Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  EGR Solenoid rebuild. Everything seems to be working.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
EGR Solenoid rebuild. Everything seems to be working. by Curlrup
Started on: 04-17-2021 06:02 PM
Replies: 6 (399 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 04-26-2021 04:22 AM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 SE 2.8. I'm rebuilding mt EGR solenoid after getting a code 32 and still getting horrible gas mileage after a new egr valve, O2 sensor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel filter.

Following Buddycraig's info on his write up. My coil works when jumped with 12 volts. It picks up the metal disk. Also the resistance across the pins of the vac sensor changed under vacuum. So....other than weak vacuum from the engine, what else is there?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think the EGR would cause a major drop in gas mileage. Try disconnecting the hose at the valve and drive it for a week to see if it fixes your mpg. Engine would run a bit hotter without EGR. Likely you have 2 problems. EGR solenoid was/is bad and then something else is off. Double check spark plug wires that none are miss firing. Could be a bad plug or loose connection.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doh.....I had the vac lines swapped that come out of the solenoid. Urgh...There's ya problem.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

Doh.....I had the vac lines swapped that come out of the solenoid.

Full props for admitting a screw up.

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also. Checked timing. It's supposed to be set to 10 degrees correct? According to some videos I watched that were Fiero specific. It's been a while since I've set base timing, and never on a 2.8. it was at 6. It actually sounds better now.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2021 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Following Buddycraig's info on his write up...

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2021 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also. Checked timing. It's supposed to be set to 10 degrees correct? According to some videos I watched that were Fiero specific. It's been a while since I've set base timing, and never on a 2.8. it was at 6. It actually sounds better now.

I think it is 10 but just look at the emissions sticker under the decklid to be sure. Might be different based on engine or transmission for some reason.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock