original water pumps by 88 fieroGT
Started on: 12-02-2016 03:12 PM
Replies: 4 (303 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-03-2016 03:59 PM
88 fieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2016 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88 fieroGTSend a Private Message to 88 fieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How many miles have you seen on original water pumps? Mine has 93k.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In most cases, Miles doesn't mater.

Most pumps I've replaced go bad because old and/or weak coolant fails to protect the seal. Part of coolant additives are lube and plasticizers for the seal. (Plasticizer keep it soft etc.)
Many people think using 50/50 premix after flushing is good but guaranties weak coolant because engine and other places hold plane water.

Bad Bearing for alt, WP, and others is often cause by people over tightening the belt(s). That can kill them very fast or wait a few month to couple years depending how tight.
Is why most OE Serpent belt setups use a spring tensioner. Keep belt tight all the time but won't wreck WP etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure you get a quality replacement. Bad pumps have a simple press fit plastic impeller that loosens up from age and heat. It wont leak and the pump looks like its turning ok...but...the impeller is just spinning loose inside and not pumping much coolant. Ill bet this is a lot of causes of engine overheating that people never consider.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never, ever use a water pump with a plastic impeller; The plastic impeller is in direct contact with the hot water, while the steel shaft is not...The plastic is more thermally active(Expands faster) than the shaft, so it expands and freewheels while the shaft continues to spin as if the pump was working.

My car would overheat at the same place on the freeway going to work(3 times)...First I removed the T-Stat, which lessened the drag on the impeller.....Once I figured out what was wrong, i installed a new, steel-impellered pump- No problems since.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2016 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88 fieroGT:

How many miles have you seen on original water pumps?

If it turns out you need to replace yours, lots of info in This thread from when I replaced the water pump in my '88 Formula.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock