WS6 vs Regular steering rack by zkhennings
Started on: 05-14-2021 08:23 PM
Replies: 8 (426 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 05-19-2021 10:26 AM
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you tell the difference between the steering racks without the car or vin#? I am trying to get one and the seller is unsure about what racks he has, he just has the racks. Looking for physical differences or possible part numbers or casting numbers. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WS6 has nothing w/ the rack. WS6 is mostly BS marketing w/ maybe minor changes to whatever car suspension.

GT and Some other Fiero have 3:1 rack
most are 3.5:1 rack

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My understanding was the quicker ratio rack came with cars that had the WS6 package like the GTs and Formulas.

Regardless, I am looking for ways to tell the 3:1 and 3.5:1 ratio racks apart since I do not know what car the rack came from.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year? The consensus on the forums seems to be that all 88s had the same rack. I just grabbed a spare 88 rack out of a coupe and I believe I can use that in my GTs if I ever need it.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I do not know the years but I don’t think any of the racks are from 88s. I’m just gonna spin the input shafts with vice grips and see how many turns it takes lock to lock.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

zkhennings

1919 posts
Member since Oct 2010
They all spun exactly 3.5 turns lock to lock when not bolted into the car. Just an FYI for anyone in a similar situation.
Mark_j

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark_jSend a Private Message to Mark_jEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It appears that 3 different racks were used during the entire production run. I don't know the ratios of of the three but they are as follows:

1984 used STD and a WS6 rack
1985 used a WS6 rack only
1986-1987 used STD and WS6
1988 used a different rack from all other years (or so it seems)

Part #'s don't really matter at this point other than for reference:

WS6 rack GM Part # 7847087 - used in 84, 85, 86 & 87 cars
STD rack GM Part # 7846408 - used in 84, 86, 87 cars

The 88 rack appears to be unique to that year and no specific assy # is list (at least in my references)

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow thanks Mark, I guess I just always assumed my 85 base model came with the slower 3.5:1 ratio rack, but I just went and checked and it is indeed the faster 3:1 ratio rack. Looks like I don’t need a new rack after all.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to add info to the thread....

All 88 racks are 3.25/1

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock