Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Other Cars
  Are Sterling kit cars still around? Seen any lately? Just curious.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are Sterling kit cars still around? Seen any lately? Just curious. by Cheever3000
Started on: 06-25-2014 10:16 PM
Replies: 18 (582 views)
Last post by: Cheever3000 on 08-04-2014 05:48 PM
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to want one so bad. Decades ago, I sent off for info, and I still have the packet I got back in the mail. I once worked with a guy who said he once bought a turnkey, but on the highway it overheated and burnt to the ground. He showed me pics of what was left and it wasn't much.

I've never actually seen one in person, but for a long time they were in pics of the various car shows and gatherings. Haven't seen even that much of them in so long I was just wondering if there are any left.

Seems like there was another name for them, or a slightly different variation, but I can't recall what it was.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 06-25-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2014 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saw one for sale years ago on the side of the road around Grayling MI, thought it was a customized C3 Corvette until I looked it up.

There's a new version:

http://www.sterlingsportscars.com/
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen ONE in all my years and with me knowing what it was. It was an original Sterling kit body on a VW chassis that did run and drive. It was fairly rough, but the guy that had it pretty much admitted he got it for next to nothing. He also had an Aztec 7 kit car that he was having some serious issues with and I don't think ever got it off the ground, so to speak.

It's also called 'Nova', which is what some of the other interpretations of it's build are called. Both the Sterling and the Nova are around in various forms, and as the link above shows it's still (relatively) easy to get into one.

A few years back one appeared on eBay that had been fitted to a Fiero GT chassis. Basically the space frame was cut up like a roadster, support bracing added, and the Sterling body fitted over it. I remember the biggest issue was the front - the nose on the Sterling dives so far downward that the owner couldn't properly fit the hood to clear the components up front. It was a swiss-cheesed chassis for sure.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2014 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow that one in the second link is super nice. And that's a really good price for it.

I also love that the person selling the car happened to film some one getting pulled over by the police.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Username "Brastic" has one and is Suburu Boxer powered. Why don't you send him a PM? He has been away from the club for a while now to spend more time with his kids so I'm not sure he will see your PM.
Kit
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not a Sterling, but I have a Kelmark GT. It's sitting on an 84 Fiero frame. Nice thing about that is having a heater that works, and AC.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Not a Sterling, but I have a Kelmark GT. It's sitting on an 84 Fiero frame. Nice thing about that is having a heater that works, and AC.

Cool, when I am down that way I would like to stop in and see that!
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem, just let me know when you get down this way. I also live 2 blocks from the Bay City fireworks, if your in the area.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Very cool. Would love to see pics!

Anybody with any kit - feel free to post pics in this thread, by all means. Even works in process.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing an Aztec kit years ago and how the body shook at idle. When I was younger I didn't give a second thought to how flimsy they were but now that I'm an old fart I worry about having no crash protection. Some of them do look cool though.
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've tried everything to post pics here, did manage to get 1 posted once but haven't been able to since. Just gave up trying. [url=http://kelmarkgt.invalid_domain_due_to_malware/index.php][/url] if the link works I have lots of pics here. Nope guess that's blocked here.

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 07-01-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've tried everything to post pics here...

Use PIP.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried pip, that didn't even attempt to work. I did manage to get a picture to post once from another site, but that no longer works here.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds like you need to polish your image posting skills.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll see if I can get some pics to post when I get some new pics. I had to do a lot of glass work to the front end, when I realized why the front didn't look right. The idiot PO had wacked 7" off the front fender corners along with the air dam.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Bradley GT II that I built back in the 80's. Dual port heads, 92mm pistons, high lift cam, twin Delorto carbs, headers. About 110 hp. That was the standard engine we put in most of our kit cars, except for the MG TD's. The Kelmark GT was actually a pretty good car except that the doors were so heavy they tended to sag and unless you had the body support brace in the rear, the rear would eventually sag, too.

My Bradley:

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 07-30-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a very well done in black at a local car show a few years ago,ill try to hunt down the pics.
it sorta looked like a skinny lamborghini

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 08-04-2014).]

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

There was a very well done in black at a local car show a few years ago,ill try to hunt down the pics.
it sorta looked like a skinny lamborghini

A skinny ghini?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock