Getrag Axle Stabilizer Bearing Oil Leak Fix by Larryinkc
Started on: 06-28-2017 05:49 PM
Replies: 1 (584 views)
Last post by: Larryinkc on 07-05-2017 01:29 PM
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2017 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of the axle seals on the Getrag in my 88 Mera have been leaking for a while and new seals did nothing to fix the problem

I found an axle bearing stabilizer kit for the TH125 automatic transmission that I adapted to work on both sides of the Getrag 5 speed. The kits have a roller bearing in the carrier and a sleeve that presses on the axle axle shaft with red loctite . The bearing carrier is sealed to the case with an O ring. Part numbers for the kit are 8643931 or K75125.

I ground 3 grooves in the passenger side bearing carrier to match the 3 tapped holes in the transmission around the seal and used 3 socket head button screws to hold it in.

On the drivers side I had to grind 2 areas in the bearing carrier to clear the raised tabs on the transmission and used both retainers that come in the kit to make a retainer that bolts to the single tapped hole in the transmission above the axle to hold it in.

So far no more oil under the transmission, hope it works long term.

I bought the kits on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-...AOSw37tWBu7R&vxp=mtr
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2017 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update on this:

I have couple of hundred miles on these bearing/seal units and the passenger side has started to seep a bit. I did the passenger side first and just lubed the O ring and pressed it in. The O ring was shaved in 1 spot by the edge of the case causing the leak. On the drivers side I ran a bead of Hylomar gasket compound around the bearing holder between the O ring and the flange and it is good. I removed the passenger side and sealed it the same as I did on the drivers side with Hylomar, that should stop the oil spot

Passenger side

Drivers side

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock