Engine Swap Questions by willyt
Started on: 07-20-2022 07:21 PM
Replies: 11 (349 views)
Last post by: Xenoblast on 07-30-2022 05:17 PM
willyt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2022 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is talked about a lot, but I wasn’t able to find a post with all of the details I need.

I’m looking for the cheapest, easiest, reliable way to make 250hp with a manual transmission.

I would be doing all of the labor myself.

Thank you!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by willyt:

I’m looking for the cheapest, easiest, reliable way...

You're going to have to settle for two of the three.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could start with a 3800 SC with close to that as stock HP. I think they're about 240 hp stock. That would be the easiest way to get to 250 HP. As Patrick said, the other two options may not fit your needs. There is a lot of support for that power train. It's definitely a reliable engine.
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3900 lz9 is another good option. 240 ish stock as well. With cheap mods 250 can easily be made. Just not a lot of support with those swaps but you are starting to see more and more.
willyt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for willytSend a Private Message to willytEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

You could start with a 3800 SC with close to that as stock HP. I think they're about 240 hp stock. That would be the easiest way to get to 250 HP. As Patrick said, the other two options may not fit your needs. There is a lot of support for that power train. It's definitely a reliable engine.

It sounds like the ECM needs to be reprogrammed if going with a manual transmission. Are there still people around here that do that?
Awalker W02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Awalker W02Send a Private Message to Awalker W02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It sounds like the ECM needs to be reprogrammed if going with a manual transmission. Are there still people around here that do that?

If you are tec savy you should look into Microsquirt. It’s a stand alone ecm. Not to expensive but it takes some work. I have it in mine and I know quite a few others who have it as well.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sinister Performance aka GM Tuners does that. The pinout conversion tables are also available on his website. http://www.gmtuners.com/

marc-alan

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2022 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marc-alanSend a Private Message to marc-alanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2nd for micro or megasquirt
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2022 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ryan Gick at Sinister Performance is the man to have reprogram your GM PCM or ECU.
I have used his services for years on more projects than I can count.

Aftermarket management systems are ok if you have a good understanding of engine tuning, but DIY tunes can also destroy an engine or suffer driveability issues.
Experience is key to a successful tune.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2022 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Aftermarket management systems are ok if you have a good understanding of engine tuning, but DIY tunes can also destroy an engine or suffer driveability issues.
Experience is key to a successful tune.

I think it's a big of a chicken-or-egg thing.

At some point, if you want to gain experience, you need to take some risks.

I messed around with tuning the stock engine on my Fiero (that I didn't mind blowing up) to get some practice before tuning a rebuilt/modified engine.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2022 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know this is talked about a lot, but I wasn’t able to find a post with all of the details I need.

I’m looking for the cheapest, easiest, reliable way to make 250hp with a manual transmission.

I would be doing all of the labor myself.

Thank you!

this will do the trick with just a tune from Ryan at Sinister Perf. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/078635.html

Let me know.

Rob
PFF
System Bot
Xenoblast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2022 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XenoblastSend a Private Message to XenoblastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could look into doing an LQ1 swap, with an exhaust, intake, and timing adjustment I think it would probably make 230-250 hp (215 stock), it bolts right up to the stock mounts (as long as you have a v6 in the car stock), but you would have to fabricate a new dogbone. The stock getrag 282 transmission bolts right up to it. You would have to take an earlier year automatic ECU and do some modifications to it for it to work with manual.

A write up on the swap:
http://www.gmtuners.com/Cus....4DOHCFiero/swap.htm

[This message has been edited by Xenoblast (edited 07-30-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock