Started on: 11-18-2017 12:07 PM
Replies: 12 (542 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-19-2018 09:10 AM
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been in contact with a guy in Sweden, town of Uppsala, who owns a 1977 AMC AMX, he has restored it. For the past week, we've been exchanging photo's and stories about his car and the 1974 Hornet that I owned. When the 77 AMX came out, I loved the look of them, why I didn't trade in for one, I don't know. - Oh yeah, I remember now, I was only 18 years old, couldn't afford one.

I find it fascinating that an American car of that year ended up in Sweden, it's still left hand drive. He installed a 401 engine with around 400hp in place of the stock V8.

In his words, Bought it 5 years ago from Whitefish, Montana. A lady sold it. 1100 dollar. Standing still since 1996. The car was damaged a lot, almost everywhere. Alot of rust. Engine was not in good condition, gearbox the same. It took 2 years to fix the car.

This was the "Before" photo when the car arrived in Sweden.

I'm going to send the owner a link to this post. By the way he did say he liked the look of Fiero's , after I sent some photo's to him.

Following are copied from the emails we've sent back & forth.

If I ever sold off the Fiero’s, I’d love to pick up another Hornet, yours is the best looking example I’ve seen in many years. I’d have to install A/C, as Florida is pretty
warm all the time. I know there aren’t many Hornet AMX's available anymore that would be worth my time.

Here’s a few shots of my 1974 Hornet Hatchback.

While on the trip to Calf, found this window covering, it had tiny pin holes where you could see thru it enough from the inside to keep it legal. It kept the car cooler. These were popular in the late 70’s. It was before aftermarket window tinting existed.

Added this tachometer, was a blank plate before.

Had a black interior, was an automatic, I modified the floor shifter, put a Hurst boot and T handle.
It made it look like the car had a four speed. I always wished it had A/C.

258 six, installed Hooker Headers, dual exhaust, free flow mufflers, equivalent to what are now Flowmasters.

The car held up pretty good as I was 16 when I got it, I didn’t treat it to bad, my dad, who was a policeman would have killed me if I tore it up, as he paid for it.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-23-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2017 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff
RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a '73 with the 360.

Loved the AMX version but by then I was married with children sooooooooooooooo...............

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2017 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:
I had a '73 with the 360.
Loved the AMX version but by then I was married with children sooooooooooooooo...............

Nice, yeah, I understand.

Here a video the AMX owner sent me

And a few more photos

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-21-2017).]

CoolBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2017 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just figured out how the underneath photo was taken, the garage has a pit. This photo was taken during the tear down.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 11-21-2017).]

davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2017 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice car! Cant imagine there are many AMXs in that part of the world. Thanks for the detailed post with pics.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2017 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like he did a good job on it.
Kind of jealous of that pit...
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2017 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great read. Thank you.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never seen one of those before and didnt know it existed.

This is an AMX as far as im concerned, great little 2 seat car with 390 v8.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.co...he-week-1968-amc-amx

Javelin then came out with an AMX model which killed the flavor, and I thought the name went with its death. I got into a discussion with a guy at a car show last year when I said the AMX was a 2 seater. He said I was wrong that his buddy had an AMX with a back seat. I told him that wasnt a AMX, but a Javelin AMX...totally different animal. Its like saying a Corvette is the same as a Chevrolet.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2017 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

This is an AMX as far as im concerned, great little 2 seat car with 390 v8.

Car of the Week: 1968 AMC AMX

Yep, to old farts like us... that is an AMX.
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2017 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yep, to old farts like us... that is an AMX.

My uncle had a nice one like Roger linked to. A cider block building got blown over on it
PFF
System Bot
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2018 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LitebulbwithaFiero:

Looks like he did a good job on it.
Kind of jealous of that pit...

I have one and love it!!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2018 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love that fat tire look.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock