4.9 alt Bracket on allante i take question by PAUL66
Started on: 06-19-2021 10:42 AM
Replies: 10 (206 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 06-21-2021 11:28 PM
PAUL66

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally getting around to working on my swap. I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit in the tank, demoted my battery up front and installed Rodney Dickman ultimate shift kit with his cables. I started tearing down my 4.9 to rebuild. I set my allante intake on it just for fun and I notice the 4.9 alt bracket will require much more modification than I thought. It looks like the front three bolts will line up if the back of the bracket is extremely trimmed or cut off. Does the pulley line up correctly in this case? Do you cut the back off or trim it so that the rear alt bracket can still be used? I am a little nervous because this will affect the alternator, idler and tensioner alignment. Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Paul[img]//images.fiero.nl/userimages/PAUL66/93 9CA19F-28C1-4990-ADB6-23F67CE407AD.jpeg[/img]
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of us here have completed the 4.9L swap but even fewer have used the 4.5L manifold. While the pics show the smaller C130 alternator mounting adaptation on my 4.9L engine it might offer some ideas on how to make the 4.5L alternator bracket fit. The swap may be dated it still offers, low swap cost, low engine weight, plenty of torque, a relatively easy installation and great hwy mileage. You will need to tweak the program to work with this manifold that uses a different throttle body and TPS. You might ask Raydar about that as he is the one that pointed this out.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-19-2021).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember my 4.9 bracket looking like that, but I believe I used mine for the Allante intake. I *did* use the 4.9 alternator. It makes it very crowded on top of that intake.
I had to remove a substantial portion of the back end of the bracket, to make it fit. I believe I used a cutoff wheel to do the deed.
Everything that lined up before, still lines up. (Pulleys, brackets, etc.)

On second thought... Maybe my bracket WAS like yours. I figured there would be one for sale on eBay, to compare. The two that I found look exactly like yours. And there was nothing remarkable about mine that should have made it any different.

Don't know if this will be useful or not...

Edit - Now I'm going to have to go and look. (And yeah... Dennis' installation is much prettier than mine. (Although I didn't do the initial install, I did the Allante stuff and the 5 speed.)

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-19-2021).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I don't remember my 4.9 bracket looking like that, but I believe I used mine for the Allante intake. I *did* use the 4.9 alternator. It makes it very crowded on top of that intake.
Edit - Now I'm going to have to go and look. (And yeah... Dennis' installation is much prettier than mine. (Although I didn't do the initial install, I did the Allante stuff and the 5 speed.)

Very good point. My 4.9L alternator bracket did not look like that either. Maybe it was for an earlier 4.1L/4.5L engine. Actually the real reason of using the smaller GM C130 alternator was gaining deck clearance that I really didn't need as the car is a notchback. Regardless I do like the more compact look but adapting that to the 4.9L (its an 87 Grand Am unit) required making some very precise spacers, and a small straight bracket piece to achieve proper belt alignment. As for being a pretty swap; IMO the 4.9L swap is a difficult engine to achieve that look but if you move the MAP sensor to the front side, remove the EGR valve and put a block off plate there (for off road use only of course) it takes away a bit of the cluttered look. Good luck with the swap. Its miles better than the 2.8L.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-19-2021).]

PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2021 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis and Radar,

Thank you, I was secretly hoping you would reply. I knew Radar had done the Allante intake. I want to keep the bigger output alt even at the expense of a little ugliness. Radar if you get a chance to verify if you cut the whole back that goes up against the plenum off or just trimmed the crap out of it I would greatly appreciate it. I know yours has been going for awhile so tht would instill a lot of confidence in duplicating your setup. Thanks again guys. I am looking forward to joining the 4.9 club. I really thing for the street driver it makes the most since in a swap. If your trying to be the fastest maybe not. I like it’s simplicity in swap and it will be a V8. Picture Tim Allen making dog noises!!!!

Paul
PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this pic from the guy who put the super charger on his. He was showing how he lowered the alternator but it gave me a good view of what was cut just to make it work on the allante manifold.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks very familiar.
I'll have to go and look. I'm not sure that my alternator is supported on the back side, at all. But it hasn't caused any issues. At least not so far.
If I don't get covered up with honey-do's, I'll try to get some pics today.

Edit... I remember what I did now. I ran a flat strap from the bolt nearest the shock tower to a boss on the lower intake. (You can see it beneath the corrugated loom.)
This is not regular pipe strapping. It's fairly thick. Pretty much "bar stock" except that it's drilled. No idea where it came from.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-20-2021).]

PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Radar,

Thanks for the pic. I was thinking I could run a strap there. Once I cut mine up I am going to see how sturdy it is.

Paul
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2021 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Allante alt bracket is different than the regular 4.9 one. I had the 4.9 one and just cut off enough of the bracket to fit the Allante intake.
PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2021 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spadesluck,

Yeah between Radar and that other pic I found I am going to do the same. I will post some pics when done. How is you engine build coming? I suppose you are done with the build buy now. I was following you on FB before I dropped off of that platform because of my extreme dislike of the Zuck!

Paul
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2021 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PAUL66:

Spadesluck,

Yeah between Radar and that other pic I found I am going to do the same. I will post some pics when done. How is you engine build coming? I suppose you are done with the build buy now. I was following you on FB before I dropped off of that platform because of my extreme dislike of the Zuck!

Paul

Motor is all built. Harness is done. F40 trans/clutch done and attached to the motor. All of this is sitting on an 88 cradle ready to go for the most part. But, it is all in storage because we just moved to Georgia. Waiting to close on a house out here before I can do anything car related.

I feel your pain with social media for sure. Going to build a website eventually and try to move to that for my business stuff.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock