Driver side axle wont pull out by Sile
Started on: 09-16-2013 04:00 PM
Replies: 12 (456 views)
Last post by: tesmith66 on 09-17-2013 09:08 AM
Sile

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So i'm trying to replace my seals and on the driver side I've got everything broke down axles free and ready to come but I cannot get the darn shaft to pull out from the transmission i've tryd prying on it at all angles jossling it around but the think just seems stuck. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
trotterlg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for trotterlgSend a Private Message to trotterlgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pry on both sides of the shaft at the same time it will pop out. Larry
Sile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not working I can't get either side to pop out I feel like i'm missing something.
Sjuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SjuiceClick Here to visit Sjuice's HomePageSend a Private Message to SjuiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a large somewhere around 1-1/2" or bigger open-end wrench to help pry the axle end out. Should straddle both sides of the end. There's been a few threads about that, it worked on my 84 popped 'em right out.
DaytonTD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DaytonTDSend a Private Message to DaytonTDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try putting it in neutral and rotating it trying at different spots, not sure if it will help at all but it should pop out. Could try a longer pry bar too
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prying can do damage to the trans...

Did you See my Cave, Axle

That should work w/ little effort.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had some toughys too. just gotta find the right tool & angle to pop it.

just dont pull it! you will yank the inner CV tri-pot out & rip the boot.
Sile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sjuice:

Get a large somewhere around 1-1/2" or bigger open-end wrench to help pry the axle end out. Should straddle both sides of the end. There's been a few threads about that, it worked on my 84 popped 'em right out.

This worked like a charm on the passenger side with a 2 inch wrench. passenger side is still fighting me though, and it's harder to get a wrench up on it because of the shape of the case.
Sile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sile

61 posts
Member since Aug 2013

Originally posted by theogre:

Prying can do damage to the trans...

Did you See my Cave, Axle

That should work w/ little effort.

Yea I've done all the steps everything is broke down just getting the tripod to pop out now is what I'm fighting. I'm also concerned about damaging the transmission housing will give it a few more shots if i can't get it just going to slap it back together and take it to a shop let them fight it.
Sjuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SjuiceClick Here to visit Sjuice's HomePageSend a Private Message to SjuiceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad the wrench worked for one side.
been so long since i worked on mine but once you get the right angle it should not take a great deal of force to pop them out if your having to force it then try something else. I may have had my whole cradle out/partly when i popped mine but i was starting on a quad4 swap then.

[This message has been edited by Sjuice (edited 09-16-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Slipper toe pry bars. Put one one each side of the axle, nearest the transmission of course, and POP. I swear to God it will work. I had an axle stuck for 2 years. Mechanics couldn't get it out, and then AlanD, here on the forum, came over with these, and it was easy peasy. I got my set for around $10 at harbor Freight.

Jim

[This message has been edited by jimbolaya (edited 09-16-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good info in This thread, including what I posted.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a slide hammer set from Harbor Freight with a chain attachment. Wrap it around the base of the tripot, hook up the hammer and whammo! it's out.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock