AWD EV 900 HP Fiero Dream by engine man
Started on: 07-29-2022 01:48 PM
Replies: 7 (485 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 08-09-2022 03:48 PM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well since I have been out of my fiero for about a 6 months now i am starting to get the itch again but this time is to build a AWD Electric fiero using Tesla drive motors like Tesla does on it's model s plaid that they say is 1020 HP . I would do it in the same way they have it 2 motors in back and one motor driving the front wheels as it seems you can buy the motors with differential for cheap money on Ebay, but where i think the big money that needs to be spent will be the controller/ecu and batteries . The Plaid go's 0-60 in 1.99 seconds and is a 4 door car and it has a top speed of 200 mph .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would your use case be for drag or track? Im thinking you will have to tub out the rear to get wide enough tires to hook up. The Plaid is 4,766 lbs Im not sure how much weight you would add to the 2,789lb Fiero minus engine and trans cooling fuel tank you would be at what 2100? Then you add back the front diff and motor and the two rear motors plus a battery pack and the controller electronics. I think the tesla 85 kWh battery pack weighs 1,200 lbs so that would put you up at 3300lbs if you decided to use that. I cant remember but I want to say 3300 was the GVWR for the stock Fiero? The Ogre will correct me in a moment. So you will need to probably stiffen the chassis and suspension and use better rated tires and some bigger brakes probably have to use tesla brakes anyway and hopefully you get some regen with the motors?

just some random ramblings
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The people who have done this average about 100 miles per charge. That's with batteries stuffed in the engine bay and the front trunk. You'd get better range from an electric golf cart.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its surprisingly easy to do if you are willing to spend the money on a battery and the drive units. Beyond that the biggest issue with a fiero swap is fitting the battery somewhere in the cab and the basically 5 inch wider track width the tesla has.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The people who have done this average about 100 miles per charge. That's with batteries stuffed in the engine bay and the front trunk. You'd get better range from an electric golf cart.

If you are using modern batteries you'll do alot better, but it is a matter of actually fitting the batteries in the car somewhere.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply's and info and yes I do want the regen as i do want to be able to drive daily and understand it will not be a long trip car but i do want to be able to go to the track and have fun and drive back home and she needs to do both drag and road course and i feel you can have both with awd
Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2022 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought it would be cool to do a high hp gas motor in the rear and an electric motor in the front like how the eray is being setup, that way you can get the awd launch and then the gas motor takes over for the top end. It would need a lot fewer batteries that way and you could set it up to be able to run on the electric motor only if you wanted to for short drives
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2022 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula:
I always thought it would be cool to do a high hp gas motor in the rear and an electric motor in the front like how the eray is being setup, that way you can get the awd launch and then the gas motor takes over for the top end. It would need a lot fewer batteries that way and you could set it up to be able to run on the electric motor only if you wanted to for short drives

Not exactly a high hp engine in the rear, but definitely a hybrid with electric front drive unit.
https://grassrootsmotorspor...lectric-hybrid-fier/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock