Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Danyel's 88 Formula Automoda Convertible Worklog (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Danyel's 88 Formula Automoda Convertible Worklog by Danyel
Started on: 06-16-2016 09:54 PM
Replies: 96 (4511 views)
Last post by: Danyel on 01-15-2024 08:16 PM
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was not very happy with the title of my "Forever" thread and it was too late to change it so after deleting the contents of the first one I started this new thread .... here it is ... Danyel's 88 Formula Automoda Convertible Worklog
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As many of you now know I am the new owner of a Yellow 88 Formula Automoda, I have been pursuing a dream of owning a convertible since I saw the RED OEM convertible at the 25th. I had been searching for an Automoda Top for many years so I could install it on my 87 Burgundy GT. This search ended a couple months back as I was resigned to do without a Automoda top and do a homebrew.. I found a Formula Automoda requiring ALOT of repairs ... This Fiero is now in my garage and I started making a list of the things to do and things to come. I will not be changing the color of this fiero for now but there will be some mods and alot of repairs and money invested...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

V8Archie out on a test ride after installing the Automoda Top

Archie’s helpers

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

My list of things to do and what needs to be done is below ... I have already completed some simple esthetic work but will be more extensive this winter .. getting her ready for the 2016 season !! So stay tuned here is where her new adventure begins for me ... I will post many pics as I go along ...

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 01-02-2021).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
The ToDo list Will change as these things get done ...

01. Clutch is not disengaging. (Replace the master cylinder)
02. Lower driver door molding piece missing (Replaced)
03. Rear coilovers for wider rear tires 18s (Done)
04. Spyn Wheels (225/40R18 Front & 255/35R18 Rear) (Done)
05. Side markers broken and brittle (Replaced)
06. Center console Armrest has a big tear (Replaced)
07. Passenger side door striker door doesn't open (Done)
08. Winshield will need to be replaced (Done)
09. Power Mirrors (Done)
10. Power Door locks with Remote
11. Interior Driver Door Covers to match G1 dash (for PM and PDL) (Done)
12. Convertible Roof Fasteners and Lock pins repaired (Done)
13. Convertible Top Recover (Done)
14. Replace A and B pillar covers broken tabs (Modify their attachements and caps) (Done)
15. Replace seat levers (Done)
16. Seat Covers (Mr. Mikes) (in Progress)
17. 13 inch Big Brakes (Done)
18. Big brake booster (in Progress)
19. Repair Performance Sound Overhead switch (Done)
20. LED Interior Lighting (Done)
21. Install Fiero Logo Projectors
22. Remove Front Sunroof Glass Holder (Removed the 2 lips)
23. Front wiring harness needs replaced (Done)
24. Headlight Door Module needs replaced (Done)
25. Low Profile 60mm Hella Headlights (Done)
26. Upgrade to GT Steering Wheel (Dont like paddles) (Done)
27. Mecham Side scoops (Done)
28. Rear Hood Extractor (79 Mustang) (Done)
29. Antenna Delete
30. Front hood Extractor
31. Automoda logo door sills
32. Fit the overhead convertible roof faceplate
33. Stainless Steel Brake hoses (Done)
34. Engine compartement change to square D plates for Automoda cover
35. Rear link kit (Done)
36. Replace the Shift and Select cables (Done)
37. Fabricate LED DRL (in Progress)
38. Install the Door and Trunk lock remote.
39. Replace windshield washer tank (Broken Tabs) (Done)
40. Upgrade dash to Amida’s G1 (Done)
41. Power mirror switch ..update to newer model (in Progress)
42. New Fierostore Clutch ( 9.75" HD Clutch Kit) (Done)
43. Din2 Apple Car Play Radio (Done)
44. New Front Badge (Done)
45. New recoverd GT steering wheel (Done)
46. Checked and Redone all the needed wiring (Done)

More will be added as this thread goes on........ thanks for watching (Updated 01 Jan. 2021)

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 01-02-2021).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here are pics as she is now with some of the above list completed ... during the winter you will see the transformation. Parick has also supplied a spare set of rear fenders..... more later

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Here is a pic in my garage a while back.... before the disassembly of the Black Widow and the TO BE 87 GT Convertible ... these are now in parts ready to be sold. The Widow frame will be sent to the crusher as rust has completely taken over .... sad to see her go she was a Blast to have and drive ... as for the red GT many fiero members out here need parts she will also serve as a parts car to my Formula ....

Winter has arrived and I have been away on business and now just got back from a long deserved vacation 2 weeks in the Caribbeans. " The Vert '' is sleeping in the garage amd soon I will be starting here power upgrades (PDL, PM) and swap in new front harness and module. Still on vacation this week so my priority is mailing out all sold items.. thanks to the patient buyers. I've also been working on a special project on my off time so without starting a new thread I will include it here in this one.. First up the pics of the VERT under her sleeping blanket and the Widow too under covers being parted out.

And now for my special project....

I bought 3 of these New Bright Red Fieros and also have 5 IMSA models (1 White, 1 Red, 3 Greys) and also a TRAXXAS GTP Fiero.

So here goes my offf time project .... here is the car that will be modified .... these are really detailed and making it my VERT replica will take alot of time and patience

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Disassembly next ...

Disassembly has started ... lots of parts and many mods will be needed .... I ordered new parts like new wheels and replica disk brakes ...

The carnage has started ... measurements and careful drawing needed here ... let the cutting begin ...

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Last post but more work to come .... finally my wheels came in they look close to my VERT's Spyn EVO Spyder wheels .... tons of body work and paint to come ...

later this week more updates .....

Got some more parts for the "Vert" now waiting on some adapters for the 13 inch brakes .... more soon

Just finished up doing my VERT binder ... I will contain all the pics, literature, and info on my VERT .... let me kn ow what ya think

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
So now today on 16th of June let me bring you all up to speed ... I completed many upgrades. I will start with my big brakes and with the help of my american friend and also a great person from Ontario, which he has also been helping out getting my 60mm Low Profile Bucket projet off the ground !!! More on that later in a sale thread ..... so here is the my Vert with 13inch brake disks ....

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-02-2017).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
While doing the Big Brake upgrade I also had to change some parts (while I was there) The rear link kit had completely desintegrated ... all this done before 13in brake swap.

I also replaced ALL my brake lines with SS braided hoses ...

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 12-05-2017).]

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Another quick mod .... had to put my "welding course" to use .... new TIPs .... I REALLY did not like the original ones ....

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
Been working at home on rainy days my Performance Sound Overhead the one on there had a couple of isues ... but was a GOOD model so I could make a new one ....

PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2016 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
And also been modifying a headliner to finish up theupper windshield area .....

more to come in the next couple of days .... been very busy busy

Lunatic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great looking car Danyel.

I didn't see an engine swap on that to do list. I take it you're going to keep this drivetrain stock? Either way, I'm glad you're enjoying new acquisition.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lunatic:

Great looking car Danyel.

I didn't see an engine swap on that to do list. I take it you're going to keep this drivetrain stock? Either way, I'm glad you're enjoying new acquisition.

Hello
Yes an engine swap is not in the list because the engine is new PO (Patrick) put in a new crate engine in.not that long agos... so that will not happen for a long while.... my vert has had an underside protection treatement last week this will keep the rust away forever... I'm presently finishing up the Overhead liner that is over the sunshades and mirror... my ToDo list will always grow as time goes on.... I am presently working on plans for a retracting roof trailer for our RV. It needs to be able to lower and hold all my tools and have a car lift intergrated into the structure. Will post pics soon on that... Anyways more pics soon THX

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My God man, do you own every piece of Fiero memorabilia? Judging by what I seen, you should put ropes up from room-to-room in your house, like they do in museum's, and charge people admission to look at all the cool stuff!
Just kidding. Enjoy your new ride and keep the pics coming.

[This message has been edited by Lunatic (edited 06-18-2016).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool thread. I'm digging the personal touches you're adding.
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2016 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good, Danyel!

Nice to see new pics of the ol' girl.

Happy to see you like each other!

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow - SOLD 9/5/2015 //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070673.html
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone' - now enjoyed by my older brother in memory of Dad

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any new updates, Danyel?

------------------

repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow - SOLD 9/5/2015 //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/070673.html
1988 Fiero 4-cyl Coupe - Dad's car, the Indy 'clone' - now enjoyed by my older brother in memory of Dad

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2016 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice looking car Danyel. Keep us updated on this ride.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2003 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2017 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I imagine she's packed away for the winter, but how are things, Danyel?

------------------

[This message has been edited by LZeitgeist (edited 01-09-2017).]

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2017 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2017 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Any updates?

Hello Patrick ..... as soon as I get home from this extended business trip I will post a full update on the old girl... she has come a long way and you will be happy with her progress.....

Danyel
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2017 05:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds great! Safe travels!
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you know of any other automoda tops? I have two of them and I'm feeling greedy because there is a guy with a 355 body that is looking for one but I really don't want to sell at a reasonable price.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2017 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Do you know of any other automoda tops? I have two of them and I'm feeling greedy because there is a guy with a 355 body that is looking for one but I really don't want to sell at a reasonable price.

If you have two of them I personnally would sell one of them to buy me some wanted items for my automoda formula. Its not worth keeping two of them or one as back up. Sell one and spoil yourself with other wanted items.... me I will be getting my top redone ... cost is 4k for a well done job. If I had a second top, selling it would cover the expenses of the recover. You should also calculate the cost of getting one installed you will quickly realise that having two is not financially wise....
up to you though ...
regards
Danyel

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2017 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well one of them is installed on an 84 that I'm trying to get running and the other is for my 355 rebody. I'm not keeping it for a back up.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Danyel, some of the pics have vanished.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Danyel, some of the pics have vanished.

Wow !!! its been a while and a lot of stuff going on... I have been very busy at work and the convertible has been sleeping in the garage. I will update this thread all weekend as I also have been working on the car sporadicly. ... stay tune lots of pics to come
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, good. I'm glad I bumped this thread
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to cut my diagonal frame on the 84 to replace the fuel pump. I would love to see how your frame was done enabling the tank removal without cutting.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The convertible interior is presently being disassembled to do a complete overhaul and upgrades, Power Mirrors, Power locks, and a JBL sound system installed. An iPad 64g mini will be installed out of site with an actuator. I will try man best to keep up with this thread. I am also looking to maybe fit another type of dash ... will see

Getting ready for her interior transformation..

A lot of bagging and tagging going on .....

Bought an almost new skeleton and dash from Fiero2m8. A full rewiring for the sound system, power mirrors, door locks, iPad and DLRs to begin... While there a heavy duty carpet wash in the works. Door panels for the subwoofers also will be going in and a center console redesign. more later ...
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2017 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008

I had to cut my diagonal frame on the 84 to replace the fuel pump. I would love to see how your frame was done enabling the tank removal without cutting.

Will get you underside pics up here soon.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2017 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Setting the bar high, as usual.

Good goals, good work, also as usual. Keep it up!
Rn2016

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2017 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rn2016Send a Private Message to Rn2016Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, nice convertible. Looks really classy.

By the way, I also have one of those large radio controlled Fieros. Mine has a cable to the controller. I had to buy it from the U.S. and paid a lot for shipping to Europe. But I figured it was worth it. It can then help a bit with my Fiero fever until I can import a real one here.
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2017 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Will get you underside pics up here soon.

Thanks, I have a plan but it's always nice to check and see if there might be a better way.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2018 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well its been a VERY long time since I updated this ongoing project. The Automoda is is upgrade mode since winter. The interior is completely stripped as a new dash is heading my way from the states. But I will keep the dash part secret for now. I have also removed the console skeletons as I bought a mint one from a Canadian Fiero owner. I am also doing a cleanup on the speghetti wiring. Cluster and all lighting will all be in LED.

I have removed the quarter panels and will be installing the Mecham scoops as soon as the paint is nice and dry. Below you can see the quarters removed. They were really fixed down with rivets that were really hard to remove.

The manual mirrors have also been removed I will be installing power mirrors.

More updates and pics tomorrow as I continue the work on the Automoda. I have many ideas and decided to go with my 60mm Hellas instead of 4 x 6. LED DRLs are being molded and may be another item I make available. more to come tomorrow ....... stay tuned
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2018 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Thanks, I have a plan but it's always nice to check and see if there might be a better way.

I will post pics tomorrow night as I need to take new ones.... been searching for the originals for a while....

Danyel
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. Looking real good! Whats the vert top from or is it homemade? looks great

shem
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2018 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello my friend!
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2018 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Whats the vert top from or is it homemade?

shem

You know how we know you didn't read the thread?

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock