37 years ago today... by David Hambleton
Started on: 05-05-2021 06:32 PM
Replies: 15 (604 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 05-25-2021 05:46 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up my 84 Fiero SE 4 speed I'd ordered 8 months prior. I was 27.
I wonder how many Fieros are still being driven by their original owner and registered for the road since new...
We're both still working; here's the km so far after today's 23km commute:

(Right side of this family pic... )

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my '85 SE V6- actually ordered it with the V6, manual trans and WS6 suspension thru a car broker and took delivery on May 22, 1985......Since then I have fixed/modified/etc it......The only original body panels are the front fenders, the Suspension/brakes/engine/Trans have been swapped. It has just under 200,000 miles on it (But most of that mileage was 3 miles to NAS Alameda (Work) and back every day from 1985 to 1993 and then 10 miles each way after buying a house)(Also lots of Camping trips; Arizona to Washington and CA to CO)

1985 and 2020 pics......

(And it still has a "loose nut behind the wheel" (But I did fix the dip in the driver's seat)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 05-05-2021).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2021 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

I wonder how many Fieros are still being driven by their original owner and registered for the road since new...

388,000 km! How many times have you rebuilt the engine ??
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2021 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Generous Motors replaced the original engine at 102,000 km in 1987 under the cracked block recall program as it was running like a Stanley Steamer.
The replacement engine & clutch haven't been disturbed since except for normal maintenance.
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2021 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very neat.
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Awesome!

Generous Motors replaced the original engine at 102,000 km in 1987 under the cracked block recall program as it was running like a Stanley Steamer.
The replacement engine & clutch haven't been disturbed since except for normal maintenance.

Amazing!

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 05-07-2021).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Skybax

2384 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by cvxjet:

I bought my '85 SE V6- actually ordered it with the V6, manual trans and WS6 suspension thru a car broker and took delivery on May 22, 1985......Since then I have fixed/modified/etc it......The only original body panels are the front fenders, the Suspension/brakes/engine/Trans have been swapped. It has just under 200,000 miles on it (But most of that mileage was 3 miles to NAS Alameda (Work) and back every day from 1985 to 1993 and then 10 miles each way after buying a house)(Also lots of Camping trips; Arizona to Washington and CA to CO)

1985 and 2020 pics......

Love what you did with it, looks great!

Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wait.. does 'normal maintenance' include replacing the clutch and/or pressure plate? Or have you managed to squeeze 200K+ KM out of a clutch???
Skybax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2021 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

Wait.. does 'normal maintenance' include replacing the clutch and/or pressure plate? Or have you managed to squeeze 200K+ KM out of a clutch???

He got 285km out of the replacement clutch (177k miles)!

longjonsilver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2021 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for longjonsilverClick Here to visit longjonsilver's HomePageSend a Private Message to longjonsilverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i bot my Fiero, Freya, on Dec 10, 1983 at Peracchi Pontiac in Fresno California about 2pm on a Saturday. i still have her and drive her. She now looks like an 85 GT, and i am working on fixing the bugs in my 3800SC swap. There were a cuppla years that i didn't drive her cuz of too many points against me, and things i couldn't fix cuz this forum wasn't invented yet. (Thanks guys for all the help - Ogre, Dodgerunner, OlJoeDad, Jelly 2M8, pmbrunelle, Bloozeberry, and many others). She was and still will be a daily driver. Off to fix some bugs....
jon

------------------
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.

I'm the original owner of a white ' 84 2M4 purchased Dec 10, 1983 from Pontiac. Always garaged, no rust, 3800SC, 4-wheel drifts are fun!

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2021 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You should get a station wagon too and re-create the scene from Ferris Buehler's Day Off (and the Saab or whatever it was his dad drove).

PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2021 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol! I had 4 kids (1986, 1990 & 2 in 1992) so I've had a couple of 're-imagined' station wagons; a 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport and a 2009 Pontiac Montana SV6. NOBODY wants to see pics of those...
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2021 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Trinten:

Recently turned 388,000 km (so 286,000km on the clutch) with no indications of imminent catastrophic clutch failure yet.
I did fix the hydraulics in 2018 as the little 'O' ring was deteriorated and allowing the pressure to dissipate (and the clutch to engage with the pedal depressed).

The clutch was replaced when the engine was; the note on the bill is it was 'oil soaked'. I wondered if the dealer was padding the warranty invoice to GM as I never noticed any issue...

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 05-21-2021).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2021 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 87 GT new and still have it with 160,000+ miles on it.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2021 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol! I had 4 kids (1986, 1990 & 2 in 1992) so I've had a couple of 're-imagined' station wagons; a 1992 Pontiac Trans Sport and a 2009 Pontiac Montana SV6. NOBODY wants to see pics of those...

Hey! I have a 2008 Uplander (Same as the Montana)...Bought brand new........It's Cooooollll.......You mean noone is impresivated when I'm driving by in my mini-van? Shocked....Shocked I tell you! (No, I don't wear a Mumu nor own a soccer ball)
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2021 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Original 2M6 SE owner here. I think I have 45,000 miles.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock