COOLING SYSTEM PIPING ON DRIVERS SIDE. by eti engineer
Started on: 10-02-2021 09:00 PM
Replies: 4 (130 views)
Last post by: eti engineer on 10-05-2021 08:09 PM
eti engineer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gents,

I am in the process of finishing up my '88 Fiero to the point I can do an engine start. The only thing I have left is to finish the hoses to the cooling system. The left or passenger side was easy. One hose with two clamps and done. But I am having a problem with the section that leaves the driver side metal pipe from the radiator, at the rear of the car, and goes to the thermostat housing at the top of the engine in. It appears there is a metal pipe about three feet long, with bends and turns in it and a welded bracket which apparently goes to a fastener of some sort to hold it into place. At either end of this pipe are preformed hoses. I figured it would be no problem to hold it up where it should go and everything should match up, but for the life of me, I am not having any luck with this. Does anyone have a pictorial view of the system that I can use to see how this pipe is supported? I think I have the pipe in the car correctly, and one hose seems to line up as it should, but the other one seems all wrong. I ordered the hoses as a kit, and I am wondering if one of them is wrong.

Thanks in advance. Hope you all are having a good weekend.

eti engineer

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe Raydar's description will help.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137569.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-03-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2021 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you sourced the crossover pipe elsewhere, be aware that the pipe for the automatic and manual are slightly different in the mounting flanges on the driver's side. Also, the hose between the crossover and the water rail isn't available. You will need to use a rhino hose. It will be a little long but the wire insert it will prevent it from collapsing due to the bend.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Maybe Raydar's description will help.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/137569.html

This is what I was looking for. It was the pipe that goes across the back of the firewall. It is the original pipe, but I wasn't sure how it went in. With this schematic, and a little messing around, it all went in, in such a way that it finally made sense. I missed seeing a stud that sticks up on the cradle for the bracket that is welded to the pipe itself. Once I used that as a reference point it all became clear. Thanks a million!!!!
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2021 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eti engineer

274 posts
Member since Mar 2017

Originally posted by fierofool:

If you sourced the crossover pipe elsewhere, be aware that the pipe for the automatic and manual are slightly different in the mounting flanges on the driver's side. Also, the hose between the crossover and the water rail isn't available. You will need to use a rhino hose. It will be a little long but the wire insert it will prevent it from collapsing due to the bend.

I ordered a set of hoses from the Fiero store and this hose was formed just like the old hose and was made from the same stuff. So I think I should be ok. I will check it. While you're here, I have a question. I would assume that since in the Fiero the radiator is much lower than the engine, I will have to prime the centrifugal water pump, or fill the system from the thermostat cap. Currently, my car is on jack stands in the rear (just high enough for me to get under it in the rear) and front wheels on the ground which I assume would actually assist me in filling in this manner. I want to keep the rear end in the air until I have verified everything is ok, once I start it and run it.

Any start-up advice you might have is appreciated. I have been spinning the oil pump with a drill while putting the engine back together to ensure oiling. I have high-zinc oil in it for break in and to help protect the cam, etc. I think I have taken every precaution I can. Every car I have worked on before, I have always replaced major things like transmissions and engines with ones that were running before I put them in another car. This is the first time I have started with a rebuilt engine from the git-go. Don't want to screw it up on the first start!!! So anything you can give me from experience or know-how is appreciated.

Thanks...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock