88 vs Prior Year Front Suspension Question by yostra
Started on: 11-08-2021 06:46 PM
Replies: 4 (586 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 11-09-2021 07:41 AM
yostra

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yostraSend a Private Message to yostraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got an '88 Formula that took a hit on the front lower control arm. The problem is that it mangled the mounting bracket and ripped partially from the subframe.
I have a local shop that will weld in a new bracket, but they want an undamaged one to work with.
Does any one know if the brackets welded to the subframe are identical among years, or is the 88 unique?
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those tabs are unique to the 88. The 84-87 are completely different.
yostra

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2021 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yostraSend a Private Message to yostraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I was afraid of. Finding a donor will be a little more difficult, but it is what it is.
Thanks for your help
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you do succeed in finding a donor, it might just be simpler to pull the entire crossmember and swap it in. Otherwise you're going to have to grind off the tabs and then have them ground down and fitted and then pay someone to weld them and hope they do it right. Also I doubt that anyone will be willing to cut up a good crossmember so you're looking for a damaged one which would probably have been scrapped.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2021 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would replace the front cross member.

I would also take some measurements of the front lower frame rails to insure the space frame hasn't been tweaked.

The 88 Factory Service Manual has info on dimensions you can reference when measuring for space frame distortion.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock