88 gt 5 speed getrag won't shift only if engine is running by zobari
Started on: 07-19-2021 07:48 AM
Replies: 21 (401 views)
Last post by: zobari on 07-24-2021 10:43 AM
zobari

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Yesterday (sunday) i've driven my 88 gt v6 fiero (133k km) with a 5 speed getrag transmission with 70% of city driving,

After 30 minutes, the feeling of the gearbox become more hard.
Thanks to God, i could park my car in my garage but now i'm not able to shift any gear included the reverse if the engine is running.
If the engine is turned off, then, i can shift and after i start the engine i can drive with one gear but if i want shifting into other gear, i must turn off the engine and i can repeat the operation = same result.

The dot 3 master/slave cylinder level is good

tranny oil level is ok and changed recently (stf tranny oil)

My clutch pedal is below the brake pedal (is it the problem and the clucth disc doesn't disangage fully due to the clutch pedal (bent pedal is-it possible) ?).

Do you have any suggestions which will help me to find the problem ?

Thanks you in advance.

[This message has been edited by zobari (edited 07-19-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, sure sounds like classic low pedal syndrome to me! You might want to check this thread on common causes of low clutch pedal: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...110502-2-108390.html and then this one on how I finally fixed

the low pedal on my 88GT: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...120111-2-108553.html

Be sure and let us know how you finally fix it!

Good Luck,
Larry

[This message has been edited by imacflier (edited 07-19-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First, if you're on level ground and start the car with it in gear, does it try to pull away? That would be a failure to disengage issue.

There are 4 good possibilities that may be causing your problem.

1. The clutch pedal is bent.
2. The master cylinder pushrod is bent.
3. The slave cylinder has failed.
4. You have air in the system and it needs to be bled.

I would first start with bleeding the system. I've had great success with gravity bleeding. My method:
Jack up the left front just enough to get the wheel off the ground.
Top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir and leave the cap off and the bottle of fluid nearby.
Open the bleeder on the slave and allow the fluid to flow while at the same time, strike the side of the slave with a heavy tool or small hammer. This helps to dislodge any air in the slave.
Keep close watch on the fluid level and top off when it nears the bottom. Don't let it run dry.
Repeat this and on the third filling of the reservoir, allow it to flow down to the full mark and close the bleeder valve. Replace the caps on the reservoir and fluid bottle. If it was air, your clutch should operate properly.

The level of the pedal tends to indicate your pedal or pushrod is bent. If the pushrod has been removed for any reason, it may have been reinstalled upside down. The curl of the pushrod should be upward. Try pulling the pedal upward to see if it will rise above the brake pedal.

If the slave cylinder has failed, the Rodney Dickman replacement slave is highly recommended.
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for your answers, it will help me a lot

I let u know when I will work on the car...
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zobari

99 posts
Member since Jul 2018
Here is 2 videos of the clutch pedal :

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

The problem is related to this pedal and the master/slave cylinder I think

Or the shifter cables are fail

[This message has been edited by zobari (edited 07-20-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zobari:

Or the shifter cables are fail

You could have no shifter cables and your clutch pedal wouldn't be that floppy!

Do the bleeding as previously advised and see what happens. If you don't have a slave cylinder with a double seal (from Rodney), I suspect there's air in your hydraulics.

This is a topic that has been discussed over and over and over again. There is a ton of info already posted about this issue.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-19-2021).]

zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I will bleed the Hydraulic liquid from slave clutch cylinder and master cylinder.

But in the last video.i have some difficulty to change to first and 5th engine off but then All gear was fin on the last of video but the feeling is a bit hard.
A problem with clutch pedal can cause some difficulty to change gear with the engine turned off ?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, sometimes it's difficult to get into some gears because nothing is moving and gears don't perfectly match together. First or Reverse would be most common. At least on both mine.

I just looked at the video. Something's wrong. The pedal should spring up and stay up when released in that manner. It shouldn't bounce up and down.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-19-2021).]

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2021 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 03:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your suggestions.

I will bleed with the archie procedure for the master and slave cylinder and i wil lsee what's happening

The rear slave cylinder has been changed in 2016 but the one in the front has never been changed, big chance that this old one is faulty...

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I just looked at the video. Something's wrong. The pedal should spring up and stay up when released in that manner. It shouldn't bounce up and down.

It does act very odd. I wonder if the factory installed clutch pedal return spring (which was subsequently recommended to be removed) is responsible for the "bounce".

But I still think the root problem is air in the hydraulics.

The rear slave cylinder has been changed in 2016...

If you installed a slave with a single seal, it's crap, and is possibly the source of the problem.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-20-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 04:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the slave cylinder changed in 2016 :

https://www.fierostore.com/...px?s=54211&d=103&p=1

I don't know if it's a good slave cylinder.

I've bought my fiero in 2017, this was the previous owner has changed this part (i've seen the invoice from fierostore)

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The Fiero Store 86-88 V6 5spd New Clutch Slave Cyl

I don't know if it's a good slave cylinder.

At the Fiero Store site it states... "These units are made to original GM specifications." If that's the case, then I suspect the slave cylinder only has one seal, which would definitely be more prone to sucking air into the system than the double seal slave that Rodney Dickman sells.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking that the problem lies at the front end. The way the pedal free-swings says it's just hanging there. There's no resistance from the master cylinder piston and spring until it reaches the bottom of the bore. I think the master cylinder piston is stuck. It couldn't be that the pushrod has detached and the small spring inside the master cylinder would still give some resistance to the pedal.
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will buy the the clutch master and slave cylinder from Rodney dickman and then I will bleed and I think the problem will solved...

Thanks for your helps and suggestions 👍

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2021 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will buy the the clutch master and slave cylinder from Rodney dickman and then I will bleed and I think the problem will solved...

Not that it's a bad idea to buy a clutch slave and master from Rodney (as they're both great quality), but why don't you try just bleeding the system first before making any changes to it? See what happens! If nothing else, it's good practice.

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2021 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sound to me like you have this problem going on 🧐 this happened on my 86 gt 2.8 4 speed when I bought from the previous owner he thought it was the slave cylinder or master well changed both out and come to find out I still couldn’t go into gear but had nice pressure at the pedal and that 1-1/2 of the slave rod movement. This was when I was like the clutch is gone let’s drop the cradle and see what happened soon as I had the trans separated from the motor the pressure plate was visible. Removed that and boom this spring fell on the ground 🤷‍♂️. That’s when it was time to install new clutch and get the flywheel resurfaced put all back together fiero 2.8 was driving and good to go
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2021 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if the pushrod were removed from the slave cylinder, there would be pressure holding the clutch pedal at the top of its travel. It wouldn't let the pedal free swing the way it does. I think the problem is in that area, not at the slave or transmission. It may even be that the clip holding the master cylinder pushrod came off and the pushrod slipped off the pedal. None of this has apparently been checked out.

Do a visual inspection of the clutch pedal and the pushrod that attaches it to the master cylinder to be they are still attached.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2021 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

It may even be that the clip holding the master cylinder pushrod came off and the pushrod slipped off the pedal. None of this has apparently been checked out.

Do a visual inspection of the clutch pedal and the pushrod that attaches it to the master cylinder to be they are still attached.

I would think that the OP would've done that already (and found no evidence of detachment to report)... but yes, I suppose I shouldn't make any assumptions!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-21-2021).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2021 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw the tool in the floor under the pedal is why I thought of that.
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2021 03:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your responses.

I will check this next week.

PFF
System Bot
zobari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2021 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zobariSend a Private Message to zobariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

Today I have disassemble the clutch master cylinder.

Here is the poor condition for this part on this video :

Video clutch master cylinder

I will purchase the Rodney dickman one

[This message has been edited by zobari (edited 07-24-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay