Engine sensor identification help by oneinch
Started on: 03-07-2021 07:45 PM
Replies: 12 (243 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 03-29-2021 08:04 PM
oneinch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm asking for help identifying this sensor on an '88 V6. It is located on the corner of the odd cylinder's head right by cylinder no. 5. It's wedged right in by the coil. It appears a P.O. jury rigged this. I'm guessing I'm missing a connector. If I am, and if anyone has an extra connector, I'm interested in it. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be better if you had a slightly wider view of that sensor but I believe it is the Temperature gauge sensor....As in this picture;

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-07-2021).]

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2021 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Based on your picture it would be the temperature gauge sensor. Isn't there more than one coolant sensor which each have different purposes?

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oneinch:

Based on your picture it would be the temperature gauge sensor. Isn't there more than one coolant sensor which each have different purposes?

The temperature gauge sensor only operates the gauge and doesn't talk to the computer. The sensor for the computer is below the blue arrow in that picture but you can't see it in that view.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is temp gauge sender.
Temp sensor for ECM is below EGR

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered a new sender and pigtail from Advance Auto Parts. Tomorrow I'll be able to compare to my originals. Thanks for all the help guys.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oneinch

119 posts
Member since Oct 2020
Another question about the Temp Gauge Sending Unit...how is it wired? My '88 has a GREEN wire and a GREEN/WHITE wire. Which wire goes to which terminal? Should the wiring be option A or option B as diagramed in this picture? Or is the wire orientation unimportant.....it just doesn't matter? Thanks.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oneinch, be sure the sensor you receive is the one with the split in the side of the head and not the one with the oval head. Most auto parts stores incorrectly list the ECM coolant sensor and tell you that it's the 'new' version that requires you to splice in a new connector. Don't cut your wires.

If all you need is the plastic harness connector, RodneyDickman.Com has them.
http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=174
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advance Auto should have the sender and a pigtail tomorrow morning. Yes, the guy was a little confused a first. But I had the original with me and he seemed to track it down. I had a party number to help him as well. I'll match things up in the morning.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2021 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oneinch:

Another question about the Temp Gauge Sending Unit...how is it wired? My '88 has a GREEN wire and a GREEN/WHITE wire. Which wire goes to which terminal? Should the wiring be option A or option B as diagramed in this picture? Or is the wire orientation unimportant.....it just doesn't matter? Thanks.

It is Option B. The plug is labeled A and B and B is the Green with White trace.
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Notorio. I'm getting ready to wire this in tomorrow.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's actually green with a yellow stripe....but the colors wash out with heat and age.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While you're at it, you may want to consider the temp gauge pegging fix:
http://gafiero.org/temp_gauge_repair.shtml

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock