Fluttery dash lights by gb.84.fier0
Started on: 11-05-2021 05:32 PM
Replies: 13 (237 views)
Last post by: gb.84.fier0 on 11-15-2021 11:22 AM
gb.84.fier0

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my 84 se has/had fluttery lights and voltage needle when the battery was low on juice. After driving the car, those issues are gone but when I put the headlights up when idling, the car almost wants to stall. I replaced the alternator, and it looked the same as mine, and oreillys said it would fit. Maybe I got a weak alternator? Or a bad battery?

Also one more thing because I don't want to start a new page just for this: The CEL comes on when the car is idling in drive, but then goes off when in park. It's an auto trans.

------------------
84 stock :(

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got a bad ground.....now the problem is to find it.,,,,
gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a video if that helps

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/qjtlFZ0WBh1R

------------------

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is that groaning sound? Make sure the connections are tight at the starter. And look up the code on the light....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-05-2021).]

gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is after installing an ecm, maybe it learning codes? Idk.
Also, the fuel gauge is pegged all the way right, I think it shorted out, could that cause this?

------------------

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gb.84.fier0:
I think it shorted out, could that cause this?

No. the fuel gauge circuit is open. If it shorted out you would blow a fuse. The volt meter is all over the place....maybe a bad regulator in the alternator.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-05-2021).]

gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2021 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright, so what are some of the major grounds that could cause this?

------------------

gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2021 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh sorry, that groaning was the door I believe

------------------

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery cables often look better than they are. Take them off and wire brush the ends and the attachment points. They may be corroded inside the insulation, so a new set may be in order. Check the Ogre's cave for the major ground locations in the car.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-07-2021).]

gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2021 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a new positive cable, the negative looks ok, although the cable that connects to the negative looks pk, although the screw is very corroded and I couldn't clean it that well, im guessing it doesn't use the screw to ground but you never know

------------------

gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2021 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump, also the engine actually stalled today because of electrical issues, like I put up the headlights and it stalled

------------------

PFF
System Bot
1Packrat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2021 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1PackratSend a Private Message to 1PackratEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 is different in many ways and I am not sure about the wiring but I had this problem on my 86gt and this is what I found…

The main cable from the battery only carries voltage to the starter. All the other systems on the car are feed through the smaller wire that runs from the positive battery terminal over to a distribution point on the right side of the engine compartment. That wire after cutting the insulation back was so corroded it was causing power loss to all the electrical systems in the car. Running a new larger wire over to the block solved all power problems in the car. The car use to have the symptom of when you would activate the turn signals you could watch the amp gauge move this also happened when you would turn on the headlights. After replacing the main wire this all stopped.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2021 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, 84 wiring is way different then all other Fiero.

Big one See my Cave, Alternator Sense

Plus several fusible links go to big starter term same as big battery cable and often have problems.

As to grounds... clean/fix every ground and coat ends that bolt/screw to engine or frame w/ silicone or brake grease.
See my Cave, Wire Service
Many 84 grounds are same or close to ground list locations there.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

gb.84.fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2021 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gb.84.fier0Send a Private Message to gb.84.fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes! That issue with the turn signal making the gauge move happens to me too. I will check out that wire when I have time.
Thanks!

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock