Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Reverse Light Wiring Mistake (3400 swap)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Reverse Light Wiring Mistake (3400 swap) by KaijuSenso
Started on: 09-10-2014 07:28 PM
Replies: 3 (2213 views)
Last post by: KaijuSenso on 09-13-2014 04:36 PM
KaijuSenso

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2014 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This past weekend I pulled my wiring harness out of my 3400 swap fiero (running OBD2) to solder connections and remove excess wire. Car started and runs fine but I noticed my reverse lights no longer work. I believe I have tracked it down to the c500 pin C1 being disconnected and possibly E1 sent to ground (I can not remember if It was always wired like this or if I made a mistake/pulled wires loose when removing the harness from the car.)

Car is an 86 GT with 4 speed manual (so reverse light switch is on the shifter mechanism)
Here are the diagrams I have been going off of trying to figure this out. Where do I connect the C500-C1 (blue) and E1 (lt green)?

Another issue I have gained after reinstalling the wiring harness is that my turn signals no longer work, at all. The hazards will flash though. Could this be caused by removing the C500? H7, H8, H9, and J8 say "Lights: Turn/Stop"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So does anyone know where the two reverse light switch wires run through the firewall and then where they go? I tore the center console apart and without cutting open all of the tape, i think the wires run directly to the fat firewall connector on the passenger side, then I lose the wire. Where did the factory reverse switch wires go between the firewall and the C500?

Note: my reverse lights are blowing the 20A fuse for the turn signals which is why they stopped working. Replaced the fuse, signals worked, put into reverse and blew the fuse again.

[This message has been edited by KaijuSenso (edited 09-12-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Run your Lt. Green and Dk. Blue wires from C500, through your engine harness, through your driver's side bulkhead and then leave enough to reach your reverse switch in the console.

The Dk Blue wire runs from the fuesbox though the pass side firewall bulkhead and then directly to C500. If your body harness was for an automatic the Lt. Green wire does not even run through the pass side bulkhead.

With the rear light connector left off of C500, does the fuse still blow? If that stops it from blowing then remove both reverse bulbs and try again with the rev harness plugged in.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-13-2014).]

KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks phonedawgz. I went ahead and ran new wires from C500 to switch. The fuse doesn't blow anymore and everything works properly. I was hoping to route it as factory but it's near impossible to find where the wires used to go without the original engine in the car anymore...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock