Started on: 04-28-2023 09:34 AM
Replies: 58 (728 views)
Last post by: Wichita on 05-08-2023 08:18 PM
MidEngineManiac

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2023 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not the dumbest cartoon or meme that's appeared on this forum. I give the nod for that distinction to this one, that appeared a few days ago:

But if I had to equate it (this MEM meme) with something, what comes to mind is a disposable 12-ounce drink cup, with the remains of a cup of coffee that was mostly consumed several hours ago (if not the previous day). An odorless, dark brown liquid with sediment, having reached the thermal equilibrium of room temperature, and hardly any more reminiscent of fresh-brewed coffee than water that's puddled on a street or sidewalk after a rain.

The very essence of "stale".

williegoat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The left says that if a male calls himself a female, he is a female, yet our secretary of transportation says that we need to make female crash test dummies. If you don't see how absurd that is, you just aren't paying attention.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No worries, the leftist mind virus has already captured the youth. They have convinced 20% of them is a special TQ+ person.

A bizarre influence well above the rarity of people actually being gay or trans.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by williegoat:
The left says that if a male calls himself a female, he is a female, yet our secretary of transportation says that we need to make female crash test dummies. If you don't see how absurd that is, you just aren't paying attention.

And the "right" says that if you used a flagpole like an ancient Greek warrior's spear to attack a Capitol policeman, then used it again like a medieval battering ram to smash your way through an exterior door or window to gain entrance to a closed Capitol building, all for the purpose of intimidating lawmakers, you were just "touring" the Capitol building.

But the transgender "thing" isn't everything... it's the only thing.

On the whole, I like a lot of the news reports that I'm seeing.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rinselberg:

I am sure you do. We know what you are seeing.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No worries from leftist groomer clowns.

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And the "right" says that if you used a flagpole like an ancient Greek warrior's spear to attack a Capitol policeman, then used it again like a medieval battering ram to smash your way through an exterior door or window to gain entrance to a closed Capitol building, all for the purpose of intimidating lawmakers, you were just "touring" the Capitol building.

No legitimate representative of the right is excusing the vandalism or the violence.

But the transgender "thing" isn't everything... it's the only thing.

It is a glaring example of how bizarre, gullible and out of touch many leftists have become.

As cliffw said, no one is surprised at that admission.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

This dude has GOT to be in California or New York.

I wonder what these Millennials will be like when they're in their 70s. Are they going to be like... "We stood against fascism and supported gender diversity!!!" and pretend that they're like the people in the 50s and 60s who marked with MLK?
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Wow. That guy. In the Black Lives Matter shirt. Am I disturbed by what I am seeing, or am I seeing what I am seeing because I'm disturbed?"
PFF
System Bot
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2023 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"He", "Dude", "Man"? Nobody even bothered to as "them" what "their" preferred pronouns are. Y'all sound like a bunch of deadly insurrectionists.
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2023 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"He", "Dude", "Man"? Nobody even bothered to as "them" what "their" preferred pronouns are. Y'all sound like a bunch of deadly insurrectionists.

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck and sheds bull-sheet water like a duck......

It probably self-identifies as a moose.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 04-28-2023).]

MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2023 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MidEngineManiac

29566 posts
Member since Feb 2007
<edit, edit....wrong window and forum...but screw it, it's a good song. Enjoy >

Yeh, I suck at multi-tasking.

This whole freedom thing is...well...

Not the 1st time I been in cuff. Probably not the last.

We will be free.

[This message has been edited by MidEngineManiac (edited 04-28-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2023 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure...dress however ya want, put on make-up , where lace panties and tuck your dick back....It's your right.. In your own bedroom.

Somewhere else.

Not in my home you wont.

Thats my right, homosexuals....and you are about 3 inches away from having your self-identified carcass thrown through a wood-chipper.

And **** your pronouns. I dont work in the complaints department....the give-a-**** -department is over in India, call them. They dont give a **** either.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't know there was a law in Canada that says you have to let them into your home.
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

This dude has GOT to be in California or New York.

Chicago, there are several clues.
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Wichita (edited 04-29-2023).]

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are social media groups that are constantly churning these vignettes—slices of life, as it were—these memes and cartoons, to post or circulate as a way to "be offended." It's a truly perverse kind of virtue signaling. It's monotonously repetitive... banality with a capital "B" and glibness with a capital "G". What's remarkable is just how much of the world around them elicits not any of their thoughts. If their voices on this forum are an accurate representation, they have somehow collapsed to just two dimensions and become trapped in a cartoon world.

I revel in their insignificance.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-29-2023).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There are social media groups that are constantly churning these vignettes—slices of life, as it were—these memes and cartoons, to post or circulate as a way to "be offended." It's a truly perverse kind of virtue signaling. It's monotonously repetitive... banality with a capital "B" and glibness with a capital "G". What's remarkable is just how much of the world around them elicits not any of their thoughts. If their voices on this forum are an accurate representation, they have somehow collapsed to just two dimensions and become trapped in a cartoon world.

'B' as in boy?

'G' as in girl?
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2023 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
'B' as in boy? 'G' as in girl?

That last cartoon didn't stop at "gender fluidity". It went beyond that. It got into the ability/disability space, and into the "race space"... (I like that.)

This series of cartoons and memes is mind-numbingly repetitive. Why would a group almost entirely discard the more time-honored formats for discourse, such as short essays or expositions, or excerpts from reports that have been published or otherwise come to their attention, and limit themselves with very few exceptions to cartoons and memes?

It's because the only thoughts that they allow themselves to have are thoughts that have been oversimplified and so, dumbed down enough to be made small enough to fit within the very narrow confines of discourse that are representable using a meme or cartoon.

The tagline for the frequently aired Neuriva (memory supplement) ad with the kitchen and cooking whiz Alton Brown is "Neuriva—Think Bigger."

The meme and cartoon addicts are going with "Memes and Cartoons: Think Smaller."

This is the "rump" of social media.

"My most important kitchen tool? My brain." Alton Brown for Neuriva.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 04-30-2023).]

Fats

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 75
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FatsSend a Private Message to FatsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is it like the cartoon version of a certain forum member regurgitating news stories from far left sources? The main difference is probably that the memes are at least entertaining and wanted.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MidEngineManiac:
If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck and sheds bull-sheet water like a duck......

It probably self-identifies as a moose.

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35952 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Looks like a queer to me. Or is he a lesbian ? A trans ? Who the hell knows.

By the way, does trans mean trans sanity ?
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35952 posts
Member since Jun 2003

What's remarkable is just how much of the world around them elicits not any of their thoughts.

Remarkable is how lucky we are to have you on the Forum. You know all, including what everybody in the world thinks.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That last cartoon didn't stop at "gender fluidity". It went beyond that. It got into the ability/disability space, and into the "race space"... (I like that.)

This series of cartoons and memes is mind-numbingly repetitive. Why would a group almost entirely discard the more time-honored formats for discourse, such as short essays or expositions, or excerpts from reports that have been published or otherwise come to their attention, and limit themselves with very few exceptions to cartoons and memes?

It's because the only thoughts that they allow themselves to have are thoughts that have been oversimplified and so, dumbed down enough to be made small enough to fit within the very narrow confines of discourse that are representable using a meme or cartoon.

The tagline for the frequently aired Neuriva (memory supplement) ad with the kitchen and cooking whiz Alton Brown is "Neuriva—Think Bigger."

The meme and cartoon addicts are going with "Memes and Cartoons: Think Smaller."

This is the "rump" of social media.

"My most important kitchen tool? My brain." Alton Brown for Neuriva.

Or, perhaps those that post memes are just sick of your incessant blathering about the empty and immoral ideas of the radical left.

You are being laughed at.

Not because you are funny, but because you are a parrot, mindlessly mimicking the crap you hear on the TV.

Just an observation from someone who really doesn't give flying fart about what you say about anything.

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"B", "G"... and "I" for insipid.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

rinselberg

16118 posts
Member since Mar 2010

Or, perhaps those that post memes are just sick of your incessant blathering about the empty and immoral ideas of the radical left.

You are being laughed at. Not because you are funny, but because you are a parrot, mindlessly mimicking the crap you hear on the TV.

Just an observation from someone who really doesn't give flying fart about what you say about anything.

That looks like disgruntlement, and I don't think it's just me. I think it's as much or more about what "olejoedad" sees when he's looking beyond the forum, and not thinking directly about things that I say on this forum.

I still remember there was a forum member who was posting on a daily basis, rooting for Mitt Romney to be elected President in 2012, and predicting that Romney would win, and when the election was called for a second term for Obama instead, that forum member vanished without any further trace. His last message (at least in Totally O/T) was just prior to that election being called.

It was as if that forum member's reaction to the election results was to say "If I can't come to the forum to talk about news and events that I like, then I won't come to the forum anymore at all."

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Virtually all of my time is spent looking beyond this Forum, as that is where REAL LIFE happens.

Disgruntled? 🤣🤣🤣
Wichita

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PFF
System Bot
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2023 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Right on cue, another example of how the "Memes and Cartoons" people limit their contemplation of the world to peering upon it as if they were squinting to see into a darkened room through a keyhole, from the other side of the door. "Dumb it down, and make it small enough for a cartoon."

"How private equity firms are widening the income gap in the U.S."
Terry Gross for NPR; April 26, 2023.
https://www.npr.org/2023/04...ncome-gap-in-the-u-s

NPR's Terry Gross interviews financial journalist Gretchen Morgenson about Morgenson's new book "The Plunderers".

[Gretchen Morgenson is] the senior financial reporter for the NBC News investigations unit. She previously was a New York Times columnist and a senior writer in the investigations unit at the Wall Street Journal. She won a Pulitzer Prize in 2002 for her reporting on Wall Street. Morgenson's new book is called "These Are the Plunderers: How Private Equity Runs—And Wrecks—America." Her co-author, Joshua Rosner, is a financial policy analyst.

"Private Equity Is Gutting America—and Getting Away With It"
Brendan Ballou for the New York Times; April 28, 2023.
https://www.nytimes.com/202.../private-equity.html

[Brendan] Ballou is an attorney and the author of the forthcoming “Plunder: Private Equity’s Plan to Pillage America,” from which this essay is adapted.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Deny the truths presented with the last meme.

Do it with hard data and real facts.

If you don't, it is because you are unable .....
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Deny the truths presented with the last meme. Do it with hard data and real facts. If you don't, it is because you are unable .....

Oh yeah, like it's all on me. Why don't you drill down on that "Socialism" meme?

There's no one version of Socialism. I think there are places around the world, at the scale of nations, and down to municipalities, where the residents and citizens would (if asked) express their support for, and their satisfaction with aspects of their lives—governing programs and policies—that could fairly be described as "Socialism". I think these are places where it's not Socialism across the boards, but a woven fabric (so to speak) that interweaves both Capitalist and Socialist "threads" into the system that they are living within.

The people who are into memes like that Socialism meme are like people laughing at the house across the street that's burning down, while behind them, they'r e own kitchen has just burst into flames and is scorching their backsides. But they're oblivious to any realities that do not line up with their preconceived notions and agendas.

That's why they are so "into" memes and cartoons. "Dumb it down" and "Think Bigger Smaller". That's how they roll.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-03-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh yeah, like it's all on me. Why don't you drill down on that "Socialism" meme?

There's no one version of Socialism. I think there are places around the world, at the scale of nations, and down to municipalities, where the residents and citizens would (if asked) express their support for, and their satisfaction with aspects of their lives—governing programs and policies—that could fairly be described as "Socialism". I think these are places where it's not Socialism across the boards, but a woven fabric (so to speak) that interweaves both Capitalist and Socialist "threads" into the system that they are living within.

The people who are into memes like that Socialism meme are like people laughing at the house across the street that's burning down, while behind them, they'r e own kitchen has just burst into flames and is scorching their backsides. But they're oblivious to any realities that do not line up with their preconceived notions and agendas.

That's why they are so "into" memes and cartoons. "Dumb it down" and "Think Bigger Smaller". That's how they roll.

Socialism is a scam perpetrated by the aristocracy. The gullible are duped into enabling the implementation of Noe-Feudalism around the world. They are promised that the "rich people" will pay for the future utopia.
rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the term socialism has lost its once-automatic linkage to the United States’ mortal enemy. The embrace of socialism no longer incurs the taint of treason, and proposals advanced by avowed socialists have expanded the perimeter of acceptable debate. As recent comments on the imperiled future of capitalism by Jamie Dimon, the CEO of JPMorgan Chase & Co, and Ray Dalio of Bridgewater Associates suggest, the sharper critiques of capitalism are gaining attention from capitalists themselves. In the past—from the New Deal years through the 1960s—fears for the system’s future have led important voices within the business world to embrace social reform as necessary to saving the system. Socialists might once again be the forerunners of capitalist reform.

I am not familiar with these comments from Dimon and Dalio (which sounds like a law firm.)

A paragraph, copied with care and pasted with precision.

"Socialism: A short primer"
E.J. Dionne, Jr. and William A. Galston; blog post; Brookings Institution;May 13, 2019.
https://www.brookings.edu/b...lism-a-short-primer/
williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Socialism is for ants and bees.

Capitalism has advanced human society because it provides incentive to improve the quality of life.
ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Socialism is for ants and bees.

Capitalism has advanced human society because it provides incentive to improve the quality of life.

BS

the least laws the smallest gov in the western world is HAITI
THE MOST TOTALLY CAPITALIST [and least social ]

AND RULE MANY YEARS BY THE USA ARMY OR MARINES

AND THE WORST GOV IN THE WESTERN WORLD

balance of social and capital is the only way

rinselberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What's in a word?

There has always been a gap between rhetoric and reality in discussions of (and, especially, attacks on) socialism. Not one economically advanced society can be described as purely capitalist; every one of them is a mixed economy that includes some elements of socialism. Medicare and Social Security are, in a sense, socialist, and so are our public schools and universities, our community colleges, our water supplies and sewers, and our mass transit systems. Municipally owned and built sports stadiums are forms of socialism. North Dakota still has a publicly-owned bank, created during the years when agrarian populism and socialism overlapped. The Tennessee Valley Authority is a form of socialism, as conservatives never tire of pointing out.

Ideas rooted in socialism have often been deployed to save capitalism from its excesses—usually in the face of opposition from capitalists themselves. The political scientist Mason Williams points to a comment from New Deal lawyer Jerome Frank as capturing this history nicely. “We socialists are trying to save capitalism,” Frank said, “and the damned capitalists won’t let us.”

And from Franklin Roosevelt to Barack Obama, conservatives have made it a point to charge their Democratic foes with being socialists, no matter how many speeches they made in praise of the market. In attacking the program of his erstwhile friend FDR, Al Smith declared: “There can be only one national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner or the Internationale.” In the 1950 mid-term elections, Republicans briefly used the slogan “Liberty versus socialism.” (It turned out not to test very well.) Ronald Reagan’s 1964 speech on behalf of Barry Goldwater that made The Gipper a hero to conservatives argued that Goldwater’s victory over Lyndon Johnson was necessary to stop the advance of socialism. And, of course, Barack Obama’s health care plan, which was a very long way from a single payer system, was regularly denounced as socialist.

For the most part, Democratic politicians have regularly denied they were socialists—and even in this campaign cycle, marked by socialism’s resurgence, most Democrats earnestly pronounce themselves capitalists. The ranks of proud capitalists include Elizabeth Warren, who is by most measures as progressive as Sanders and has issued even more comprehensive proposals than he has to restructure contemporary capitalism. The fact that Sanders calls himself a socialist and Warren does not suggests that socialist/capitalist divide tells us less about policy than we might think and more about the valence assigned to the labels by different parts of the electorate.

That was copy and paste from "Socialism: A short primer", again. That blog post on the Brookings Institution's website.

But I bet I had you going. You probably thought I was just posting that right off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by rinselberg (edited 05-03-2023).]

williegoat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2023 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for williegoatClick Here to visit williegoat's HomePageSend a Private Message to williegoatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But I bet I had you going. You probably thought I was just posting that right off the top of my head.

Uh, no. It was much too succinct.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock