WANTED: WINDSHIELD by Collector
Started on: 07-29-2021 03:09 PM
Replies: 18 (481 views)
Last post by: Luperman on 08-11-2021 05:32 PM
Collector

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2021 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CollectorSend a Private Message to CollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WANTED: a "WINDSHIELD" any year Fiero, "close" to Ocala Fla if possible. if you have one from a scrapped car or.... please contact me. Thank You
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2021 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Collector:

WANTED: a "WINDSHIELD" any year Fiero, "close" to Ocala Fla if possible. if you have one from a scrapped car or.... please contact me. Thank You

I went onto the safelite windshield repair website and it says you can get a replacement for fiero windshields. May not be telling the truth but worth a try.
Collector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2021 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CollectorSend a Private Message to CollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know "safelight" installs them New. (had one put in, when Insurance paid for it) I just need a used one that would otherwise go to the scrap yard. thanks
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2021 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just need a used one that would otherwise go to the scrap yard.

If you can find someone to go through all the trouble of removing a windshield and selling it to you for much less than the cost of a new one, you'd be very fortunate! Also keep in mind... it's not unlikely that a used windshield will crack when being re-installed (due to being ever-so-slightly chipped along the edge while being removed).

I have a couple of Fiero parts cars. I needed a windshield for another of my Fieros. I figured I'd "simply" swap over one of the windshields. After a whole lot of work, I got the first one 95% unstuck... and then all of a sudden... SNAP!... it cracked right down the middle.

After another whole lot of work, I successfully removed the second windshield. I was planning to try and install it myself, but after watching umpteen YouTube videos on the subject, I decided to pay a pro to come to the house to install it. Glad I did, as it's quite a task to do the job properly.

If I had to do this all over again, I'd pay a shop to install a new windshield.

The "Before" shot...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-29-2021).]

Collector

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CollectorSend a Private Message to CollectorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
just thought I'd throw the idea out there, some where no doubt someone has one sitting on a rafter or something. I have alot of parts that I cannot even give away ! and I do no HAVE the cash to buy a new one. you don't ASK, it definitely doesn't happen. LOL
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...and I do no HAVE the cash to buy a new one. you don't ASK, it definitely doesn't happen. LOL

I have absolutely no problem with what you're hoping for, as I very much enjoy saving money as well ... but I just wanted to make it clear how much work it is to successfully remove a windshield... and that's if there's a suitable donor car to remove it from. Good luck with the quest!
Craig71188

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you don't get lucky and find one out....
I needed one for our race car and did not want it installed, Safelite would not do "cash and carry", nor would several others. After calling a couple a wrecking yard that actually did have one, I found a local independent glass installer that could order one, "cash and carry" for $125 - only about $25 more than the local yard!

It took a few calls, but I was more than happy to not have to clean up another "good used" one!
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pulled 4 Fiero windshields 2 of them fully intact (one is perfect the other has 1 chip the others were badly cracked) The first one I tried with the piano wire before removing the roof and it was a pain. the other 3 I did after removing the roof. 2 of those I did with piano wire. The last one i found out that if I used a good long razor along the inside it just cut easy and came right out super fast. the interiors were all also gutted at this time. I have 2 windshields but you are on the wrong coast shipping would be insane.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I did after removing the roof... used a good long razor along the inside... the interiors were all also gutted at this time.

That was the method I used as well. One advantage you would've had over me (due to your more southern location)... the hotter the black goop, the better/easier for cutting. Not a job you'd want to try on a cold day.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2021 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Piano wire" methods/tools have many problems and 95+% removed windshields by them have problems too. And if you need to remove and protect the car body, very hard to impossible to do that.

"They" make cut out tools like https://www.amazon.com/Tool...emoval/dp/B0002SRDR8
But Fiero and some others have way more "glue" from the factory that even they have problems.

I think I've seen tips/"saws" for oscillating tools just for this job but can't find example right now.

Yes, Any nicks on edges often very small you can't see is a starting point for cracks at install time or soon after.
Is Why most good shops have 1 year to "lifetime" warranty because even New windshields can have same problem.

Plus I think edge is sealed so plastic layer never sees "water." Plastic layer can get cloudy starting at where it gets "water" and will Fail Inspection or Get a Ticket in many places same as crack glass.
Could be just water or anything polluting the water... road salt, car "soap," etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own one Fiero where we installed a good junkyard windshield years ago. It was installed on a flexible sealant bead with the Fiero outer molding and it has lasted. If the install is done correctly it will last but not always. I keep an extra used one the shelf but it was never needed. If someone needs one cheap in this area its here. $25 takes it. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2021 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call Kool Katz. Yes the same sounds a little dated, it's a mom and pop shop that I have done business with very successfully for Fiero glass. They (and other glass installers and sellers I've talked to) aren't thrilled with Safelite quality. They can get Fiero windshields, I believe it's the brand produced for/by Pilkington, and they do flat-rate shipping.

https://koolkatzautoglass.com/
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2021 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

Call Kool Katz. Yes the same sounds a little dated, it's a mom and pop shop that I have done business with very successfully for Fiero glass. They (and other glass installers and sellers I've talked to) aren't thrilled with Safelite quality. They can get Fiero windshields, I believe it's the brand produced for/by Pilkington, and they do flat-rate shipping.

https://koolkatzautoglass.com/

Internet advice is worth what you pay for. LOL it's just the cheap XYG glass from China. I can tell because they put their obtrusive logo in the lower center of the glass.

https://koolkatzautoglass.c..._sid=ac1d769ac&_ss=r

They're charging $420 shipped (+ tax?). Got one delivered to me locally of that same brand for $140 total.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 08-06-2021).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2021 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do have one sitting in my garage... I haven't bothered to mention it since I live in Nova Scotia and the cost of shipping would be stupidly expensive. But it's available for anyone so inclined.
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

Internet advice is worth what you pay for. LOL it's just the cheap XYG glass from China. I can tell because they put their obtrusive logo in the lower center of the glass.

They're charging $420 shipped (+ tax?). Got one delivered to me locally of that same brand for $140 total.

I'm also in Orange County and I've got a big crack in my Fiero windshield. Would you recommend that $140 windshield? I'd like to get an OEM or made in USA windshield, but that seems very unlikely at this stage. Was the quality okay? Did you do the install yourself? How did it work out?

[This message has been edited by gjgpff (edited 08-06-2021).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2021 05:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gjgpff:

I'm also in Orange County and I've got a big crack in my Fiero windshield. Would you recommend that $140 windshield? I'd like to get an OEM or made in USA windshield, but that seems very unlikely at this stage. Was the quality okay? Did you do the install yourself? How did it work out?

XYG was the only brand I could find. Supposedly Safelite has it's own brand but I couldn't get any information on it and they would only sell if they installed and believe it was $400+ going off memory.

I'm pretty happy with the XyG other than that obtrusive logo. I was hoping I could scratch it off with a razor blade but nope. It's definitely imbedded pretty deaply. Fortunately it's partially hidden by the driver's wiper blade in resting position (still sticks up half inch over the resting blade), but it's a horrible place to put it. As to why they put it there, I can't figure it out.

I did the install myself. The right side I didn't push in far enough so it sits a little higher than the left but no one can tell but me. I also used way too much urethane. First time doing a windshield so I'm pretty sure if I did another one it would be much better.
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2021 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

My information was not just from "the internet", as before I found Kool Katz, I had been trying to source the glass through local installers. None had great things to say about the quality of Safelight glass. Safelight will only sell to you if they are going to install it or through an installer that has a relationship with them.

I think Kool Katz website is either in need of updating, or they've had to change suppliers since I had bought one of the last PWG windshields through them. At the time I had talked to them about their stock and suppliers. XYG is *not* the brand they told me about. I'm pleased to hear you found such a great deal and I hope you get the value you are expecting out of your windshield.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

My information was not just from "the internet", as before I found Kool Katz, I had been trying to source the glass through local installers. None had great things to say about the quality of Safelight glass. Safelight will only sell to you if they are going to install it or through an installer that has a relationship with them.

I think Kool Katz website is either in need of updating, or they've had to change suppliers since I had bought one of the last PWG windshields through them. At the time I had talked to them about their stock and suppliers. XYG is *not* the brand they told me about. I'm pleased to hear you found such a great deal and I hope you get the value you are expecting out of your windshield.

The site you recommended shows the exact brand I mentioned, XYG in their picture. It's a cheap Chinese brand. My gripe is about their markup no the glass itself. I found out that glass is being sold from the Chinese factory in bulk to the US distributors for $40 a windshield. The KoolKatz is marking up over 10x. And again the XYG is the only glass I was able to find (about 6 months ago) so yes we're stuck with it. But there's no reason to pay that massive markup to support a company that's ripping people off (Koolkatz).
Luperman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2021 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a new one sitting in my garage in virginia, im willing to part with

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock