Fan belt squeal / please be quiet by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 07-26-2021 06:23 PM
Replies: 5 (241 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-27-2021 11:23 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has a “secret recipe” to keep that dang fan belt quiet.
And no, I don’t have Rodney’s or Dodgerunners kits. I usually don’t have a belt squealing issue because I keep the belt tension only moderate and I use quality fan belts. (Goodyear Gatorback or Gates) However, I recently put in a new alternator and fan belt and I noticed it squeals off and on a little too much for a new belt.

In the past (years ago) I used to use a can of stuff called “Belt Dressing”. Have you tried this?
Anything else you have put on your belt to stop it from squealing?
Thanks, Kit

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

And no, I don’t have Rodney’s or Dodgerunners kits.

So whose fault is that?

I assume you're referring to the alternator belt on a factory 2.8.

I have Dodgerunner's auto-tensioner. Best money I ever spent on my V6 Fieros. Seriously.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-26-2021).]

Xenoblast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me its a two man job, one guy keeping tension on the alternator and another tightening up the belts. Use a breaker bar to keep tension. If the belt sqeaks only when the car is warm, your harmonic balancer needs to be pushed in more.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick.....I not opposed to the kits. As I said, I don’t normally have belt squeal......except for early morning starts and when water gets on the belt. Now it’s squealing at low rpm when fully warm.
I have an 85 GT auto by the way.

Can you guys please help me out on my question? I’m curious if the rubber in my fan Brit is perhaps a little too hard and needs something on it to take the hard edge off?
Kit
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2021 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I don’t normally have belt squeal......except for early morning starts and when water gets on the belt.

I suspect there isn't much precipitation in San Jose. Here in rainy Vancouver, a belt tensioner of some sort is a must-have!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-26-2021).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2021 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most have belt too loose or too tight.
Other have crap on pulleys.
See my Cave, Serpent Belt

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock