Started on: 07-21-2013 07:51 PM
Replies: 9 (491 views)
Last post by: SLOWnSTEADY on 09-01-2013 07:25 PM
SLOWnSTEADY

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, My Fiero experience has been a DISAAAASTER for about 7-8 years now, LOL. Figured I would make a new thread now that stuff finally seems to be coming together for a change! I will start with the story of my Fiero.

I bought the car in 2005 on eBay for $400 from an impound lot in Minnesota where it had been sitting since 1992. The car is a 1987 SE, 5-speed and blue with around 60k original miles. I brought the car home and proceeded to try and start it with no luck. I had fuel, I had spark but no compression. Didn't want to mess with it assuming it had some serious issues so I just yanked the engine and gave it away (later found out it was a freshly rebuilt motor but somehow ended up with the wrong length push-rods) and found myself an LQ1 for $200 that needed rings. I rebuilt it, threw it in the car and it ran like poop. Long story short, it was the timing and I couldn't do it back then. A fellow .nl member stopped up and timed it for me and she was up and running.
Rather than enjoy it as it was, I decided to do a bunch of cosmetic work so it just sat in my garage getting worked on, never really drove it. Then I find out I am a soon to be father and I ended up selling the car in 2007. Years go by and I go through probably 100~ cars and just keep thinking about the one that got away.

Here's what she looked like in 2007 when I sold it: (except I traded a member on here my hood for his stocker before this point)

Jump to 2011... I get a call from a buddy I hadn't talked to in years and he says "DUDE!! your Fiero is on craigslist for sale!" so I decide to give him a call and see about getting it back. Well, the person who had purchased it passed away and his son was selling 20+ of his toys. So I talked to the kid and after some negotiating, I traded him my 4Runner and an Xbox 360 for the Fiero AND a '76 F100 mud toy. Well, the Fiero had been kinda messed with in a bad way and wasn't at all like it was when I sold it. Also had a BAAAD knock. I had a few other projects going on at the time ('73 Mach One and a SBF v8 swapped FC) so The fiero just basically sat for a bit. Until I picked up one of those $300 crate motors from that dealership in Missouri.

Here's what it looked like when I got it back. you can also see the 4Runner I gave him and the F100 I also got. Came with 40x18 super swampers which are in the bed in that picture, couldn't get it on the trailer with those monsters on it!:

Now, jump to last summer. I FINAAAALLY get around to putting the crate motor in the car. all new sensors, EGR delete, A/C gone, ditched the coolant flowing through the intake/t.b., new fuel tank, fuel pump/filter/lines, all new ignition, new flywheel/clutch/slave, 11.25" brakes, poly cradle bushing, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, Darth chip, etc... etc... pretty much everything is new at this point. she starts right up but doesn't like to rev AT ALLLL. I mess with this and that and check everything and blah blah blah for a while and then give up and shut it in the garage.

So, about 2 months ago I decide to get a hold of the member who did my timing years back and see if he wanted to mess with it. Long story short, it was the fuel filter... something I didn't even think of because it was BRAND NEW. sometimes, you just need some fresh eyes to find a simple problem. So, now she is a SCREAMER!! So, the purpose of this thread to keep track of the planned progress now that it is a running/driving car that I can actually enjoy and will continue to work on. LOL

current list of what I can remember:
"LQ1" crate motor
EGR/AC/PS deleted
"Erik" wiring harness
Darth chip
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
5-speed isuzu trans (new slave cylinder and flywheel)
Spec Stage 3 clutch
11.25" brakes
urethane cradle bushings
misc new stuff (plugs, wires, coils, sensors, tie-rods, struts/shocks, springs, rear hubs etc...)

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 07-21-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done much to it since I just got it back yesterday buuuuut. here's an engine bay shot:

and some work done on the spoiler. didn't feel like messing with the screws to hold the stands to the spoiler so I used some Cyanoacrylate glue, which I use to build my subwoofers so it'll have NO problem holding this together! as well as fiberglass and a lil bondo to finish it off, I also filled the grooves on the bottom side of the spoiler, just because... the one wing stand was busted (new that when I bought them) so I also fixed that up.

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 07-21-2013).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see you motivated on it. The Isuzu trans was quite a surprise how it felt behind the DOHC. Makes me want to swap out my 4 speed for one.
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I put a few miles on it today! I didn't know if you'd want me to mention you or not so I just said ".nl member", LOL... Thanks again for the help!
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No prob so what are your driving impressions of it?
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2013 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

No prob so what are your driving impressions of it?

front end seems to have an issue or two or more, LOL... not sure what, seems to make a lot of clunking noises and feels a bit weird over bumps and when cornering hard. but the entire front suspension is original and the entire rear is brand new so, might be part of the issue. The brakes aren't sticking any more but the booster seems to have a leak, gonne replace that at some point and replace/upgrade the brake lines as well. Oh and it still dies when I let of the gas after a hard acceleration...? It has the Darth manual chip so IDK what else would cause that

I haven't really done much to the car other than drive it, LOL. I managed to get the positive battery cable into the front accessory setup and almost had a BIG issue! Ended up just needing to replace the wires so I ordered a 1/0 "amp install kit" from KnuKonceptz (I use them for all my car audio stuff) which I will be using to relocate the battery up front. Having my buddy (owner of American Livewells) make me a battery tray as well.

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 08-09-2013).]

SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got my wiring for the battery relocation and my buddy is making me a relocation tray for the front compartment. Probably won't get around to it until next week/weekend but, I got the stuff at least. Running 1/0 CCA wire from KnuKonceptz, which is actually much closer to 2/0 and it is GREAT wire at a fantastic price! I've used there stuff for years when I was competing in car audio and have used it for many other things as well. LOL this is just a basic "amp install kit" that cost lik4 $50...

SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been 95*-100* here lately so I was pretty unmotivated to get out to the garage... finally got a cooler day so I got a bit of work done on it, not much though. Still have to do the main power run back to the alternator. Now work is sending me to Georgia for a month so, it'll be a good bit before I can do anything again. :-/

[This message has been edited by SLOWnSTEADY (edited 09-01-2013).]

Twilight Fenrir

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Twilight FenrirSend a Private Message to Twilight FenrirEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SLOWnSTEADY:

Where did you find an Interstate battery with a handle? O_o As much as I love Interstate batteries, I always hated that they didn't have handles on them like EVERY other battery in the world... I've been using an old belt with mine, because it's virtually impossible to get it in and out of the stock location without SOME sort of handle XD
SLOWnSTEADY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2013 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLOWnSTEADYSend a Private Message to SLOWnSTEADYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a marine battery, I think all the marine/deep cycles have handles.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock