Valve stem seals on an '85 duke? How many? Yeah I know by cebix
Started on: 05-08-2021 05:16 AM
Replies: 14 (194 views)
Last post by: cebix on 05-15-2021 06:24 AM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Going to replace my valve stem seals finally to see if it'll clear up the startup smoke and long idling smoke.

But I have no idea what to order.

Does anyone here know if the '85 duke has 8 valve stem seals? Or do the exhaust valves don't have them? There are also these big stem seals and small orings available at rockauto.

Really don't want to order these twice from the USA since the car will be sitting at a shop for a month longer.

Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The valve stem seals are sold in sets of 8 and the intake and exhaust seals should be the same. The seals should be the same as used on many GM cars, from the 1960's to 1980's , 1970-1985 Volvos and a few Isuzu' s so they should be able to be easily found in Europe. If you wish to match them up, the valves stems have an 11/32" stem and a .530" guide OD. Using the right tools these valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the head. Replacing the seals may or may not cure the smoking problem, but I would say that it should help.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

The valve stem seals are sold in sets of 8 and the intake and exhaust seals should be the same. The seals should be the same as used on many GM cars, from the 1960's to 1980's , 1970-1985 Volvos and a few Isuzu' s so they should be able to be easily found in Europe. If you wish to match them up, the valves stems have an 11/32" stem and a .530" guide OD. Using the right tools these valve stem seals can be replaced without removing the head. Replacing the seals may or may not cure the smoking problem, but I would say that it should help.

Are you 100% positive on this set of 8? I believe there are 8 orings and 4 cups or 8 cups. So either 12 or 16 seals altogether. Trying to figure this out.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

Are you 100% positive on this set of 8? I believe there are 8 orings and 4 cups or 8 cups. So either 12 or 16 seals altogether. Trying to figure this out.

I am just going by the replacement parts manual. They show one piece Viton cup type seals around the valve stem and a simple O ring at the top. Take off the rocker arm cover inspect and verify.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am just going by the replacement parts manual. They show one piece Viton cup type seals around the valve stem and a simple O ring at the top. Take off the rocker arm cover inspect and verify.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Don't have the means to look at it myself right now. Wanted to import parts from the USA and take the car to a shop. Not wait for a signal from the shop that something is missing and wait another month for parts. Hope you understand. That's where my thread is coming from.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually, the cup seals only go on the intake side. But the O-rings go on all the valves. So it should be 8 o-rings and 4 cup seals.
Mark_j

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark_jSend a Private Message to Mark_jEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From GM P manual:

Engine type P LR8/2.5

Valve stem seals - 8

Stem P/N 450483 (goes on the valve guide)
O-Ring P/N 3835333 (goes on the stem under the spring cap)

See figures 1 and 2

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

1986 GM service manual says to replace both seals so you should order both the stem seal and the o-ring. To break this down properly, you would need to order a set of 8 stem seals and a set of 8 o-rings. I don't know what the shipping rates are for your location but ordering both the part(s) sets is good insurance since the part cost is fairly minimal.

As far as your diagnosis, I had a similar problem on a 1978 Toyota 2T-C engine with 89k on it. Smoking at long idle. When I had the engine out of the car to do the engine gaskets and seals, after checking the wear on everything, part of the seal kit was a set of guide seals. After replacing and re-assembly the issue of smoking at long idle was cleared up.

In your case, providing there isn't excessive wear, it should probably do the trick.

As with everything... YMMV

[This message has been edited by Mark_j (edited 05-08-2021).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2021 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't touched a Duke in a long time. But I checked the Fel-Pro head gasket set, and it includes 4 of the cup seals and 8 O-rings. The 4 cup seals go on the intake valves. See link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-hs9405pt
Mark_j

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark_jSend a Private Message to Mark_jEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I haven't touched a Duke in a long time. But I checked the Fel-Pro head gasket set, and it includes 4 of the cup seals and 8 O-rings. The 4 cup seals go on the intake valves. See link below.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-hs9405pt

With all due respect, I'm only going by what the P22 and the FSM state. Neither specifies the count just the part number and the fact that they exist. Considering that the only seals and gaskets needed for this repair are the stem seals and the o-rings plus the valve cover gasket it's cheap insurance to order the set of 8 stem seals as the OP mentioned.

I haven't personally been inside a Duke in over 15 years so I can't say with certainty that the seal arrangement is intake only or all 8 valves. That said, my philosophy is it is better to cover the contingency of all 8 valves than to have the repair get held up due to lack of parts. My assumption from the information given that this repair is going to be done in a shop without removing the head. Since the cost of the parts for this job is relatively inexpensive as compared to the shop time necessary, It would be prudent to have all the seals required on-site.

YMMV
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2021 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark_j: With all due respect, I'm only going by what the P22 and the FSM state. Neither specifies the count just the part number and the fact that they exist.

I understand where your coming from. But there are 2 issues.

1) You're making assumptions, based on incomplete information.
2) There's a reason why the cup seals don't go on the exhaust side. The exhaust valves get hot enough to melt them!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2) There's a reason why the cup seals don't go on the exhaust side. The exhaust valves get hot enough to melt them!

Every engine that I've ever owned and worked on had oil seals on the exhaust valves. The Viton material used for valve seals is rated for up to 400* F use. Water also flows though the head so it never gets hotter than about 190*-220*. Even the older neoprene valve seals held up on the exhaust side.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And there is vacuum created under the intake valve to draw oil past the stem. Not so much under the exhaust.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Every engine that I've ever owned and worked on had oil seals on the exhaust valves.

(= limited engine experience)
(does not = every engine does)

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 05-10-2021).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua: Every engine that I've ever owned and worked on had oil seals on the exhaust valves.

So you've never worked on a 60-degree V6?

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2021 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys. So I guess I'll just buy 2 sets of FEL-PRO SS72531 and call it a day.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock