Front shock suggestions by redromo
Started on: 01-18-2022 03:43 PM
Replies: 9 (420 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 01-29-2022 01:14 AM
redromo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 85 with WCF frront springs and Fiero Guru rear coilovers. Car sits about 1.5" lower than stock. Looking for some stiffer front shock suggestions or the ride difference between the Koni and KYB? Has anyone installed WCF Viking double shocks?

------------------
1985 SE 2M6

[This message has been edited by redromo (edited 01-19-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
redromo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really difficult, cause one brand of shock that works on an 85 fox body Mustang might ride terrible on 85 Fiero, and throwing different spring rates into the mix, its all trial and error. Your best hope is somebody who has similar springs on their Fiero and been down that road already, might take them a while to see your posting. Suggest searching archives with one keyword at a time.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 01-19-2022).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The KYB Gas-a-just shocks are a copy of the Bilstein (DeCarbon) monotube shocks. They have variable valve that tightens during large movements; The valve is open (Basically soft) so you get a good ride over small bumps and such....but when you have large body movements, the valve tightens and controls that body movement.

I was trying to improve the ride and handling of my '73 mach 1 back in the late 90s. I read an Addco brochure that discussed the benefits of different shock designs...They were at the time selling the KYBs as their own brand of shock. I had the Gabriel Strider three-click adjustable shocks...It rode like a truck over small bumps...and then floated after going over a big dip or hump.

I installed the KYB Gas-A-just shocks and then took it for a test drive- over the (Broken) RR crossing...It rode so much better I actually stopped and walked back to make sure they had not re-done the crossing. I then thought "Huge improvement- but it's gotta float over the hump around the corner" and then drove around to said hump; One cycle and then movement stopped! (before it would go thru a few cycles of up-down)

To give you an idea how good my suspension tuning was (Using MUSTANG parts), when I was done I had a friend who used to race a wild Mustang (His car was finally outlawed) and Autocrossed a BMW 3 series test drive it- He stated it out-handled AND had a better ride than his 3 series.

I recommend the KYB Gas-A-just shocks....wish they made them for the rear.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-19-2022).]

redromo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redromoSend a Private Message to redromoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

The KYB Gas-a-just shocks are a copy of the Bilstein (DeCarbon) monotube shocks. They have variable valve that tightens during large movements; The valve is open (Basically soft) so you get a good ride over small bumps and such....but when you have large body movements, the valve tightens and controls that body movement.

I was trying to improve the ride and handling of my '73 mach 1 back in the late 90s. I read an Addco brochure that discussed the benefits of different shock designs...They were at the time selling the KYBs as their own brand of shock. I had the Gabriel Strider three-click adjustable shocks...It rode like a truck over small bumps...and then floated after going over a big dip or hump.

I installed the KYB Gas-A-just shocks and then took it for a test drive- over the (Broken) RR crossing...It rode so much better I actually stopped and walked back to make sure they had not re-done the crossing. I then thought "Huge improvement- but it's gotta float over the hump around the corner" and then drove around to said hump; One cycle and then movement stopped! (before it would go thru a few cycles of up-down)

To give you an idea how good my suspension tuning was (Using MUSTANG parts), when I was done I had a friend who used to race a wild Mustang (His car was finally outlawed) and Autocrossed a BMW 3 series test drive it- He stated it out-handled AND had a better ride than his 3 series.

I recommend the KYB Gas-A-just shocks....wish they made them for the rear.

Thank you for this detailed post! Very much appreciated.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to throw a monkey into the works….
I have used (and still use KYB) struts and shocks because:
A) They are far cheaper than Koni’s
B) They work great….,,, for a while. I’ve been using KYB’s forever on both my Fiero’s and I am convinced they don’t last very long. I’ve replaced some at 20K miles and I swear they get weak early in their lifespan.
Kit
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the KYBs in front of an 86GT a few years ago. They lift the car. They exert a constant pressure to expand, they don't just resist movement. They're made to supplement the springs, apparently.
The nose sits higher than it did with the stock shocks.
I'm okay with it, but if you want your car to sit really low then it might bother you.
I didn't know Konis were still available, thought those were last made in the 90s or something.

[This message has been edited by armos (edited 01-28-2022).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by armos:

I put the KYBs in front of an 86GT a few years ago. They lift the car. They exert a constant pressure to expand, they don't just resist movement. They're made to supplement the springs, apparently.

My experience with aftermarket (KYB and Monroe) struts/shocks is that yes, they resist movement in both directions, as opposed to the factory Fiero struts/shocks which only resist the rebound. With the aftermarket units however, I personally have not witnessed any "constant pressure to expand" that was anything more than negligible.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2022 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My original heavily worn Fiero shocks and struts were replaced with Monroe Sensi-Trak (gas-charged), and my Golf-based Volkswagen's 2 year old stock front and rear struts/shocks were upgraded to Bilstein gas units. Both times the new parts raised the ride height of the cars, even weeks later. No other suspension work was performed at that time. The lift with the Monroe's was about 1/2 inch, and the Bilstein's about twice that. Maybe that was not typical however?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2022 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The shocks that you are talking about are "High-pressure gas-charged".....The gas is at a very high pressure (360 PSI) to eliminate foaming of the oil in the shock. But this pressure does create LIFT. I adjusted the ride height of both my '73 Mustang and my '85 Fiero to counteract this lift.

If you drive a long windy road then the high-pressure shocks will continue to perform well....Low-pressure and no-gas-pressure shocks will fade away due to foaming.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock