Trouble Code 13 Question by Mike in Sydney
Started on: 04-15-2021 08:21 PM
Replies: 4 (251 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-16-2021 12:56 PM
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While driving one of the GT's yesterday (1986 GT, stock V6 no mods, 106K miles) the Service Engine Soon light popped on. I was tooling trough a construction zone and the speed limit was 25-mph (40-kph). After getting through the construction area and back up to 60-mph for a while, the light cleared itself. Later, while driving through town at a low speed, the Service Engine Soon light came back on and stayed on. When I left my office to go home the light had gone out again. It came on again as I retraced my route home. On when the car was being driven slowly and off when up to highway speed for a little while.

I checked for codes when I got home and found that the ECM had thrown a CODE 13 - Oxygen sensor failure. I know this means the sensor is either disconnected or it needs to be replaced but the on and off cycling of the Service Engine Soon light has me wondering if I should be checking for a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor.

I've got spare O-2 sensors but I'm at a loss as how to check or adjust the TPS. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 04-15-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2021 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

I've got spare O-2 sensors but I'm at a loss as how to check or adjust the TPS. Any suggestions?

Take off the protective cover from the tps connector, and take a multimeter and measure the voltage of the bottom two connections. turn the key to run on the car and it should show somewhere around 0.5-0.6 volts with the throttle fully closed. at WOT it should read above 4 volts. if it doesnt, bend the tps tab until it does (be careful with it, also idle voltage is more important then WOT voltage)

Also make sure the voltage consistently increases throughout the throttle positions and there is no sudden jumps in voltage

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 04-15-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

...the on and off cycling of the Service Engine Soon light has me wondering if I should be checking for a problem with the Throttle Position Sensor.

Watch the video I linked to in the following thread - Throttle Position Sensor Test

Originally posted by Xenoblast:

...bend the tps tab

That's not the best way to make the adjustment. Watch the video I mentioned above.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-16-2021).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2021 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check/clean/fix all "grounds" bolted to engine.
1 tan "ground" is return path to "1 wire" O2 sensor.

If have exhaust leaking then can fake bad O2 sensor and cause 13 or other DTC's.

Do Not mess w/ TB or other sensors until you fix whatever is causing 13.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock