Water pump stud mod by oneinch
Started on: 03-15-2021 01:10 PM
Replies: 9 (287 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 03-20-2021 05:53 AM
oneinch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a modification others have no doubt done as well. I replaced the "#12" water pump bolt with a stud. Now the timing cover is always clamped down. I added a washer and a 0.1mm shim on top of the nut to add support behind this 'vunerable to breakage' part of the water pump. Will it prevent breakage? Probably not if you over torque this nut too much. It might provide just that little more strength so 23 ft lbs isn't too much.

I like the permanent clamping feature of the mod. At least I won't have to worry about using that fiddly clamp any more. I'll probably trim the stud length just a bit. It doesn't need to be this long. I started with a 90mm stud as I knew it would need to be custom fitted.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

[This message has been edited by oneinch (edited 03-15-2021).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is smart, i feel like it should be like this from factory. When I was replacing the water pump on my car, I torqued the bolt there to spec. As you would probably expect, i broke off a piece of the water pump. Right now the bolt is finger tight but if i ever pull it off again i will use this idea.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the 88 V6 water pump mount different? I don't remember ever encountering this issue of an unsupported water pump section.
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The picture I posted is an '88 V6. Here's another picture installing the stud and showing the void in the timing case I filled.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It didn't dawn on me until you posted that second picture that we were looking at a brand-new timing cover. Because it was clean and new, at first I assumed it was a water pump!

I think people have done this mod here before, but I don't think they used the washer there to bring it up flush with the mating surface. That is clever!

I assume that outermost nut comes off before you attach the water pump?
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a new cover. Just the OEM cleaned up and painted. Yes, in the first pic the outer nut is just there to hold the washers in place to check for flatness. It comes off, water pump goes on, nut goes back on.

You could put the washers under the first nut. This would probably be fine. This nut doesn't have as much surface area as the washer to support the water pump. This is why I chose nut first, washers second. It's not perfectly flat. It never will be. Every little thing would need to square and/or parallel to one another to make it perfectly flat. This isn't the case. You just do the best you can.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought that my spacer was a neat modification... now not so neat. I shoulda thunk a little harder.

Loike it.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. I've never broken one (done 3 times on 2 V6's) and I have a habit of overtightening bolts.
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2021 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think of this mod as insurance, not a cure.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 05:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea, I was just saying I didn't even know this was a problem. Thanks for posting it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock