Started on: 05-13-2021 10:46 PM
Replies: 21 (339 views)
Last post by: fierogt28 on 05-24-2021 06:55 PM
watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on a fairly low mileage 88. ~65K miles.

Everyone and their dog knows about the r/h rack bushing (this one is tight), but this one seems to have issues on the left hand side!
Moving the rack back/forth gets you a rapid thumping, as the teeth of the rack rumble against a steel collar inside.

The bearings on the input pinion shaft are perfect. I can't see wear on the pinion gear.

Looked at the parts breakdown in the manual, nothing appears to be missing. What am I not seeing??

Thx.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2021 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to be clear, I've got the rack removed, mounted in my vice!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Miles don't matter...
The suspension and thus the rack maybe hit something on left side.
May need to pull the unit apart.
Also may need to look very hard at rest of left side.
Big potholes etc can damage one side w/o obvious damage to rest of car.
Can bend more of left side or not because CA have rubber to protect them unless hits a large thing and rubber can't take total impact.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2021 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's mounted in my vise. It's been 100% taken apart, parts all cleaned and lubed.
Sorry, thought the dismantled part was implied.

I've got the car on my hoist. There is no damage to anything else.

I've been working on P-bodies for over 20 years, and this is the first time I've seen this - of course, most of those were early cars.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you change both upper and lower pinion bearings? Whether they "look" ok doesn't matter. If the bearings aren't turning freely then it can cause drag and other issues.
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They look ok, as they are ok. I've removed, cleaned, tested, re-lubed and reinstalled.

To be clear... I'm a licensed mechanic, this is not my first rodeo.
I've just never encountered this issue on an 88 rack.

Does anyone have one apart right now? Can you look down the drivers (left) hole, and measure the ID of the steel collar in there?
Is there a sleeve/bushing/something that just isn't there on this one? What I'm hearing is the teeth of the rack rumbling across that steel collar.

Mark_j

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark_jSend a Private Message to Mark_jEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by watts:

Looked at the parts breakdown in the manual, nothing appears to be missing. What am I not seeing??

Thx.

Have you checked the run out of the tie rods and the rack itself? If it sounds like the teeth are rubbing the guide ring I would check to see if the rack hasn't been tweeked slightly.
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Checked the main rack, and it's dead straight in 2 axis - so no bend at all.

But!
The rack itself is 21.96mm diameter (very consistent end to end, and again in 2 axis).
The collar/bushing (on the left, not the plastic r/h one!) has an ID of 23.25mm - again, very consistently. So if it's wear, it's done a great job of it.

Ignoring that this a PS rack - position premise is the same:

[This message has been edited by watts (edited 05-16-2021).]

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2021 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

watts

3256 posts
Member since Aug 2001
And speaking of the above power rack - the GM parts site I grabbed that from, seems to think that it's for an '88 Fiero!
As well as a 2 years of Bonneville.

I'm sure someone's tested THAT theory over the years!
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yeah, that is a separate sintered iron (that's what it feels like anyhow) bushing.
Heated up the end of the rack, and a few taps later it was out.

Just because it's easier than searching forever, guess I'll make a new one.

I mean, they don't even have a number on any drawings I've found associated with it!
So to buy one is probably right out.

Thinking 932 Bronze?
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The driver's side I believe is a pressed in aluminum bushing. It defnitely didn't have any rust like a steel one would when I rebuilt both of mine.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney to the rescue (passenger side only).
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=101

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-21-2021).]

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Tony - wrong side!

I thought there was someone that had modelled the whole rack, was hoping he'd see this and chime in.

Bushing was for sure not aluminum. Totally looked, felt, and weighed about what powdered metal would be.
Was stupid busy at work and didn't get a chance to call around to find some material. Hopefully tomorrow so I can get it done over the long.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2021 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's the update?
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2021 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be inclined to think that the issue would be with the bearings for the input shaft since it seems to be on the left side. It's common for them to deteriorate from what I've heard.... Rodney Dickman sells them, they're pretty cheap and they go in easy; I replaced them when I overhauled my suspension a few years ago. https://rodneydickman.com/p...php?products_id=370. If everything looks good suspension wise like you're saying it is, I'd rebuild the rack with some new bearings and a bunch of high quality grease as well as the brass bushing on the right side... Though it couldn't hurt to replace the ball joints and tie rods while everything is apart. Low miles or not I'd do it anyway due to age, honestly!

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2021 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:
What's the update?

[This message has been edited by watts (edited 05-24-2021).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You said the ID of the original one was 23.25mm. What's the ID of the one you fabricated?

How did you get the original one out?

I remember mine had a lot of clearance between the rack and that bushing but neither makes any noise like you describe and the steering is like new.
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*** EDIT ***
*** DO NOT BUILD ***

You said the ID of the original one was 23.25mm. What's the ID of the one you fabricated?

How did you get the original one out?

OD of the rack itself is 21.96-22.00, so I made xxx.

There's a small clearance area on the inside, just (!) big enough to get a hook behind.
Heated the rack end to let it swell, and with a slide hammer got it out. There are inside bearing pullers that would have worked better, but I don't have anything the right size/shape.

-

There isn't enough (built in slop?) to let the input pinion go back in correctly. I'm going to have to sneak up on it to find the happy spot.
Sure be nice if someone with a good working rack had taken these measurements... sigh...
A sample size of ONE does not good data make! Heh.

[This message has been edited by watts (edited 05-24-2021).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work! Wish I could fabricate... well, anything.

And speaking of the above power rack - the GM parts site I grabbed that from, seems to think that it's for an '88 Fiero!
As well as a 2 years of Bonneville.

I'm sure someone's tested THAT theory over the years!

First time I've ever heard that!
But wouldn't that be a b!tch, after all these years?

Edit - Of course I had to check. Obviously a mistake. W-body has the rack behind the wheels. Turns the wrong way.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-24-2021).]

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I remember mine had a lot of clearance between the rack and that bushing

I know you probably didn't measure it, but... do you think it was actually ~1.5mm ?!

If it was that much, it just seems nuts as it wouldn't actually contact anything.
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

watts

3256 posts
Member since Aug 2001
F'n 'ell. This whole bushing has been a red herring it looks like. I'm wiping a lot of my posts above so nobody gets thrown off in the future.

It makes no difference if it's in or out!!! Exact same noise. Watch this: https://youtu.be/sjTRVDYVLBM
I pushed the bushing in slightly, so it would "fall out" part way through the stroke as you'll see.

I have zero idea what now, but it seems to (?!) have something to do with the gear engagement itself.
Makes no difference if it's the far left, or far right, or center of the rack. Each tooth of the input pinion makes the same noise. I've tried sliding it in/out to change the engagement spot. Same.

Done it with, without the preload.

I hate to throw in the towel and just say replace it, but... there just aren't enough to compare to, to find the actual issue.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2021 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

F'n 'ell. This whole bushing has been a red herring it looks like. I'm wiping a lot of my posts above so nobody gets thrown off in the future.

It makes no difference if it's in or out!!! Exact same noise. Watch this: https://youtu.be/sjTRVDYVLBM
I pushed the bushing in slightly, so it would "fall out" part way through the stroke as you'll see.

I have zero idea what now, but it seems to (?!) have something to do with the gear engagement itself.
Makes no difference if it's the far left, or far right, or center of the rack. Each tooth of the input pinion makes the same noise. I've tried sliding it in/out to change the engagement spot. Same.

Done it with, without the preload.

I hate to throw in the towel and just say replace it, but... there just aren't enough to compare to, to find the actual issue.

Watts, I'd just get another 88 rack. If you really look, you can get one.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock