Clutch Questions by willyt
Started on: 10-05-2021 11:05 AM
Replies: 8 (237 views)
Last post by: willyt on 10-05-2021 09:20 PM
willyt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I have recently noticed that my clutch has been slipping, I wanted to ask a few questions before I start planning to replace it.

First off, I have an 86 SE - v6 with the 5 speed Getrag, 55000 miles. My clutch has always engaged at the top of the pedal, since I bought the car a year and a half ago. Recently I have found that in top gear under full throttle the clutch will slip. It does not slip during normal driving. I learned how to drive manual in this car so it is somewhat likely that the clutch is worn out.

1. Is there anything else I should check before replacing the clutch? (Bleed, flush the system, etc?)

2. I have found that leaking fluids can cause the clutch to slip as well. I have a transmission fluid leak - I’m not sure where it’s coming from. I have already replaced the axle seals. What should I check to pinpoint the leak?

3. What else should I look at replacing with the clutch? I know that my differential bearings are worn, is it worth tearing apart my transmission to replace them while I have the transmission out?

------------------
1986 Fiero SE. V6 5 speed.

[This message has been edited by willyt (edited 10-05-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A clutch will usually show signs of slilppage in the higher gears and as wear progresses, the slipping will become apparent in the lower gears.

Fluid leaks from a Getrag usually come from the area of the input shaft or from the axle seals. It really isn't difficult to damage an axle seal when installing it. It should be apparent with an under car inspection to determine the source of the leak. If it's coming from the bottom of the bellhousing, it could be either transmission oil or engine oil. Be sure it's clear or near clear. If it's discolored, it isn't from the transmission.

Clutch fluid leaks won't cause a clutch to slip. It will cause problems with disengaging. When replacing the clutch, do a complete replacement, including the throwout bearing. Some kits come with a pilot shaft bushing that's inserted into the rear of the crankshaft in some cars. The Fiero doesn't use that bushing. If you install it, you will have issues installing the transmission.

When pulling the transmission, just unbolt the slave cylinder and hang it out of the way. No need to disconnect the fluid line. But, don't touch the clutch pedal until you get everything back together.

I'm not sure if the transmission can be disassembled and reassembled without some specialized tooling. Someone else may be able to address that issue.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your reply. It sounds like I’m definitely in for a clutch replacement. I’m hoping it hangs on until winter when I won’t be driving the car anyway.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In your neck of the woods winter can't be too far away. Try to use lower gears instead of lugging in the higher gears. That will help to prolong the life of the clutch plate. Slow accelerations, too. Running in 4th gear won't hurt, either. The gearing is approximate to the 4-speeds of the 85 and 86 Muncie.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by willyt:

It sounds like I’m definitely in for a clutch replacement.

When it comes time to deal with it, consider installing the LUK Clutch Kit (04088). Check out its price at RockAuto. I installed this clutch in my 5-spd Formula eight years ago. Car is a daily driver (and autocrossed for four years)... clutch is still going strong.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick, I will check it out. Does anyone have experience with the Fiero store clutch kit?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what I've got in both my cars. The 87 has had a lot of Run For The Hills workouts since it was installed more than 35000 miles ago. Been using LUK kits since the 90's.
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled my transmission because of the differential bearings. I had the transmission rebuilt. Bearings and wear items were replaced. The input shaft had a new seal installed. If oil is leaking from the input shaft is theoretically possible the oil can contribute to a slipping clutch.

I dropped the cradle to do all of this. (I sent the transmission out for repair) While the engine was out I installed new gaskets and seals to fix oil leaks. I didn't pull the cylinder head off though.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to get your transmission rebuilt? I don’t know that I’m up to doing it myself.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock