Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Does a stock 4 speed Tranny bolt on to a 3.8L?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Does a stock 4 speed Tranny bolt on to a 3.8L? by ChrisMac97
Started on: 06-10-2015 02:20 PM
Replies: 13 (705 views)
Last post by: weaselbeak on 03-20-2021 08:23 PM
ChrisMac97

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure this has been asked and answered but if I want to do the 3800sc swap will this motor fit the stock tranny (85 GT 4 speed transmission in an 85 SE)? if not where can I find adapter kits? thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, IIRC all transmissions that came in the Fiero have the same bolt pattern as the 3800. The muncie (which is your transmission) also happens to have the strongest casing that was put in the fiero. Of course, you won't be able to abuse the trans too much because the power will break it. For in town driving, the 4 speed is probably the best way to go because of the gearing. If you drive on the high way a lot, you might want to consider upgrading to a 5 speed F23 trans.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 06-10-2015).]

ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
okay perfect! and thanks, it really is a great resource, especially for someone like me who's changed their mind about 500 times on what to do with a bone stock ride LOL
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. All 3800s use the FWD bellhousing

-Mitch
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chris I have been using that same tranny with my 3.8sc swap for about 10 years now... its a great choice for inner city light to light fun! kinda sucks on the highway though..
ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure its no worse on the highway than my current stock automatic set up.. that thing costs a fortune on gas. Do you have a recommended build thread to follow by chance?
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChrisMac97:

Do you have a recommended build thread to follow by chance?

This is a great start, it isn't on the forums tho:

http://www.gmtuners.com/swap/3800.htm

Here are required parts:

http://www.westcoastfiero.c.../conversion_info.php
(scroll down and choose manual ac or without ac.)

This one is good:
http://www.westcoastfieros....um_posts.asp?TID=608

and one more:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121858.html

Make sure you read into this information. It seems like a lot, but the more you know the better off you are. And of course, always have patients and pay attention to detail.
BTW, start a build thread here so that people can watch your progress, and help you out along the way. One of the first things you should do is download PIP:
https://www.fiero.nl/pip.html
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2015 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My personal Favorite.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-099989.html

-Mitch

------------------
My Car - 87' GT - 3800sc - Flat Black - Lowered
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/121571.html#p0

ChrisMac97

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChrisMac97Send a Private Message to ChrisMac97Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2021 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am using the 4 speed muncie tranny, and the middle right bolt (as you face the engine) refuses to go in. The engine is a 3800SC off a 2002 Pontiac. The threads aren't stripped, in fact i can see no threads, but could there be a sheared off bolt in there? i do need all 6 bolts no?

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is fine without a bolt.
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:
i am using the 4 speed muncie tranny, and the middle right bolt (as you face the engine) refuses to go in. The engine is a 3800SC off a 2002 Pontiac. The threads aren't stripped, in fact i can see no threads, but could there be a sheared off bolt in there? i do need all 6 bolts no?

Several engines stopped using a bolt in that location N* and LS4 are just a couple.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2021 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you expect the Getrag or 4 speed Muncie to bolt up and the clutch to work, a 3800 flywheel needs to be cut (thinned to fit) IIRC to .82".

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2021 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I recall, I had to buy a 3800 flywheel for the mid 90's Camaro setup, a 94 I think, and have it milled. Not a big deal.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock