Front and rear trunk stuck by frockfiero
Started on: 10-05-2021 12:44 PM
Replies: 1 (202 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 10-05-2021 06:04 PM
frockfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frockfieroSend a Private Message to frockfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 GT Fastback and I cannot get into the trunk in the front or back.

The front trunk has a broken release lever. I tried the pill bottle release and this is stuck as well. I pulled on it with a pair of pliers using the door jam for some support and nothing. The car has been sitting for 10+ years. How can I get access to it? Is there a certain way the backup release needs to be pulled?

The rear trunk is also seized. I drilled out the lock completely and cannot seem to open with a screwdriver from the main release. I'm afraid I need to cut the trunk open where the latch is, but don't want to destroy my trunk in the process.

Thanks for the help.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. On the front hood have an assistant pull the release cable as hard as he or she can and while holding it you try to lift the hood. There is a spring in the center of the cowl that makes the hood jump up an inch or so. If that spring is weak or missing the hood will not lift from the latch so when you release the cable the hood is still locked.

Rear is similar. Have assistant turn key or pull cable and hold in position while you lift the deck lid. If the deck lid torsion bars have been removed or broken the lid will not spring up from the latch. Ask me how I know. If you have a spoiler like I do and no torsion bars it will feel like you're lifting 30 lbs or more.

Let us know if this helps.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 10-05-2021).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock