Oem Cruise control -- install on non cruise car by oregonfieroguy
Started on: 05-03-2016 12:03 AM
Replies: 11 (327 views)
Last post by: Shisida on 06-07-2021 11:00 AM
oregonfieroguy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I have an 86 without cruise. I've been reading up on it, and got all the parts from the junkyard. I have the harness for the passengers compartment, all of the switches for the pedals, but when I went to try and get the wiring harness from the engine compartment I couldn't figure it out. It seems to go from the servo out of the engine compartment on the left side..and underneath the plastic body panels. The pages I found on the cruise system in the manual is no help.

I don't get how to wire the servo up. I figured it was worth a try to put in the oem system, since I've got two of everything from the junkyard. I just can't figure out the wiring in the back. Obviously something is missing, maybe when the engine was rebuilt by the previous owner the cruise wiring was left off. Any ideas how I can know how to wire this thing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What I would do is take the information from the factory service manual (Helms) and make my own harness. It's usually a lot more work and unnecessary to use the factory harnesses. I don't have a book for the 86, but I'm sure someone can post the information for the 86 and you can just wire it up.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because engine harness does not have cruise wiring.

That's bundled in taillight harness. Need full harness then pull off rear body.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Because engine harness does not have cruise wiring.

That's bundled in taillight harness. Need full harness then pull off rear body.

This is true. I got the cruise wiring for free when I did my fastback conversion on my coupe. But installing a new tailight harness is a ridiculous amount of work just to get cruise. Now if you want a 100% OEM look I suppose it's worth it, but I would never do that.
oregonfieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I figured one would have to pull off the rear body. And that is definitely too much work. Is there any way of hooking the cruise up without getting that intense?
85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps this is not the time, but maybe it would be easier to install a digital or aftermarket cruise. There are some threads on the digital.
oregonfieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After looking at the wiring diagram, I am considering splicing into the C500. This is where the harness comes back into the engine compartment. I realize that it is not as good as digital cruise, but I have all the parts, and the stalk ((installed), so I thought it might be worth a try. There are 5 wires that I have to take from the Servo to C 500. Any thoughts, besides "you're crazy"?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go grab a digital cruise - wire it up to the factory stalk./brake switch and have a far easier to troubleshoot solution.

Or if you like to troubleshoot 30 year old vacuum solenoids, and rubber diaphragms take a swing at the pos Fiero cruise.

If you need wiring diagrams I can send them to you.
oregonfieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a digital cruise that you can hook up with the factory stalk?

Which one would you recommend?
oregonfieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

oregonfieroguy

76 posts
Member since Apr 2013
It looked like from what I read that it is complicated getting the speedo information to an aftermarket cruise. How does this work?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
Shisida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2021 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShisidaSend a Private Message to ShisidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a follow up question on cruise control I wonder if I could get help with. I just re-installed the cradle on my 88GT after a top-end rebuild and clutch change. I'm now hooking everything back up, but am not clear on a couple of things, one is the vaccum line setup for the cruise control. I should have taken more pictures, I realize, but since some hoses were completely rotted out and missing, even that wouldn't have solved all problems. Does anyone have a diagram or a photo of a proper setup? Biggest question: what's the vacuum source? I have no hose leading into the main control valve. Thanks, guys!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock