Rear End Sway by bomluuk
Started on: 05-28-2014 12:27 PM
Replies: 106 (3402 views)
Last post by: 4thfiero on 02-24-2015 09:06 AM
bomluuk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 GT.
I get a real bad sway when driving on the freeway. Its not scary, but it is definately noticeable. I seem to remember it happening when I got new tires put on the rear.
I'm currently running 205/40/17 in the front and 235/45/17 in the rear. Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR on 17x7 wheels.
Is this more likely the issue, or would it be more likely that there is something else off with the rear suspension.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those tires are not going to sway anything. Start by looking at engine mounts.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Those tires are not going to sway anything. Start by looking at engine mounts.

Good to know its not the tires. The engine mounts are all poly (just put in with a 3800 swap) as well as the cradle bushings.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assumed you checked inflation....any tire will move around if it is underinflated.
ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like worn cradle bushings. The stock ones get very spongy with age. Check out the aluminum replacements from Rodney Dickman...

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear inner tie rod replacement fixed my sway on a 1986.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60 - SOLD
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be bad alignment or bad rear struts too.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assumed you checked inflation....any tire will move around if it is underinflated.

Yes. I have run 32 psi, 35 psi, and even 40 psi just to see.

Originally posted by ag9123:
Sounds like worn cradle bushings. The stock ones get very spongy with age. Check out the aluminum replacements from Rodney Dickman...

They have been replace with poly very recently.

Originally posted by Grantman:
Rear inner tie rod replacement fixed my sway on a 1986.

I'll have to check that out. Where did you get yours from?

Originally posted by 2.5:
Could be bad alignment or bad rear struts too.

I did replace the struts a while ago (don't have many miles on them though), but kept the original springs.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bomluuk:

I did replace the struts a while ago (don't have many miles on them though), but kept the original springs.

Aligned right afterwards?
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Aligned right afterwards?

Yeah.

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine from Rodney. I had new struts, replaced cradle bushing with poly when the motor was out, after the alignment the mechanic pointed out that one of the rear tie rods was bad. I replaced both and it solved my problem. no more swaying. but on these cars there are many things that it could be.
PFF
System Bot
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered some tie rods from Rodney. I'll report back here when they are replaced.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not an engineer but common sense tells me that extra wide tires put a lot more lateral load on the suspension which will wear out the components.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-05-2016).]

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove behind my son for several hundred miles watching him sway all over. The issue was a broken drivers' side rear wheel bearing.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

I'm voting alignment as well. I just drove my 88 1621 miles across country and the steering was terrifying. Wander was nearly uncontrollable on uneven roads so it is off to the alignment shop today. I have Koni struts and 350# springs (LS4) so anything other than smooth roads really amplify surface problems. Washboard roads are particularly bad. Worn tierods will definitely cause an issue as well. How many miles are on your car?

Dr. W.

Car has roughly 96,058 miles. An alignment was performed after I replaced the struts in the rear.

My plan is to replace the tie rods and ball joints, get it aligned again, and see what that does.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bomluuk

371 posts
Member since Apr 2012

Originally posted by IdahoGT:

I drove behind my son for several hundred miles watching him sway all over. The issue was a broken drivers' side rear wheel bearing.

Were there any other symptoms of the broken wheel bearing? How would I go about diagnosing this?

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bomluuk

371 posts
Member since Apr 2012
From reading this short thread
it seems that a wheel bearing may be the issue, or at least part of it.
I have a screeching/grinding noise but thought it was from my brakes. I'll replace the bearings too.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are the rear Lower control arm Bushings ? next guess Alignment
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bomluuk:

I have a screeching/grinding noise .

This is the kind of information that is important for problem solving, no matter how unconnected you may think it is.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the kind of information that is important for problem solving, no matter how unconnected you may think it is.

Agreed, but its hard to determine what to share and what not to share, vs just sharing every little thing that is wrong with my car. I'm getting good ideas from everyone so far so I think I did ok.

PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And there are times multiple things are bad all at the same time only confounding the problem. my 3800SC had a bad fuel pump and wouldn't start, as soon as that was fixed it stutters over 4,000 rpm and throws a code which will need to be sorted. thought the stuttering was the bad fuel pump. oh well.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60 - SOLD
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have owned a lot of cars and never had a broken wheel bearing, is this something Fieros are prone to have?
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

And there are times multiple things are bad all at the same time only confounding the problem. my 3800SC had a bad fuel pump and wouldn't start, as soon as that was fixed it stutters over 4,000 rpm and throws a code which will need to be sorted. thought the stuttering was the bad fuel pump. oh well.

I understand.

My 3800sc had the same stutter problem when you got on the throttle as well. I replaced the plugs and wires and the issue went away. I metered the old plug wires and one of them showed infinite so I'm pretty sure it was a plug wire vs a plug.

[This message has been edited by bomluuk (edited 05-29-2014).]

Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good to know. this car sat for 10 months before I picked it up.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I have owned a lot of cars and never had a broken wheel bearing, is this something Fieros are prone to have?

No. I have read some posts that talk about loose wheel bearings making the car unstable, but they rarely break.
plane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for planeSend a Private Message to planeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hub nut can be loose. I have experienced this sway badly on a race track. The newer 28mm hub nuts are not as good as the older 30mm (sold by Fiero Store). I went through 3 hubs until I fixed the nut problem and never looked back. Check the torque and quality of the hub nuts.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jack up the rear and give the wheel the wiggle test.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the struts again - one could have gone bad. I have had that happen - 6 months old, started to get a sway. Checked everything and decided to remove the struts and check those and sure enough 1 was bad.

Had the issue as well with a bad bearing nut a year after that (it had backed off and the bearings was ruined) - new bearing and nuts both sides.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-30-2014).]

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Check the struts again - one could have gone bad. I have had that happen - 6 months old, started to get a sway. Checked everything and decided to remove the struts and check those and sure enough 1 was bad.

Had the issue as well with a bad bearing nut a year after that (it had backed off and the bearings was ruined) - new bearing and nuts both sides.

When you say check the struts, do you mean take the strut apart and compress it?

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you changed the struts and did not realign the rear it makes the swaying bad. When I replaced mine I went for a drive and it was really bad. A small change in the camber of the rear wheels makes a big difference in the toe of the rear and causes the sway you feel. When you change the struts it changes the camber and thus the toe.
You don't have to be as concerned with the camber as the toe.
I dialed my toe back to 0 and the sway went away.
PFF
System Bot
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the rack beshing cut my sway at speed in 1/2 but i also suspect rear tie rods.

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the hubs out and am waiting for the new ones to arrive, along with the tie rods.
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hubs have been replaced, but the sway still remains. I torqued the cradle bolts to spec and that didn't help either. The grinding noise was my brake dust shield touching my rotors. At least that's fixed. This weekend: tie rods and ball joints.
fastblack

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fastblackSend a Private Message to fastblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm gonna throw my $.02 in here and guess it's the tie rod ends. My 87 GT had this problem when I bought it, new tie rod ends throughout the rear fixed it.

FWIW, I run a wider than stock tire and on poor road surfaces at speeds above 60 or so I notice a "sway" where the car seems to dance in its lane. Not noticeable in other cars on the same section of road. I heard somewhere a while ago that the stock Fiero suspension does not especially like wide tires and always contributed it to that since my car car tracks perfectly down good road surfaces and most suspension components are fairly new. Again, just my $.02.

[This message has been edited by fastblack (edited 06-04-2014).]

bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2014 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fastblack:

I'm gonna throw my $.02 in here and guess it's the tie rod ends. My 87 GT had this problem when I bought it, new tie rod ends throughout the rear fixed it.

FWIW, I run a wider than stock tire and on poor road surfaces at speeds above 60 or so I notice a "sway" where the car seems to dance in its lane. Not noticeable in other cars on the same section of road. I heard somewhere a while ago that the stock Fiero suspension does not especially like wide tires and always contributed it to that since my car car tracks perfectly down good road surfaces and most suspension components are fairly new. Again, just my $.02.

I'll take any 2 pennies anyone throws at me. I've got the tie rods already and I'll start the install tomorrow.
daveg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2014 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you were on the right track in the first place. You said it started after you changed the rear tires. Before spending money, I would swap the tires, or at least rotate front-back and test drive again. While you have the rear off, check for play in the bearings, tie rod, and ball joint.

dave
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of my outer tie rod ends has an issue. I can't get the nut on because the bolt end will spin. Is there a way to fix this or do I need a new one?
bomluuk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bomluukSend a Private Message to bomluukEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bomluuk

371 posts
Member since Apr 2012
Looks like it's normal. Here's a trick for anyone who has the same problem.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Q: How do you make a car repair video?

A: Find an above-ground swimming pool and some guns......

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock