Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Lets see your low rise headlight buckets!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Lets see your low rise headlight buckets! by longjonsilver
Started on: 07-11-2022 03:19 PM
Replies: 9 (293 views)
Last post by: theogre on 07-25-2022 12:57 PM
longjonsilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2022 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i really admire those low rise headlight buckets. Lets see pics of yours with your headlights installed.

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2022 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mine came from Projector Retrofit. No longer in production, which is too bad. They're nice pieces.

I have another set from Danyel for my other car, that haven't been installed yet. Danyel sold that portion of his business to Sluppy123, I believe.
longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Mine came from Projector Retrofit. No longer in production, which is too bad. They're nice pieces.
The lights or the low rise kit? How hard was it to install the lights?

Originally posted by Raydar:
I have another set from Danyel for my other car, that haven't been installed yet. Danyel sold that portion of his business to Sluppy123, I believe.

i have a PM into Sluppy but haven't heard back from him. Its been like 6 weeks

jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a thread on a DIY low profile headlight that uses 4 x 6 H4 headlights. I did this on my Mera a few years ago and it works great and has held up good.
It took a bit of work but was well worth the effort. I used a pair of Hella H4 bulbs with 60/55 halogen bulbs, they light up the night.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085387.html

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 07-12-2022).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by longjonsilver:

The lights or the low rise kit? How hard was it to install the lights?

He sent them all in the same box as a "system", IIRC.

The Hellas were not too difficult to install. Just a few screws. Think I had to make a minor mod to the left side bucket, because it scraped the opening in the hood, as it opened and closed. Not a big deal.

He also sent some special high beam lamps. I forget what was "special" about them, but they tend to feed off their own energy, and are brighter than normal lamps of the same wattage. Think they're called "infrared halogen" or something like that.

The buckets themselves were easy to install. They install just like stock buckets. There was an additional harness (Danyel's lights included a harness too) that had to be installed, due to the current demands of the multiple halogen lamps.
Someone who is handy can probably install the whole thing in an afternoon. It helped that I have a front-mounted battery.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most "low rise" HL have problems...
For a start they remove "bearing points" where lift force the door open and that damages the HL lift and door.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Most "low rise" HL have problems...
For a start they remove "bearing points" where lift force the door open and that damages the HL lift and door.

You have a good point here.

I remember I installed a plastic guard on the front edge and just took a look at the situation:

However it does nothing when the door is lifted.

Here now I can see the original "bearing" plates on the door, the buckets don't use them at all:

The bucket edges push up outside of the door's bracket. Thin metal edge pushing into flat plastic is indeed not good.

I think I will have to add some sort of plastic guard to the bucket top sides and some flat reenforcement under the doors where it slides.
(Then add headlight grease lol)
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2022 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are my 90mm

As seen on my install post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/145197.html
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2022 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How did you attach the plastic piece that goes under the bucket to fill up the space? Glue or screw?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2022 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:
You have a good point here.

I remember I installed a plastic guard on the front edge and just took a look at the situation:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

However it does nothing when the door is lifted.

Here now I can see the original "bearing" plates on the door, the buckets don't use them at all:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

The bucket edges push up outside of the door's bracket. Thin metal edge pushing into flat plastic is indeed not good.

I think I will have to add some sort of plastic guard to the bucket top sides and some flat reenforcement under the doors where it slides.
(Then add headlight grease lol)
Ok idea but likely the "wrong" fix.
Doors have bearing strips for the lift bearing point to load w/o hitting other spots.
OE HL Trim that wraps around the "bucket" has secondary "bearing points" (in blue) that 1 both or none contacts the door that near full open. You see it on right side just right of main "bearing." Left side trim barely touches the door when full open.

You can't take a picture w/ most normal cameras w/o having some parallax problems. I lined up right side to show both points where hits the door. (Hood open, lift part way up.)

HL Trim and Door Strips are likely Polypropylene that act like "Teflon" in this use. Door bottom and lift are glass reinforce plastic of some type. PP does wear but enough "lube power" to wear very slowly in normal operation.

At least you tried. Most do nothing and many wreck the door bottom.
Worse. Many use Fog/Driving lights to replace HL in low lift and other setups and blind everyone and is crap even for the driver. Is why the old "munson no door upgrade" use real sealed beam HL bulbs but still cause many problems and some had to mod or remove that.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock