Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Educate me ! Why does no one want a Notchie? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Educate me ! Why does no one want a Notchie? by robert1234
Started on: 01-01-2016 07:30 PM
Replies: 60 (1097 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 01-06-2016 04:12 AM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 and like them over the GT....just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 01-01-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

I have to and like them over the GT....just my opinion.

The same reason no one wants a 4 or 6 cylinder Firebird.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Say what? Lots of people prefer them over fastbacks.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone has their opinions. To each his own.

I preferred the notch back to the fast back, the Formula is probably my favorite. Only my project direction dictated something different.

Bob

------------------

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/076365-5.html

robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a formula? It's V6

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a formula? It's V6

Is it an '88?

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It really depends on what you want and most people feel the fastback is more sportier looking.

I actually bought (and still have) a complete fastback rear clip for my Pro-Street Fiero untill I realized that the car appears smaller as a notchback and gets more rear wheel downforce with its aero wing than if it were a fastback.

By the way, I've always hated the term "notchie".
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, 1988 white formula V6
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
I hate that term too.......lol
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion, the fastback Fiero looks very sporty BUT a notchback with a widebody kit looks badass.

Not that I'm unhappy with my widebody GT
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 11% of the total Fieros produced were the 'fastback' style; only 26% during the 3 years both styles were available.
So, maybe it's preferred by some as it was less common. People seem to favor similar looking cars in all segments...

I've always preferred the notch back style - I think it's more distinctive.

PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1581 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by css9450:

Is it an '88?

Fiero Formula was exclusively 1988.

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Fiero Formula was exclusively 1988.

Yeah I know. I thought maybe it was the OP who didn't. I half-expected him to say his was an '86 or something.... But sounds like he's good!

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love them both, and I made my own.

Enjoy them all.

Rob
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The truth is they both have their following.

The Fastback tends to be more popular with the average person but there is still a strong following for the coupes.

The Coupes also tend to be a little lighter too and that is why the Formulas were used more often for Autocross in the SCCA back in the day.

The thing is too take off the bodies and they are all just alike anyways so it is just a matter of perception.

To be the GT fastback was nice but since I first saw the PPG Turbo cars the factory car to me looked wrong to me. I love the Coupe tail light with the duck tail deck lid on the PPG cars over the big tail lights. But that is just me. Nothing wrong with either just my preference.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like them both but only in the SE/GT version.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to prefer the fastback, but about 5 or so years ago my preference for the notchie (87-88 style) took the lead. I still have both body styles... but haven't driven the fastback one in over a year... the notchie was driven daily most of the summer. Here is my 88 notchie:

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-03-2016).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the Fiero first cam out in 84, I wanted one. Then in 86 the fastback came out and I fell in love and REALLY wanted one. By 1989 when I bought my first vehicle while I still wanted a Fiero I had gotten into the idea of a lowered mini-truck and customizing it. So many many years with driving and customizing trucks go by and I get married. Eventually the kingcab truck just didn't have the interior seating space needed and I moved on to a 4 door car. At that point in my life, a Fiero just wasn't on my radar anymore and if it had been I wouldn't have gotten it anyway because seating would have been worse than in my truck. Years go by, kids grow, situations change and we were at a point where picking up a car for "play" became doable. So I started thinking about what to get. Many came up on the list and another mini-truck was sitting on that list but I figured nah get something a little different. So I looked at the list and different was there in 2 forms. Fiero and 1st gen. MR2. I decided to go that route and thought up some other possible mid engine 2 seaters that would be ok if I couldn't find either of those. The thing I realized while looking though is the 1st gen MR2 shares what with a Fiero? The notched back look. While I still liked the fastback, I just like the notch back look a lot more. That's not saying I would never get a fastback, just that I prefer the notch back. So really I think it's more personal preference. Some like one others like the other. Add into that, there were most likely more notch backs made than fastbacks and the commonality of the notch back may decrease desire for it a little also. It reminds me of a post on here once where a guy said something to the effect of "Why would anybody EVER buy anything other than a 88 to do a swap in?". Well, because in reality the number of 88's made was less than 10% of total Fiero production. Why fastback? Well, less of them were made. Less common make for more desirable usually.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a notchback fan. I think the best looking Fiero is the '85 GT, but I got a crank window Formula for the transmission and suspension. Who says no one want a Notchie?
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Huge notchback fan here. I've always preferred the notchbacks over the fastbacks. The fastbacks have a heaviness in my opinion. But that's my opinion and I understand why others prefer them over notchbacks.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Educate me ! Why does no one want a Notchie?

I have 2 and like them over the GT....just my opinion.

How do you think I felt when the Fiero crowd snubbed me when they heard I had a 1984 SE?
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notchback styling in general was very popular in the early 80s. But by the late 80s every, and I mean everything was going to the fastback look. Even large sedans got the fastback look, a trend which continues to this day. So even though the fastback look is kind of fake with the flying buttress windows that are not even real windows, it looks more modern.

Generally the notchback is preferred by people that like the retro 80s look. People that want a more modern look prefer the fastback.
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Early 80's there only was a notchback Fiero and the late 80's - early 90's sedans were rolling bricks.

[This message has been edited by Thunderstruck GT (edited 01-01-2016).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2016 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Generally the notchback is preferred by people that like the retro 80s look. People that want a more modern look prefer the fastback.

I can see that. Maybe that's why I like the look of the 3rd gen Camaro in the convertible, no fastback glass.

Or why I like the 240SX coupe over it's much more common fastback.

There are cars I like that are fastbacks and wouldn't mind owning but in general I prefer the flat rear deck. Which is kind of odd because when you start talking commuter cars like Jetta, Civic, Protege and such I prefer the hatchback versions of those. Yes there is no hatchback "Jetta", but for many years in the 80's and 90's the Golf was essentially a Jetta hatchback.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 01-01-2016).]

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notchback styling in general was very popular in the early 80s. But by the late 80s every, and I mean everything was going to the fastback look.

If that is true how do you explain the 1988 Trans Am GTA notchback?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

If that is true how do you explain the 1988 Trans Am GTA notchback?

That was a very low production anomaly that bucked the trend. I remember when it came out I hated it... (still do).

Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a big fan of the coupe...have a fastback conversion just sitting in storage but I just can't seem to change it out. The notchie is growing on me a lot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Educate me ! Why does no one want a Notchie?

Educate us. Why would you make such an ill-informed assumption?
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did not make that assumption. I saw it posted on the forum a few days ago.
That is why I'm asking because I prefer Notch.

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 01-02-2016).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I actually bought (and still have) a complete fastback rear clip for my Pro-Street Fiero untill I realized that the car appears smaller as a notchback and gets more rear wheel downforce with its aero wing than if it were a fastback.

I have heard people claim this, but have not seen any real facts to back it up. Unless you are going well over 150 MPH, there will likely be little to no downforce.. plus the Fiero carries too much weight in the back anyway, so the concern should be downforce in the front, not the rear at fast speeds.... Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that the only additional downforce the spoiler provides on a Fiero is due to its' weight

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had both styles. I started with an 86SE, due to parts availability. I think the notchie lights look better. The fastback lights would be improved if they were full height, rather than half amber and half red. More like the firebird lights of the 90's.

I don't like the notchie angle. It bears more that a passing resemblance to a troublesome boxer dog.

I prefer the aero style, but the non-aero front looks more modern.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was a very low production anomaly that bucked the trend. I remember when it came out I hated it... (still do).

Might add the 88 GTA Notch Back Option only sold in the hundreds. The trend was over by then. In all the years I have only ever saw 3 and it has been years since I saw those. I go to the largest Pontiac meet in the country for over 20 years and never saw one there.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

It really depends on what you want and most people feel the fastback is more sportier looking.

Actually there is no down force for the wing. GM clearly stated this back in the day and it matter little what body there is no down force in the wing.

Now if you want to save a little weight the GT panels do add a little weight to the car. Not much but at 130+ HP ever pound helps.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

I have heard people claim this, but have not seen any real facts to back it up. Unless you are going well over 150 MPH, there will likely be little to no downforce.. plus the Fiero carries too much weight in the back anyway, so the concern should be downforce in the front, not the rear at fast speeds.... Perhaps I am wrong, but I think that the only additional downforce the spoiler provides on a Fiero is due to its' weight

The wing holds not down force no matter the speed. It was a styling element only. There is not even any lip and there is little air coming over the roof too hit it. That is why the GTU cars used the whale tails.

In the winter the snow would sit on it and the only area that would lose snow was the ends from the heat out of the vents.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

LOL!

Mine has a big block Chevy in the front. I think you can figure out where most of my weight is.

And "yes", I do pick up downforce with the wing.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to a lot of trouble to convert a Formula to a FB.
Didn't care that much for the "aero" GT. At least not enough to buy one.

With that said, I'm looking for another 88, for another project.
Would actually prefer a notchback, this time around.

Edit - This was the last coupe I had. Wish I still had it.
(Yes. It started out as a coupe. Not a Formula.)

Originally posted by Khw:

Or why I like the 240SX coupe over it's much more common fastback.

I always thought the 240 SX, as pictured, was a beautiful car. The lines are just... perfect.
The fastback 240 SX? Just another Japanese coupe.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-02-2016).]

Bob2112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bob2112Send a Private Message to Bob2112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Notchback all the way. I never did like the fast back much. Just made the Fiero look like a bunch of other cars to me.

------------------
New Moon Rising - 1988 Black Formula
My Blue Heaven - 1965 Mustang Coupe

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL!

Mine has a big block Chevy in the front. I think you can figure out where most of my weight is.

And "yes", I do pick up downforce with the wing.

Eerrr What wing? You have a spoiler there is a difference.

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Eerrr What wing? You have a spoiler there is a difference.

And what were these called on the Firebird?..........

Aero Wing

I know, my '87 Formula Firebird came with one and that is what it was called.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2016 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did not make that assumption. I saw it posted on the forum a few days ago.

Might've been worthwhile to have mentioned that bit of detail in your opening post.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Educate us. Why would you make such an ill-informed assumption?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock