Issue with stuck idle when hot by jjd2296
Started on: 06-20-2021 09:33 AM
Replies: 5 (113 views)
Last post by: jjd2296 on 06-28-2021 03:35 PM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So im trying to sort out a small issue i exerience when the car is nice and hot after a drive. The idle will hold at either 2k or 1500 while driving. If i tap on the peddle it settles back to 950. if I come to a stop it will sometimes drop to 500 then back to 950, sometimes needing a slight tap on the peddle.

Then if I turn it off and go to start it it takes a bit on the crank before it goes. and my idle issue is back. Non of this happens on a cold start or on a short drive with engine not hot.

its not my throttle sticking as ive tested that. Ive replaced ther IAC twice as well. could it be carbon build up in the TB?

its the weirdest thing.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine, year, transmission?

I'd still say your throttle cable might be stuck. Impossible to tell if you're on your own as I have a similar problem and moving the throttle by hand all is great.

But if the cable sticks you have to have another person behind the wheel hitting the gas while you look at your throttle.

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 06-20-2021).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A hard short hot stop can be caused by a leaking fuel injector. Look for dribbles on the 2.5. Check for falling fuel pressure on the 2.8.

FYI - The ECM is programmed to idle the engine substantially faster when the car is rolling than when it is stopped. With the car traveling at 25 mph take the transmission out of gear and slowly come to a stop. At about 6 mph the idle speed will drop.
jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry i should have been more specific. I have a 3.4 pr fully modded with darrel morse TB and supercharger. theres no injector leak, like i said it only stick when hot, like after a hour or more drive. the throttle canle is super loose no binding at all. i didnt have th eissue prior to installing the darrel morse bore TB, im thinking that maybe when it gets hot that the spring is sticking on the tb?

[This message has been edited by jjd2296 (edited 06-20-2021).]

Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

i didnt have th eissue prior to installing the darrel morse bore TB, im thinking that maybe when it gets hot that the spring is sticking on the tb?

Start there, swap out and see if it goes away, probably heat expansion related issue to that component.

jjd2296

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2021 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thnx Skybax, I swapped out the TB for a known good one. problem gone. Ill have to take this one apart and sand down some of the parts for better movement.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock