Random tap / bang noise from under right front of car by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 02-07-2021 04:25 PM
Replies: 17 (390 views)
Last post by: Australian on 03-30-2021 04:01 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We took a 350 mile jaunt in our 88 T-top Iron Duke (90k miles, auto, no AC) yesterday. Lots of twisties, low speed technical turns and hairpins, and freeway driving. Near the end of the twisties (about halfway through the trip) we started hearing a random occasional single tap from under the car We pulled into an empty lot a parking lot to to do a visual check and tried driving around try to localize or identify the source but found nothing and could not repeat the sound (typical, right?).

After that it was all quiet for about an hour of freeway driving before the noise returned and progressed to occasional multiple taps and louder bangs, all seemingly random noises coming from under the front right area. I could not connect it to any steering, braking, speed or road condition (although it may have been a bit more frequent on slightly bumpy sections of freeway).

I realize it could be related to almost anything mechanical in that area. Tie rods, ball joints, bushings, bearings, etc. I'm just hoping someone might recognize the issue and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sway bar end link/bushing
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it could be related to following a crazy van driver on mountain roads......

Years ago (OH good grief....40 Years ago) I would have some noise from my first car (72 Comet GT) and go ask my Father to listen and tell me what he thought it was...Only with him in the car, you never heard a ROLLS ROYCE purr so quietly and smoothly..."I don't hear anything, Eric" and so I would drop him off at his house and, as I drove away, think about possibly buying some ear plugs t o protect me from hearing loss from all the LOUD noises coming out of my car!
88 Database Guy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 Database GuyClick Here to visit 88 Database Guy's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88 Database GuyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your brake caliper bolts asap
skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2021 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second sway bar end link. Sometimes those bolts when old can shear. Loud pop then annoying tapping. Also depending on how old the bushings are they could have disintegrated.
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2021 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 had the same symptoms when I got it due to worn tie rods and ball joints. I don't know which one exactly was the culprit or possibly a combination, but after refreshing the suspension with replacement tie rods and ball joints the popping, clanking, clunking noises were gone. Being my first car I drove it like that for several years while in high school thinking that's just how they were. Refreshed the suspension in college, so its been noise free for years now.
AsaBergman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AsaBergmanSend a Private Message to AsaBergmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check to see if your car jack and tire iron are rattling around.
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AsaBergman:

Ohhh!!! I like this one
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AsaBergman:

That was the first thing I checked.

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2021 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

My 88 had the same symptoms when I got it due to worn tie rods and ball joints. I don't know which one exactly was the culprit or possibly a combination, but after refreshing the suspension with replacement tie rods and ball joints the popping, clanking, clunking noises were gone. Being my first car I drove it like that for several years while in high school thinking that's just how they were. Refreshed the suspension in college, so its been noise free for years now.

My lower ball joint made a similar noise. Would be fine, then clunk around so bad I thought the caliper had come loose. After replacing the ball joint, noise went away.

I'd check all of the joints for play, and make sure they're greased.
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2021 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Sway bar end link/bushing

beat me to it.

Had to check these on the rear, had the same issue.

Fiero store finally got them back in stock for my 88gt and will be arriving soon
PFF
System Bot
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today was my first chance to inspect the front end. I removed the front right wheel and did a visual check of those things mentioned and saw nothing obvious to my amateur eye. What I did find was that with the front end off the ground the front right wheel has some slight movement when pushing and pulling the wheel back and forth from the sides and also from the top and bottom. There was also an audible tapping sound when doing this.

I'm guessing this is indicating both the ball joints and tie rod ends need replacing?
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That may be your wheel bearings....Try tightening the nut a bit and see if that takes out the looseness.

My original factory ball joints were tight still when I replaced them at 180,000 mile (The boots were torn so that was why I replaced them)
skywurz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

That may be your wheel bearings....Try tightening the nut a bit and see if that takes out the looseness.

My original factory ball joints were tight still when I replaced them at 180,000 mile (The boots were torn so that was why I replaced them)

88 doesn't use that kind of bearing. It still could be bearing. Remove the front caliper and rotors and inspect the play on the bearing unit.

[This message has been edited by skywurz (edited 02-14-2021).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2021 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

88 doesn't use that kind of bearing. It still could be bearing. Remove the front caliper and rotors and inspect the play on the bearing unit.

Crap!! I was asleep at the switch! I even drove with him on that drive and KNEW it was an 88......(Thanks for catching that Skywurz!)
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2021 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I already had her all buttoned up before your suggestion but I will be sure to check it out the next chance I get.

Thanks to all. I'll keep you updated as things develop.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2021 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to this again last weekend. There did seem to be some play in the hub so I swapped it with one from a Formula that we are parting out. After about 75 miles since then the problem seems to be gone. I'm hoping that's the last I see of that gremlin for a while but if it happens again I will have learned how to deal with it.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2021 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least the noise was from the front so you eiminate motor first thought.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock