Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 4th Fiero, My first 2.8 V6. I have A LOT of questions (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 4th Fiero, My first 2.8 V6. I have A LOT of questions by Curlrup
Started on: 03-28-2021 05:44 PM
Replies: 52 (1050 views)
Last post by: Curlrup on 04-06-2021 03:06 PM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I bought a 1986 SE with a 2.8. Hard start stumble, stumble, stumble. Sounds and feels like vac leaks galore. I have questions as in there are 1/2 inch hard metal pips that look like to be a brake booster line, but NOTHING attached to them. Also a few visibly bad connections or missing vac connections. See Photos. I am asking for help identifying missing connections, and bad connections, so I can learn about this motor. Anything Iron Duke I am the master but 2.8 nope. So please look at the photos and help me identify these.

Also the tail lights kinda work. They are Very Very Very Very dim. I can see the bulb filament slightly glow orange. One bulb socket was crimped on with blue crimp connectors. I'm wondering if one socket is bad or has a bad connection with it dim the entire system in the rear?

Thanks folks!

Curly

What is this entire module? It has like 5 bad vac connections on it.

Random not connected to anything electrical connector....What is it for?

What is this hardline for? Where does the vac line fit to the motor?

Same with this one? What for and where?

It's been a long time since I had a car with cruise. Are these vac line nipples or just bleed off openings? I forget.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ignore the large tube that you are pointing to. That was a recall tube that goes nowhere.

That module is the EGR solenoid and needs to be connected. (You can see it in the diagram)

Here is the vacuum line diagram. Be aware that where it says "plenum", the lines are connected underneath the intake plenum.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-28-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Ignore the large tube that you are pointing to. That was a recall tube that goes nowhere.

That tube is supposed to be capped on the end, otherwise unfiltered air is being drawn into the filtered side of the air filter canister.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome....Thank you. This explains a lot. Just picked up a bunch of vac line. I'm going to replace everything that is rotted. There is a larger line that comes off the EGR solenoid, and runs to the fire wall. That thing is crumbling to dust.

Ok and cap that large tube. SO both large metal tubs shown are recall lines?

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

That tube is supposed to be capped on the end, otherwise unfiltered air is being drawn into the filtered side of the air filter canister.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Is that right? I though both ends were abandoned?

I stole this image from Fierosound:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 03-28-2021).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. Those are it. Ok so plug em up. I Changed the lines from the EGR solenoid. Found some of the molded plastic lines broke. Coupled the breaks with some tubing. It almost looks like the hard lines against the trunk wall are rusted and have pin holes. When I pinch off the rubber tubing going to them the engine idle lowers. Plus they are really really rusty. I might need to find replacements for those.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Is that right? I though both ends were abandoned?

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

At the dealership during recall repairs, this particular task was dealt with a couple of different ways (from what I've discovered on my own and other people's Fieros). The left side end of that tube connects to the filtered side of the air filter canister. In most recalls, it appears that the tube was left attached to the canister, and the right side end of the tube was capped. Sometimes though, it appears that the tube was disconnected at the canister, and the canister itself was plugged/capped. In this situation, then sure, the right side end of the tube could remain open, as the tube was no longer connected to anything. However, never assume that this is the method that has been utilized when you see an uncapped tube, because if the tube is still connected to the air filter canister, then filthy unfiltered air is being drawn directly into the intake system.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36404 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by Curlrup:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

What for and where?

The following image was just posted in another thread. I suspect the tube above has been bent and is supposed to be plugged into your snorkel.

Originally posted by skywurz:

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36404 posts
Member since Apr 99

It almost looks like the hard lines against the trunk wall are rusted and have pin holes. When I pinch off the rubber tubing going to them the engine idle lowers.

I suspect those metal tubes along the trunk wall are usually overlooked when vacuum leaks are being searched for. With these cars getting older, and often rustier, pinholes in engine bay metal tubes will no doubt become more commonplace.

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any thoughts on the very very dim tail lights? Almost like there is some resistance somewhere.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any thoughts on the very very dim tail lights? Almost like there is some resistance somewhere.

Yes, check the harness ground located in the passenger side rear wheel well. You'll need to loosen the plastic wheel well cover to gain access. The ground harness is screwed to the upper frame rail, but it often gets corroded there and the harness then no longer grounds properly.

But hey, you should've known that, as it's the same rear harness that a Duke powered Fiero has.

My 4th Fiero... Anything Iron Duke I am the master...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-28-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes....I should have....dang it. Ok checking that tomorrow. Thank you thank you. Learning so much.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2021 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Random not connected to anything electrical connector....What is it for?

If you can unwrap the wire loom a bit and clean up the wires you will be able to see what colors the wires are. That should help you identify where it is supposed to go.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can do that. Seems odd that a pretty decent size plug is taped up and hanging on the backside of the plenum. I should get a multi meter on the pins to see if there was s voltage.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Ok....Whew....Yep that ground was loose. I now have tail lights!. Also, amazing how that ground probably helped it run better. It ran better after new vac lines, I also did a quick fix and sprayed the hard vac lines with flex seal. Temp fix just to see if there is improvement by quickly plugging any and all pin holes. Yep , it starts better, runs smoother, less stumble, and no hesitation now. Question though. If it runs for a while, you shut it off, Let it sit for a few minutes, then come back it does not want to start until you try it a few times then it just pops off and purrs like there was no issue. Very strange.

Also mystery plug has been unwrapped please see photos.

Purple/white stripe, and orange is what the wires look like.

Also. My new to me Red SE and Juliet, my 88 Iron Duke Fiero I rebuilt.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Question though. If it runs for a while, you shut it off, Let it sit for a few minutes, then come back it does not want to start until you try it a few times then it just pops off and purrs like there was no issue. Very strange.

Something that's quite easy to check on the 2.8, but often ignored is fuel pressure. Not only do you want to see what the fuel pressure is while running, but you also want to see how quickly it drops when the fuel pump stops. The pressure should hold steady for quite awhile. If it starts dropping immediately, then perhaps an injector or two is leaking.

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good thing I have a guage. Ok. Time to check that next. Thank you sir! My 88 iron duke just runs and runs and runs since I rebuilt it. I worked out all of f the kinks. So my trouble shooting skills have lapsed. Coupled with an engine I'm not familiar with and I'm scratching my head a lot.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007
Also....it was converted to an R134a A/C system in 2002. Just found the sticker under the hood explaining that. So maybe the mystery plug is A/C related?
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe the "mystery plug" is for the cold start injector.

The reason there's some confusion on the unplugged tube running along the firewall, is there were two different designs. The early design the metal tube plugged into the intake snorkel. The later design plugged into the side of the air filter canister.

During the recall, if memory serves, the early design snorkel was replaced with a new snorkel that had no inlet for that metal pipe. Thus the pipe was open on either end and didn't need to be capped.

The later design that plugged into the air filter was ignored and not capped off as well even though it fed directly into the filtered side of the air filter canister thus allowing unfiltered air into the engine. For that design, the best way to handle it is to put a rubber cap on the air filter canister in place of the rubber hose that went from the canister to the abandoned metal pipe.

Personally I removed the pipe when I used to have a post-recall Fiero but all of my current Fieros are as they were created Pontiac and remain uncut.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. So question. Do I need the cold start injector? I just did some searching and it looks to be something people delete since it's a pain in the arse sometimes. More and more I think that plenum will be coming off to see whats going on under it. My smoke machine is coming next week to hunt down any more vac leaks. Figured with twice as many vac lines as an 88 Iron Duke I needed a way to quickly find vac leaks.

Thanks folks I'm learning a lot here on this motor I have ZERO experience with.
dremu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dremuSend a Private Message to dremuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ppl/wht + tan is indeed the cold start injector.

Another thought on the start-stop-won't-start-again-for-a-while is the ignition module inside the distributor. IIRC the 4-bangers are entirely different in this regard, but the V6 is famous for issues with these. I'd pop the cover off the dizzy, unscrew the module, clean and apply new silicone heatsink grease from your local computer store, then careful tighten again. Also make sure its connector (connectors? I forget if they're combined) are nice and tight. If any of the above shifts due to thermal stress you won't get spark. Many owners carry a spare module, and recommend the Delco branded replacement vs. random house brand.

-- A
PFF
System Bot
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dremu:

Ppl/wht + tan is indeed the cold start injector.

Another thought on the start-stop-won't-start-again-for-a-while is the ignition module inside the distributor. IIRC the 4-bangers are entirely different in this regard, but the V6 is famous for issues with these. I'd pop the cover off the dizzy, unscrew the module, clean and apply new silicone heatsink grease from your local computer store, then careful tighten again. Also make sure its connector (connectors? I forget if they're combined) are nice and tight. If any of the above shifts due to thermal stress you won't get spark. Many owners carry a spare module, and recommend the Delco branded replacement vs. random house brand.

-- A

That was next on my list. Spare ignition module. I ALWAYS keep a spare with. On a non distributor Iron Duke I can change them out by feel. Done it a few times, in the rain, and the dark, on the side of the road across the two 88 iron dukes I've owned.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

The reason there's some confusion on the unplugged tube running along the firewall, is there were two different designs. The early design the metal tube plugged into the intake snorkel. The later design plugged into the side of the air filter canister.

During the recall, if memory serves, the early design snorkel was replaced with a new snorkel that had no inlet for that metal pipe. Thus the pipe was open on either end and didn't need to be capped.

I believe you're mistaken.

From what I understand, the now non-utilized metal tube on the firewall used to connect the filtered side of the air canister to the front valve cover of the 2.8 engine. This acted as the air intake for the PCV system. The problem is that under certain conditions, air flow temporarily goes the other way. There was a fear of oil collecting in this tube and eventually creating a fire hazard (due to the cat being located immediately below.) The recall eliminated the firewall tube from the equation, and instead, a shorter replacement metal tube is used to connect the front valve cover to a redesigned snorkel with an inlet just ahead of the throttle body. This allows any oil vapors (which are temporarily going the "wrong" way) to more easily be drawn directly into the intake system and burned in the cylinders.

Reinhart, if you have any links which contradict what I've stated, I'd honestly appreciate being corrected.

From earlier in this thread...

At the dealership during recall repairs, this particular task was dealt with a couple of different ways (from what I've discovered on my own and other people's Fieros). The left side end of that tube connects to the filtered side of the air filter canister. In most recalls, it appears that the tube was left attached to the canister, and the right side end of the tube was capped. Sometimes though, it appears that the tube was disconnected at the canister, and the canister itself was plugged/capped. In this situation, then sure, the right side end of the tube could remain open, as the tube was no longer connected to anything. However, never assume that this is the method that has been utilized when you see an uncapped tube, because if the tube is still connected to the air filter canister, then filthy unfiltered air is being drawn directly into the intake system.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-30-2021).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What's your explanation for the OP's post-recall picture with the metal firewall tube that dead ends at the snorkel? What was that pre-recall?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

What's your explanation for the OP's post-recall picture with the metal firewall tube that dead ends at the snorkel?

It's not the best picture that the OP posted of that tube, but I already offered an explanation Here.

It is possible that the tube we're seeing is the end of the now unused firewall tube, but even so, that doesn't necessarily change anything I've stated in regards to what was modified for the recall. There would've originally been a rubber elbow attaching the firewall tube to the air filter canister.

Curly, can you please tell us where the other end of that tube goes?

What for and where?

[EDIT] Curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I've come across this diagram... supposedly of a pre-recall Fiero 2.8 PCV system. I have never ever (in 22 years of being here) seen a photo (rather than an illustration) of this type of setup where the firewall tube connects to the underside of the snorkel. Very strange. My '86 GT has the firewall tube (now capped on one end) connected to the filter canister. It was never at any time attached to a snorkel. It's nowhere near where the metal tube pictured above is located. Perhaps there were two different styles of pre-recall metal firewall tubes?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-31-2021).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I'll get some picks when I head out.

Also...car is running decent. There's a lot of hesitation I noticed at low crawling through a parking lot speed.

I'm thinking vac lines still. Come on smoke machine hurry up.

Regardless, when you get on it. It goes! More fun than the 4 cylinder.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007

[EDIT] Curiosity has gotten the best of me, and I've come across this diagram... supposedly of a pre-recall Fiero 2.8 PCV system. I have never ever (in 22 years of being here) seen a photo (rather than an illustration) of this type of setup where the firewall tube connects to the underside of the snorkel. Very strange. My '86 GT has the firewall tube (now capped on one end) connected to the filter canister. It was never at any time attached to a snorkel. It's nowhere near where the metal tube pictured above is located. Perhaps there were two different styles of pre-recall metal firewall tubes?

I can't get a good angle to get a good photo. However, the two hardlines I speak of are actually ONE tube. It runs along the firewall, behind the air cleaner, then makes a sharp bend around the air cleaner can and comes out the other side. So the two photos I posts were just the two ends of the same tube. Nothing is connected to the air cleaner or snorkle. So exactly like the illustration shows.

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 03-31-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2021 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So the two photos I posts were just the two ends of the same tube.

Yes, it's the firewall PCV tube that's no longer used. The surprise (for me anyway), is that there appears to have been two different styles of these metal tubes. They both originally connected to the front valve cover, but on the other end, one originally connected to the air filter canister while the other apparently connected to the underside of the snorkel.

Nothing is connected to the air cleaner or snorkle.

Correct, sort of. That firewall metal tube is no longer connected to anything, because your engine has had the recall work done. But the replacement PCV tube pictured above now goes from the front valve cover to the replacement snorkel.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update of sorts. Just had it out for a decent run. Running...decent. At low speeds, say 20 mph when you hit the throttle it hesitates and backfires. If I remember right that is a rich running condition. It also smells very exhausty. Is that a thing? exhausty? Smells rich

Yes the cold start injector has been deleted. There is a huge bolt threaded into the fuel rail.

Still waiting on my smoke machine to hunt down all vac leaks. There has to be more vac leaks.

Other than that it goes great on some hard pulls. Just low speed, it hesitates.

Also if you get on the gas at 55 mph it feels like it's running on a rough road. It's odd. Off the gas smooth. Get on it. it's rumbly. The whole car is rumbly like it's on gravel. More to come as I work through this thing.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curlrup

2590 posts
Member since Apr 2007
More data. It was on a half tank after 48 miles of driving....topped it off to see how much it actually used. 5.5 gallons. So it's getting 8.72 MPG....something is boned. It's running rich for sure right?

***edit to say O2 sensor ordered****

[This message has been edited by Curlrup (edited 04-01-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you had a look at all the spark plugs? Might help to determine what each cylinder is doing.

A bit off topic... but is everyone else also noticing that embedded images in forum posts are not showing up today?
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A bit off topic... but is everyone else also noticing that embedded images in forum posts are not showing up today?

They were broken. Then fixed now they seem broken again. I told you I was going to run Cliff out of disk space

Edit:

OMG i just realized Cliff finally enabled HTTPS!!! Woooo go Cliff. All images are http and browsers are not liking that is my guess.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 04-01-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I told you I was going to run Cliff out of disk space

Heh heh, I was thinking of what you said.

OMG i just realized Cliff finally enabled HTTPS!!! Woooo go Cliff. All images are http and browsers are not liking that is my guess.

I don't understand the significance of HTTPS... but I notice the images all open just fine if "Open image in new tab" is selected.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-01-2021).]

skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't understand the significance of HTTPS... but I notice the images all open just fine if "Open image in new tab" is selected.

Because the site is now HTTPS browsers will refuse to load insecure or HTTP content that is trying to be displayed on the site. This is done so you do not have privacy leaks in your secure section. This is called mixed content. https://developer.mozilla.o...ck-all-mixed-content

This above standard became outdated when browsers decided to just automatically block mixed content. I included it as reference.
https://love2dev.com/blog/chrome-mixed-content/

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 04-01-2021).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apologies to Curly for going off on a bit of a tangent here, but this is something that's now affecting us all and needs to be resolved.

Because the site is now HTTPS browsers will refuse to load insecure or HTTP content that is trying to be displayed on the site.

This is a bit over my head... but is making the PFF image server somehow "secure" a solution to this issue?

Interesting that the image in This post still displays just fine, even though it's also hosted at a non-secured site.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-01-2021).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you had a look at all the spark plugs? Might help to determine what each cylinder is doing.

Plugs, wires, coil, dis cap, dis rotor coming tomorrow.

Just did a pressure test on the fuel system. 45 PSI on key on (pump kick in) 37 PSI running, then leaked down to 25 PSI slowly over the course of 30 minutes, then I had to make dinner so I just unhooked everything and put it away.

When I attached the gauge on the fuel rail it was spraying fuel everywhere and it had been sitting for hours at that point so there was pressure there. By the time I got the gauge on it read 10 PSI. One click of the key and it shot up to 45 PSI and stayed there until I started it.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Apologies to Curly for going off on a bit of a tangent here, but this is something that's now affecting us all and needs to be resolved.

This is a bit over my head... but is making the PFF image server somehow "secure" a solution to this issue?

Interesting that the image in This post still displays just fine, even though it's also hosted at a non-secured site.

Yeah Sorry Curly.. however good post publicity

I was looking at that image and it occured to me that i am noticing the warning about insecure items in my browser. So perhaps im off base or it depends on browser settings. It loads fine on my laptop. Could be some redirect issues in the code as well? Im sure Cliff is on it and is more than capable of sorting it.

If you try to open an image as HTTPS it bricks.
Tech is my thing so i like playing the wild speculation game while someone else is trying to solve the actual issue.

Probably should just move this to a different thread.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2021 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Probably should just move this to a different thread.

Post some of your theories Here.

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Um you adamantly told me I was wrong when I said that in my first post. Now you're saying "*perhaps* there were two different styles of pre-recall metal firewall tubes" even though it has been confirmed by the 22P?

Me: "The reason there's some confusion on the unplugged tube running along the firewall, is there were two different designs. The early design the metal tube plugged into the intake snorkel. The later design plugged into the side of the air filter canister.

You: I believe you're mistaken. "

The only thing I was unsure of was how the recall handled the two designs. I wasn't unsure about the fact there were two designs.

[This message has been edited by reinhart (edited 04-02-2021).]

Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2021 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Used my fancy fancy scanner. Friend gave me. No codes. Stayed in open loop for a long time. Longer than a 4 cylinder. Then was popping in and out of closed loop a lot, then settled down. Again 4 cylinders running good don't do this. At least I haven't seen it. This scanner is new to me so it could be that too.

Once warm O2 sensor voltage was staying between .45 and .60. According to the manual a properly running engine should be jumping between .200 and .800.

Gonna PB blast all the plugs and redo all of the ignition this weekend.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock