Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Original Muncie 4-speed trans fluid (not synchromesh)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Original Muncie 4-speed trans fluid (not synchromesh) by Skybax
Started on: 05-07-2021 09:47 AM
Replies: 5 (257 views)
Last post by: Skybax on 05-10-2021 11:53 AM
Skybax

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Muncie 4-speed probably has the original fluid in it and I would like to change it with the correct fluid that it would have had in the 80's...

(NOTE: Yes I have used synchromesh in the past on 2 of my Fiero's, yes I know that is what many recommend, however I also know that many Fiero owners over the last 20 years that developed leaks immediately after switching, so I'm not interested in using synchromesh or synthetic in my 36-year-old car)

Was hoping somebody knowledgeable could answer these questions...

Question #1: Was the original fluid on the assembly line equivalent to 5w30 or 10w30 or similar other?

Question #2: My understanding is the original fluid didn't have detergents, so a pure racing dino motor oil would be the closest equivalent correct?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The factory recommended lube for the 84 4 speed is 5w 30 motor oil. They also had a plastic tag on the fill port stating this.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for reply, mine is an 86, different final drive ratio, but pretty much the same none the less. Figures it would be 5w30, cause 10w30 would have been too easy, haha. I could do 10w30 being summer only car, but colder temps in spring/fall could make things more stiff in the early going.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jgr-01906

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 05-08-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2021 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Manual Trans Fluid

Note that Any New Trans can wash out crap keeping oil in.
Also many claim Oil causes leaks often did other things that make leaks.
Like install axle seals w/ dry outside metal then small scratches leak. Is why you use thin coat of Super 300 etc paint where seal in driven into case hole.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2021 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
See my Cave,

Been there many times over the past 20 years, great resource, many thanks.

Also many claim Oil causes leaks often did other things that make leaks.

I was referring specifically to the ones that developed leaks immediately after switching to synchormesh on a nice leak-free original unmolested Fiero.

Note that Any New Trans (fluid) can wash out crap keeping oil in.

Agree, changing the fluid always has that risk with any old car with old fluid and old seals, that's why I'm trying to minimize risk with detergent-free 5w30 dino.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 05-10-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock