Did Moog stop making rear ball joints? by Mr. Farknocker
Started on: 04-11-2021 06:28 PM
Replies: 10 (419 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 04-21-2021 05:18 PM
Mr. Farknocker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't seem to find any current listings for Moog rear lower ball joints (Part No. K6257) on Moog's website for my '87 GT.

https://www.moog-suspension...s/pontiac_fiero_1987

Does anybody know if Moog stopped making them?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if they quit but Rock Auto only carries Moog front ball joints. But you can get ball joints that are every bit as good as Moog from Rodney Dickman.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2021 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
X2 on Rodney Dickman!
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2021 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give Rodney the business !!

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was holding out for Moog ball joints but decided to go with Rodney Dickman's instead. He's been in the business long enough to know what works and doesn't and stands by his products.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Farknocker (edited 04-18-2021).]

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2021 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Farknocker:

I was holding out for Moog ball joints but decided to go with Rodney Dickman's instead. He's been in the business long enough to know what works and doesn't and stands buy his products.

I've seen multiple cases where Moog is not what it used to be. Same with AC Delco and some others.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty much every former "quality" brand is sourcing from China now. Even AC Delco parts aren't what they used to be. Shudder about needing a new ignirtion module. Used to only buy GM modules because of their quality (despite higher price), now am worried about what I'll get.
Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2021 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I've seen multiple cases where Moog is not what it used to be. Same with AC Delco and some others.

I have also heard of the decline in quality as well.
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2021 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a mechanic, I have seen a decline in ALL companies parts. It is very hard to find long service parts. Moog used to be my goto suspension parts, but not in the last 10 years.
For customers cars we have to warrant them for 2 years or better. So we, to the best we can use parts that have a better warrantee. That also have good coverage.
For my Fiero, I try to find NOS new old stock. I would use a faded box, 20 year old, NOS Moog over a brand new one.

On the rear Fiero ball joints. You can find them, A lot of digging, measuring and research needed. The 80s-early 90s A body(Century, Cierra, 6000, Celebrity) with same spindle. will be the same ball joint, but mounting bolts, for some years will be different. Some had a thicker turn stop plate. Because of that, will be listed as another number. Also some with heavy duty brakes will have larger diameter mounting bolts. Same joint, but holes are drilled larger. This works well for Fiero C-arms that have had multiple ball joints. Very little material has to be removed for the larger bolts. Be careful, some of the 90s (I think 92-96)starting using different joint stud diameter. You have to do some homework on this. Matching spindle and control arm numbers. I know, a pain, but those cars had a huge product run. Many in fleet inventory. Better chance to find LLV fleet type parts.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 04-19-2021).]

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2021 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received a pair of rear lower ball joints from Rodney Dickman yesterday. The ball joints and hardware was sealed in a plastic bag and packaged in a clean white box and labled with the moog part number (K6257) although the word "moog" is absent. I haven't check the part to determine whether it is in fact a moog part because the joint and hardware is in a sealed plastic bag. I was pleasantly surprised to see that a new pinch bolt is included with the unit. That obviates the need for me to find a suitable pinch bolt at my local auto parts store. Another thumbs up to Rodney Dickman.
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2021 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An area I love Rodney Dickmans parts is for inner tie rod ends. I have tried and looked for several over the years and his rear inners seem to be the only ones that come close to the originals. Some of the other ones seem to be not quite right. Some are just other inners with an adapter to make it work.
For Fiero specific parts, he is the man.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 04-21-2021).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock