Started on: 09-19-2016 05:20 PM
Replies: 37 (932 views)
Last post by: Jake_Dragon on 02-07-2017 09:45 PM
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 SE
So this is my car thread.
Thought I would start one and try to keep up with the refresh of the car.
So little background.
I purchased the car locally here in Fort Wayne. The guy that I purchased it from got it when his dad passed away unexpectedly from cancer.
His father got the car with the intention of fixing it up a little at a time and having a nice DD
That is my intention as well.

So this is the car I have been looking for. Very few options. No power windows, mirrors, cruise control or sub.
Its a 4 speed 2.8 with 89000 miles on it. The car is 99% rust free. sheet metal all looks solid.
The interior is 7 out of 10, it has the normal warping of the rubber parts but every Fiero I have owned had the same issue.
The head liner and seats will need recovered then the interior will be 9 out of 10 Those are the first things on my list once I get it safe and trust it.
The dash is crack free and in really nice shape. The only think I would have liked better if it was a dark color.
But the tan interior will go well with the color I am thinking about. I saw a Carmel Perl paint job and I have wanted one ever since
Will replace the sail panel inserts and dew wipes when I paint the car.
The exterior has a lot of paint fade and there are a couple spots that will need fixed. I would put it at 7 out of 10
The heat works great but the AC doesn't. I can hear it try to kick the compressor on so it may just be low but most likely the compressor is bad.
30 years old I didn't expect it to work.
One of the head lights will not go up or down, I have a relay coming in the mail to see if that is the issue as well as a rebuild kit. The other light has been rebuilt already and works just fine.
The passenger tail light is cracked and I have a lead on a replacement.
The fan wont come on with the AC or when it gets hot, I jumped the wires at the relay and the fan came on so I have a relay coming in the mail.
The brakes are ok but eventually I will do an upgrade.
The 2.8 runs great, no smoke or noise no puddles under the car and its probably the cleanest stock Fiero engine compartment I have ever owned.
I don't plan on doing anything with the engine at this point. I may get the intake and valve covers redone but that's about it.
The wheels and tires are not stock and I am not in love with them so I will be upgrading them at some point.
Parking brake works as well as the lighter (that's why I go the car )

So that's the introduction I hope that I can keep this going and have a nice car when its all done.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
busa_powered

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know you could post a pic and save all of that typing! :P

Good luck with your Fiero
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You forgot to mention the flipped over horn button.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2016 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You forgot to mention the flipped over horn button.

lol So I did
Phase 2 replace the horn button
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Insurance has been paid for 6 months, I hope to have the tag in the next couple of days.
The fan relay should be here today or tomorrow, if not I will wire the fan to run so I can take it for a drive this weekend.

To add to the story. When I looked at the car he also showed me a couple books. One was a Haynes manual and the other was a Factory service manual for the car.
That's great!! I have all of the information I need at my finger tips. He also had maintenance records from his father that I will document in the next couple of posts as I start working on the car.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Temporary tag is on the car The title and tag should be here in about 10 days
The relay for the fan is working fine It's not coming on when I turn AC on I don't know if it'll come on if the car gets warmer not
I did hotwire the fan so that I can take it for a ride It needs tires but they are holding air for now
I'm gonna add a radiator fan to the list of things to replace but only because it's a 30-year-old car The fan works but it is very noisy
A new more efficient motor will fix that looking at a new 16 inch Fan upgrade

The new relay did not fix the headlight I will pull the motor and rebuild it

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 09-22-2016).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I started to look for tires. Think I will just get tires this time and do rims and tires later once I have everything stable and running.
Just under $500 balanced and out the door for 15/215/60 all season
Will call after work and see if they can hook me up tomorrow morning.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jake_Dragon

32846 posts
Member since Jan 2001
So no one can locate any 14 inch tires
I guess I will start looking for some larger rims and tires sooner than expected

The tires are not falling apart or anything but I don't want to trust them for a long trips or the 30 minute drive one way to work
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yuck...14". Go with bigger rims. Not sure how far it will throw your Speedo though.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Yuck...14". Go with bigger rims. Not sure how far it will throw your Speedo though.

My plan was always to go with bigger rims just not this soon LOL
16 Just have to watch the sidewall and not get the speedometer to far off

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 09-23-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hear is a tire conversion chart for when changing from 14" to 15, 16, 17 ect. to keep you speedo the same. Hit the tire plus sizing tab in the left column

https://tiresize.com/converter/
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Hear is a tire conversion chart for when changing from 14" to 15, 16, 17 ect. to keep you speedo the same. Hit the tire plus sizing tab in the left column

https://tiresize.com/converter/

Thank you I will probably go with the same tire I had on my GT
I appreciate the link
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2016 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should really post some pics. I know I would like to see it !
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will post more when I get a chance
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2016 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't find tires yet but I got a couple leads

Tag and title came in the mail today!!

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 10-01-2016).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2016 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New fan switch from Rodney is installed and my fan is working fine.
Its still noisy and needs replaced

195° on and 185° off worked perfect
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2016 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

New fan switch from Rodney is installed and my fan is working fine.
Its still noisy and needs replaced

195° on and 185° off worked perfect

open fan motor and put a dab of wheel bearing grease in the shaft bushings..
run for another 30 years
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2016 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

I will post more when I get a chance

Arnt those 15" wheels not 14"

nice toy..
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2016 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fan is warped so its noisy because its not balanced anymore. Plus its 30 years old technology, a new puller fan will fix this.
The tires and rims are 14 they are nice and wide if they were not dry and rotting I would keep them.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I found some 16 inch rims and tires on craigs list. Big difference but they are low profile and I will need to fix the shocks on the car

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 10-10-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drove into work this morning and the check light came on.
Good oil pressure, running a little on the cool side but other than that it seems to be running fine.
I notice that the Volt meter is high but have not checked it with my meter yet.

Will pull the codes when I get home.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drove into work this morning and the check light came on.
Good oil pressure, running a little on the cool side but other than that it seems to be running fine.
I notice that the Volt meter is high but have not checked it with my meter yet.

Will pull the codes when I get home.

Running cool....is it running a bit rich? If you pull a code 13, I think I'll know why.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2016 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Running cool....is it running a bit rich? If you pull a code 13, I think I'll know why.

Not home yet. Its staying around 180 on the gage.
I assume after 30 years that most of the sensors could be on the way out.
The fan switch was bad so I replaced it with one from Rodney and also replaced the thermostat but I kept the old one because it looked new.
The current one is a 180 so its doing what I expected. No light at lunch.
kendallville

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good with the rims , but I know what you mean about the shocks when you get old the ride is important .
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2016 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kendallville:

Looks good with the rims , but I know what you mean about the shocks when you get old the ride is important .

And the roads in Indiana truly do suck
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you had a chance to pull the codes yet Jake?
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haven't felt well so no I haven't. But I found that the line to the EGR solenoid was not hooked up. I hooked it back up and no more light.
Its not the vacuum line its the fresh air line. Odd I don't know if that did it or it was a coincidence
Normally that line decays and it is fine unhooked but seems to be an issue with this car.

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2016 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So its been a week and no more codes. Perhaps it was just because the car had sat for so long.

The radio is going out of it so that is as good as an excuse as I need to upgrade. Just need to fix the door locks first
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the mounts for the cooling tube mounts are going to need replaced.
Fierostore.com has replacements

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 10-25-2016).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jake_Dragon

32846 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Well first break down.
Wire from battery to distribution box came loose
Was able to zip tie it till I got home and could fix it correctly.
PFF
System Bot
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2016 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So just over a thousand miles and the car is doing great
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I pulled the codes
32 EGR Vacuum
35 Idle speed error
Will check the IAC but the car is running great and idles fine.
It does take a while for the idle to set but then its right at 800 rpms. Will run some fuel cleaner and see if that helps.
But as its not running lean I am not going to stress it.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks like the mounts for the cooling tube mounts are going to need replaced.
Fierostore.com has replacements

Seems like one of the 1st things to corrode on Fieros, unless the battery leaks.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2016 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Seems like one of the 1st things to corrode on Fieros, unless the battery leaks.

Yep They are not falling apart just look bad. Junk metal.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2016 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a broken vacuum line to the EGR solenoid.
Light hasn't came back after fixing it

My transmission doesn't like to be down shifted to second or go into second if I run the RPMs up past 4000 in first gear.
I can deal with it and will put in new oil this spring to see if it will help.
But I expect the only cure would be to have the trans rebuilt or replace it.

I have been considering an engine swap. So I wont be putting a lot of money into a transmission right now.

[This message has been edited by Jake_Dragon (edited 11-22-2016).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2017 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The alternator quit on me the other day. I have a new one but the top bolt is frozen and the head broke off.
I have a new bracket on the way from the Fiero store and should be back on the road by the end of next week.
I also ordered a new clutch pedal as mine the pedal part came off

I love these cars but its getting to be too much to keep up with right now so I have decided to put it up for sale

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/075058.html

My hope is to get it into the hands of someone that can take the time and make it a nice car again. I just don't have the time or place to do that.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2017 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New alternator is installed. New bracket from the FieroStore installed.
Its nice not being greeted by the alt light every time I start the car and no belt squeal.

I still have to install the clutch peddle but that should be a quick job. Oh yea I said it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock