Windshield wipers won't stop. by John W. Tilford
Started on: 07-28-2021 12:37 PM
Replies: 5 (150 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 07-31-2021 07:40 PM
John W. Tilford

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2021 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'Running some errands today in town about 12 miles from home. No issues on the way out or between any of the early stops. Started the 1988 GT to leave the next-to-last stop and the wipers do one wipe. Didn't worry, thought I must have hit the wash tab on the turn signal/cruise control/wiper control stalk. Two minutes and twenty-three seconds (I timed them) later another wipe. About the same timing between the uncalled for wipes all the way home. I tried every control on the stalk along the way, e.g., all wiper speed settings ending with "off", mist, wash, flash headlights, turn signals, made sure cruise control was off.

Fairly hot day, about 90. Clear but humid. Weather has been extra humid for weeks, though. Car always in garage when home.

I had a 1996 GMC Sonoma with a nut case wiper stalk. Wouldn't turn on when you needed wipers, but would turn off when it felt like it. Same with washer fluid pump. Replaced stalk a few times. All replacements were probably made in China and still cost around $60. They would work fine when first installed and failed later. None of the replacements were fun to install. Involved taking the lower half of the dash off in order to get the underside of the steering column housing off to get to the . . you get the idea.

Please tell me there's something simple and easy to fix going on? Please?

------------------
John W. Tilford

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking with all this humid weather, you may have moisture in the switch, and made a circuit where there should not be one. If I am right, the problem should correct itself with some time passing.... that would be an easy fix.

John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2021 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall757, 'sounds good.

What do you think about - I can't believe I'm asking this - pulling out the stalk and squirting in some Water Displacing 40 (WD-40)? Maybe the new to me but I have a can, WD-40 gel?

I've heard the stalk just pulls out and can be pushed back in.

------------------
John W. Tilford

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2021 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found wiper circuit card hiding under black plastic "tray" which supports the sun roof wind deflector when stored. Removed three 7mm hex head screws and it was simple to get to the one screw for cover for the wiper card box.

Spayed card with throttle body "quick dry", which might have not been a reeel smart thing to do since the label says it's a solvent. Suspiciously an edge of the card was stuck to the rag (I'd placed to catch any droppings) when I went back hours later. Carefully pulled off rag. Sprayed with WD-40. After another delay, resembled. Drove car in rain today. No problems. No phantom wiper syndrome.

I would pretend I'd intended to spray a solvent onto the card, but I just grabbed something off the shelf. I'm probably lucky nothing seems to have been harmed. Now I can claim that mistake was intentional, that I wanted to slightly soften the coating on the card to "heal" any small cracks.

But you know better.

------------------
John W. Tilford

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2021 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Collect your 'master mechanic' badge at Fiero headquarters......

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock