Chrysler Crossfire opinions? by railshot
Started on: 06-06-2018 09:36 PM
Replies: 20 (691 views)
Last post by: railshot on 04-19-2019 01:51 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering if anyone has experience with one?

I am in the market and have been fascinated with them since they first came out..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2018 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try sitting in one. It makes the Solstice feel roomy.
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I'd probably just buy an SLK. A hand-me-down R170 with quirky styling? Pass.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually like the Crossfires "pooping dog" look.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The styling would be the only reason to buy it - because otherwise it's a previous-generation SLK (the Crossfire/R170 was sold while Mercedes was selling the revised R171). Mechanically and financially speaking, I can't see the wisdom in buying a Mercedes maintenance requirement with a Chrysler badge (and maybe resale value?). Don't get me wrong - I have absolutely bought cars that make no sense but I like how they look (I have a Fiero after all - HA!) - but just know what you're getting into. And it sounds like you probably do!

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2018 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thesameguy:

The styling would be the only reason to buy it - because otherwise it's a previous-generation SLK (the Crossfire/R170 was sold while Mercedes was selling the revised R171). Mechanically and financially speaking, I can't see the wisdom in buying a Mercedes maintenance requirement with a Chrysler badge (and maybe resale value?). Don't get me wrong - I have absolutely bought cars that make no sense but I like how they look (I have a Fiero after all - HA!) - but just know what you're getting into. And it sounds like you probably do!

I have been known to buy "oddities" in the past just because I find them appealing to me, and we both do have a Fiero, so that alone says a lot. heheheh.

I am so unfamiliar with Mercedes, so I have to ask.... What is the difference between the R170 and the R171?
Truly a newbie to this brand, so please help me out.... the only Mercedes name I can even think of is the Kompressor badge, and that is just in passing and reading a bit out of curiosity for what it was.

Resale value means little to me as I buy what I am attracted to.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot: I am so unfamiliar with Mercedes, so I have to ask.... What is the difference between the R170 and the R171?

R170 is the first generation SLK chassis, whereas the R171 is the second. When Mercedes switched to the R171 chassis, they gave the R170 chassis design to Chrysler. So the Crossfire is basically a hand-me-down Mercedes with a body kit. Since the mechanicals are Mercedes, it will be costly to maintain.

One of my coworkers had a Crossfire. I wasn't very impressed with it. It struck me as a "grandpa cruiser" pretending to be a sports car. You get the downsides of a low-slung sports car (cramped interior, harsh ride, crappy fuel economy, etc) without any of the upsides. The engine isn't very powerful, and doesn't make "sporty car" noises. The suspension was probably supposed to feel sporty, but IMO just feels overly harsh, like the suspension is over-damped. Once again, this is all subjective. You might have a completely different experience. But I would never buy one.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:One of my coworkers had a Crossfire. I wasn't very impressed with it. It struck me as a "grandpa cruiser" pretending to be a sports car. You get the downsides of a low-slung sports car (cramped interior, harsh ride, crappy fuel economy, etc) without any of the upsides. The engine isn't very powerful, and doesn't make "sporty car" noises. The suspension was probably supposed to feel sporty, but IMO just feels overly harsh, like the suspension is over-damped. Once again, this is all subjective. You might have a completely different experience. But I would never buy one.

Prior to buying my Solstice GXP I test drove a friend's (wife's) R170 SLK320 and found it underwhelming. Cruiser is definitely apt - it was small and looked sporty but it drove a lot more SL than Miata. However, that was actually not unlike the BMW Z3 at the same, and the Z3M was fun albeit fugly, so I tried a Crossfire SRT-6 at a used car lot. It was fast but a snoozefest. I *think* it's a reasonably capable chassis, but the interior is cramped (as noted) and there is a decided disconnect between driver and car. It just felt awkward. I did end up with the Solstice, which also wasn't great, but occupied a happy space between too-slow Miata and too-buzzy S2000.

If you like the styling of the Crossfire and aren't looking for a pocket rocket, you could do worse. It's *generally* reliable but mechanically costly (due to Mercedes bits) when things go wrong. It's not a weight I'd be willing to bear, but you could do worse for sure. Given that you're not looking for a small dynamic coupe, it's probably worth a test drive to see if being in one offsets the cost of owning one, and that's gonna be a very personal decision. OTOH, if you're just looking for something small and fun is on the shopping list, I'd look elsewhere - maybe even an R171 SLK... I suspect they are priced similarly to Crossfires being of similar year and similar MSRPs.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2018 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions, and if what I am reading is correct, I should really go back to lusting after a Solstice or Sky.
They are on my most wanted list, and I trust my GM cars more than most I have had.....

As a matter of fact, all I have are GM right now.

2011 HHR
2010 HHR
1999 S10 ZR2...… and of course,
1988 Fiero GT.

So I have been swayed, back to looking for another (GM) two seater!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd prefer a good Fiero to a Solstice/Sky, Fiero is much roomier and more practical stock to stock, the Solstice/Sky will be faster, though.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2018 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

I'd prefer a good Fiero to a Solstice/Sky, Fiero is much roomier and more practical stock to stock, the Solstice/Sky will be faster, though.

Thanks RWDPLZ,
I am thinking more along the lines of one of each.
Fiero and a Solstice / Sky.

Looking at prices today, I think I just may wait until mid winter, or take a drive to the deep south.

Amazing how the prices up here are compared to the south...... I guess it is a matter of supply and demand.
More were probably sold in the south, which makes sense to me, plus it would more than likely be pretty much rust free not being driven on any salty roads.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2018 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a superb driver's car, and are comfortable in your sexuality, go look at MX5s/Miatas.
Try to find one that hasn't been modded. They are great, right out of the box. And some peoples' mods are just... dumb.

Best "driver's car" I've ever owned.
mousemeat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2018 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mousemeatSend a Private Message to mousemeatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Not exactly...I got my ' 87 GT V6, fine tuned...purrs like a kitten...and it almost as quick as my stock 06 solstice. My fiero rides better, more room, and the seats are much more comfortable...the only thing I like better on my Solstice, is the 5 sp..over the fire's 5 sp.........and there seems to be more FIERO parts avilable....than the Solstice....go figure...
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2018 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My cousin leased one when they first came out and it was one fast car when I drove it a few times. When the lease was up, he let it go. Earlier this year he found a yellow convertible and bought that. He has a tendency of buying cars then not driving them as he has three Buick Reattas, a 38 Buick, a 40 Olds, a 02 Saturn View, A Toyota Solara convertible and a Dodge Journey. He had a 39 Packard, but he got it cheap, then sold it for about 2x of what he paid for it. The only car he drives routinely is the Saturn which has nearly 200,000 miles on it.
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2018 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cant get into a SKY. my knee will not slide past the bottom of the steering wheel. I keep looking at them and as the prices fall I start thinking about how to modify the seat.
Perhaps I should just hold out for an 88 formula and be happy
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2018 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Crossfire now and rather enjoy it. However, I cannot disagree with some of the criticisms sent it's way here either.

IMO it's biggest failing as a sports car is the lack of precision and feel of the steering. This is well documented in reviews and it is true. Once you get used to it, you can trust it for a certain level of grip. However, it is not easy to get the exact line you want or maintain it, and you do not get feedback (especially compared to a Fiero). A BRZ would be a far better scalpel for canyon carving (although after having owned one of those, I would not recommend it).

To me, the Crossfire has a bit more of a muscle car feel to how it drives. It is fun in point and shoot driving. Good acceleration if your in the right gear (not V8 levels, but I'll take the standard V6 to get the stick shift over the supercharged V6 auto only combo... which is pretty fast).

Interior materials and build quality is pretty cheap. I like the design, but the feel can leave you wanting. Lots of rattles and hard plastics. Space once inside is ok. I am 6 foot tall and fit and can drive it comfortably.

Also these cars are finicky with their electrics. I feel like I am always hunting down some electrical failure or another... and mine has just 22K miles on it. I do like tinkering on cars and do not rely on it for primary transportation so I do not mind this. However, Mercedes parts can be a bit pricey and not the easiest to find... and some people just are no good tracking down electrical system issues. I was surprised how different it's needs are than my Fieros had been.

For an affordable sporty looking and driving car I think it can be fun. If your looking for a top performer, especially in the turns, then it may not be the car for you.

Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2018 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wife had one and loved it. It was a black convertible with an auto trans and low miles. She would still have had it. had she not hit a deer one night in 2016. It just needed a fender, lower front pan and one headlight, but State-Farrn totaled the car; because the parts were too hard to find and expensive? So get this, they gave her something like $12,000 for it. The fender could have been fixed east enough and had I been in better health i would have paid the $1,200 and done it myself. it was a fun car for auto-trans. She now drives a 2017 Mazda C-3.

[This message has been edited by Francis T (edited 12-29-2018).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2019 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

If you want a superb driver's car, and are comfortable in your sexuality, go look at MX5s/Miatas.
Try to find one that hasn't been modded. They are great, right out of the box. And some peoples' mods are just... dumb.

Best "driver's car" I've ever owned.

I love Miatas too....guess I'm "comfortable". I've never owned one, but have driven enough to get the idea (a friend of mine owns 3).

Another car to consider is the Toyota MR2 Spyder. Also kinda fugly, but the steering is almost telepathic and you have Toyota reliability to boot. It's a small car, but fairly roomy inside. The top is just as easy to use as the Miata too. The biggest downside is no trunk space whatsoever, but it's a ball to drive.
BodymanBill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BodymanBillSend a Private Message to BodymanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go for it!
Alot of women own that car!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2019 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a couple of reviews:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXUhdSKNqg

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBXHeOJHMI0

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXUhdSKNqg

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 03-24-2019).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2019 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Here's a couple of reviews:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXUhdSKNqg

2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBXHeOJHMI0

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtXUhdSKNqg

OK, so I have not looked here for a bit, and if I read things correctly, (and thanks for the videos CoolBlue87GT), if I am comfortable with my sexuality, and like "quirky" cars, I should get me one....
LOL, I just may! Hell, I have owned 9 Fiero's in my lifetime, why not one more little quirky car...… Heheheh…...

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock