1985 SE Fuel Pump Issues by hmmhunter
Started on: 01-16-2022 05:01 PM
Replies: 6 (249 views)
Last post by: hmmhunter on 01-19-2022 01:56 PM
hmmhunter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2022 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hmmhunterSend a Private Message to hmmhunterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I picked up a 1985 Fiero SE that hadn’t been run since 2004, I just finished replacing the fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator. I also replaced almost all components of the ignition system, and know they are working properly.
When I turn the key on, the pump is noticeably quieter (barely hear it) and I’m not getting any pressure to the rail. I changed the fuel filter again and it was full of fuel, and the spark plugs had a little fuel on them but still zero pressure to the rail—maybe the pump worked at first but not anymore? I tested the relay and fuse and they are both working, the ECM has power and seems to be functioning properly.

I’m going to start pulling the tank again to check the fuel pump connections but figured I’d ask for help here since I have no idea what the problem could be.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2022 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was the new fuel pump the correct one for the 2.8, and not for the duke?

What condition was the flexible hose in inside the tank when you put things back together? Was it the proper submersible hose?
hmmhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hmmhunterSend a Private Message to hmmhunterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I pulled the pump out and bench tested it, just to find the the factory plug was wired backwards—after pulling the wires out and switching them, it worked just fine.

Got it all back together and it won’t start. If I wait 20 minutes and try to start it, it will fire a few times and smoke like crazy, but then just cranks and cranks. It seemed to do better with starting fluid but still didn’t really run. Any advice on what I should check first?

Since it ran last I’ve replaced the fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and ignition coil. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the fuel pressure now? Does it hold pressure for a few minutes after cranking? Review your plug wires positions..it's easy to get that wrong.
hmmhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hmmhunterSend a Private Message to hmmhunterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fuel pressure tester broke so I just got a new one today and found it dropping immediately, so I pulled the intake manifold off and found an injector o ring leaking a lot. I’ll replace it when the new injector arrives tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a lot of junk floating around a fuel system that sat for 17 years. You may have to replace the fuel filter a few times as well as clean all the injectors (even tho they are new).
hmmhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hmmhunterSend a Private Message to hmmhunterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That’s a good point, I’ve replaced the fuel filter twice now and drained the fuel system, but it might take some more work.

I fixed the leaking injector and it still wouldn’t start, but with starting fluid it starts fine. Starting to wonder if there’s an electrical issue to the injectors.

In addition I got a code 42, and even after redoing all the plug wires and putting the old ignition coil in, it still won’t go away. Not sure if that’s a separate problem though. The plugs are getting spark but that’s about all the diagnosing I did on that issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock