2.8/3.4 water pump by Coolkoolpyle
Started on: 04-13-2021 02:48 PM
Replies: 7 (186 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 04-19-2021 12:35 PM
Coolkoolpyle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a difference in the rotational direction of the water pumps on these engines?
If there is
is it just a matter of swapping pumps or does the timing cover have to be changed too?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-17-2021).]

Coolkoolpyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

They do rotate in different directions. The passages in the two pumps are different, also. You will need to change timing cover and water pump. Be sure to get a water pump with a steel impeller, not a plastic one that will eventually turn loose from the shaft.

If you're using the 85-86 timing cover, you will need an oil pan with the slope at the crankshaft. If you're using the 87-88 timing cover, you can use the 3.4 oil pan.

If you're installing into an 85-86, you will need to remove the pipe plug if installed in the water pump and install the heater bypass nipple that often comes with the water pumps. If you're going into an 87-88, then the pipe plug should be installed.

Does the RWD accessory drive turn the pump the opposite direction? The Fiero accessory drive turns it the same direction as the crank, which is what I though the RWD accessory drive did. Oh well... never actually done the swap.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2021 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-17-2021).]

Coolkoolpyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolkoolpyleSend a Private Message to CoolkoolpyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A specific recommendation of year and required changes would be the ideal reply.

I’m using a 3.4 gen 3 out of a venture
Because of a required rerouting of the accessory belt to accommodate a supercharger I need a pump that turns in the opposite direction as the pump now used in the 1986 2.8.

I have the routing and needed pulleys figured out
What I need is the correct pump and whatever changes such as timing cover and possibly oil pan to finish the project.

I would prefer not to buy several items
or mix and match until I find the correct parts.

Looking for year and model si I can get the correct pump I need first time.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2021 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. I know nothing about that engine so I'll delete what I thought was for a few 3.4.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC, the 3.4 V6 used in the Camaro / Firebird had a reverse rotation water pump. The water pump and timing cover are different from the Fiero parts, because of the reverse flow pattern. Also IIRC, the Camaro / Firebird timing cover has different mounting locations for the belt-driven stuff. I have no idea if that will cause any interference issues.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-19-2021).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock