Posting Photos with Windows 10 by 85fieroguy
Started on: 11-20-2015 08:29 PM
Replies: 46 (805 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 12-03-2015 05:27 PM
85fieroguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tried for 2 hours to post photos from Windows 10 unto Pennocks. Had 2 other computer techs try to help.... P.I.P and Flicker just didn't work. Was able to post photos on Craigs list and Ebay. Any ideas on Pennocks for another attempt? Have noticed that many posted photos on Pennocks will not open, many others do. Seems strange.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:

Have noticed that many posted photos on Pennocks will not open, many others do.

I have the same problem. For years I never had any issues with PIP. It worked just fine with Win98, XP, and Vista. However, as soon as I started using Win7Pro... recurring problems.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

I never had any problems with PIP until I installed it on a Win7Pro machine. I quite often get the same message you get (cannot find server) when I go to upload an image. I can usually solve the problem by turning off other high memory draws (such as photo editing programs) and clearing cache files. I don't know why it should make a difference, but it does. Without doing anything else to PIP, the image file will then upload.

I also have problems viewing PIP hosted images on this same computer (using either Chrome or IE). I often have to clear cache files while viewing a page and then re-loading the page before the images will appear.

I'm not sure if the problem is at my end or with PIP's host. It's becoming quite a nuisance.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8.1 gave me problems...the lower portions of the images were blank, although the originals were OK.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Iv'e never had problems posting with PIP with any version of Windows, including 10. I have with all versions and still with W10 do have periodic problems seeing pictures posted on PFF. Sometimes I can see all of them, sometimes only some of them, and sometimes when I leave a thread or page and come back, the pictures are magically visible. I don't think it's PIP, but something in our computers that prevents posting or viewing.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I don't think it's PIP, but something in our computers that prevents posting or viewing.

No one at PFF has promoted the use of PIP here more than me... but PIP and the newer versions of Windows don't appear to play well together.

Bill Gates is not going to adapt his software to work with Cliff Pennock's. I think we already know who's going to have to blink.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP works fine for me under Windows 10. I've always been a proponent of it, because I actually use the search function, and pictures in threads last for years. The one improvement PFF REALLY needs, however, is a platform-independent solution for uploading images. Seems like this would be a lot more constructive than a color change I can post pictures with PIP in Linux with Wine, but there's still no Mac or iOS solution.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No Android solution, either.

Some images show as a little generic image placeholder, but if I click on it, it shows the actual image. I wish it wouldn't let those hugely wide images ruin the readability of the page.

My image upload pages re-make all images to a consistent size, while maintaining the aspect ratio. So, digital copyrighted images do not work, viruses should be killed, the images aren't too big, aren't too small, and they aren't in formats that don't work well with some browsers. Oddly, people upload ”images” in .PS, .PDF, .BMP, .TIFF, etc formats. I wish we could just browse to an image & post it here, rather than using a proprietary external program.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP has been updated over the years. You may be using an older copy. Try downloading a new one.
Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PIP using Windows10 worked fine for me until this morning? Now the program indicates it cannot locate the server.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Testing....Windows 7 and Firefox

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-21-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use Win7pro x64 and PIP is fine. I'm not testing PIP every time someone says PIP has problem or sucks.

If you can't see pictures posted via PIP then likely:
Browser set to block whatever site images. in this case, blocking images.fieroforum.com
DNS is barfing. Local or sometimes server side. try google dns etc.
Local firewall issues.
Image Server has problems or is down.

Can't post then likely:
Using old PIP or Auto Config data.
Local firewall issues.
Image Server has problems or is down.

Try running PIP as Admin or turn off UAC (How-To Geek) in control panel.

If you have IPv6 running (default in Win7 and up) then try unbind or turn off that service.
Unbind: Network connections/LAN status/Lan Properties button and uncheck IPv6

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-22-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Testing PIP
85fieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fieroguySend a Private Message to 85fieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85fieroguy

309 posts
Member since Aug 2015
Testing PIP....were do I find the web location as asked for when you click link image ?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Link and Image are two separate functions.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2015 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85fieroguy:
Testing PIP....were do I find the web location as asked for when you click link image ?

Right click image space and image properties. Exact words depend what browser... FF View Image Info

PIP uses folders on images.fieroforum.com
Currently: images.fieroforum.com/2015/
Example images.fieroforum.com/2015/homer-simpson-doh_1.gif

PIP is NOT your problem.
Your image "link" is images.fieroforum.com/2015/GEDC0194.JPG%5B/img%5D%5Bimg%5D in FF

Edit your post... see Testing PIP {IMG}//images.fiero.nl/2015/GEDC0194.JPG{/img}{img}{/IMG}
I used {} replace [] so you can see here
The nested/added IMG tags will cause %5B/img%5D%5Bimg%5D %xx are [ and ]. see http://www.obkb.com/dcljr/charstxt.html
Just past history into the post W/O Image button.

PIP server shows GEDC0194.JPG as:

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-21-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

If you can see pictures posted via PIP then likely: [EDIT] You mean "can't", right?

Most of the time I can see images posted via PIP just fine at PFF. However, very often I can't... and sometimes the only way to see the missing image is to copy its URL (by clicking on EDIT for the post and finding the image address) and then using it in its own browser page. Once that is done, then I can reload the original PFF page... and the image will now finally appear.

This has been such a freakin' hassle since I started using this particular computer a year ago with a fresh installation of Win7Pro.

No problems anywhere else on the 'net except for PFF.

Can't post then likely:

I often can only upload images using PIP if I first "clean" the memory and file cache using CleanMem. Otherwise I get the Cannot find server error message.

If you have IPv6 running (default in Win7 and up) then try unbind or turn off that service.
Unbind: Network connections/LAN status/Lan Properties button and uncheck IPv6

It appears that IPv4 is used on this computer. I don't know why it isn't the default of IPv6. Anyway, I've now followed the steps for changing the DNS settings, not that I actually understand anything about it.

I will report back after a day or two to state if there is any improvement. If there's no improvement, I may be returning here using my 15 year old Win98 machine.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're running IPv6 on your local network? Your local router supports IPv6 DHCP & has an IPv6 address? Basically, in network status, IPv6 showed internet connectivity? If not, you can't use IPv6 and get online; if so, why?

Of course, you could disable the page file at least temporarily to see if that helps. You should not have to flush the page file to get PIP to work. I suspect some program (other than Windows) has a memory leak. Bad programming, really.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-22-2015).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My pics work fine
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2015 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
You're running IPv6 on your local network? Your local router supports IPv6 DHCP & has an IPv6 address? Basically, in network status, IPv6 showed internet connectivity? If not, you can't use IPv6 and get online; if so, why?

Of course, you could disable the page file at least temporarily to see if that helps. You should not have to flush the page file to get PIP to work. I suspect some program (other than Windows) has a memory leak. Bad programming, really.

IPv6 doesn't matter because fiero.nl doesn't have an AAAA record, so it can only be accessed via IPv4. One only able to access IPv6 sites would not be able to see the forum at all. It's possible one could be on IPv6 and the ISP's translation router could be screwing something up, but it's not terribly likely to be the case.

Pictures not appearing sometimes, but working if you view the image directly, is almost certainly a caching issue. It's either a bug in the browser, or an issue with the server configuration, telling the browser to do the wrong things. A quick check to see what's being sent (loading this thread page) shows a LOT of HTTP 304 responses, and Last-Modified being sent as January 1, 1970. This is almost certainly causing more network traffic than is necessary, and could indeed cause odd cache loading issues in some browsers. This is very likely the cause of Patrick's issue with only having some images not shown some of the time, but having them work again for a while, when loading them directly.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-22-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Patrick:
I will report back after a day or two to state if there is any improvement. If there's no improvement, I may be returning here using my 15 year old Win98 machine.

Just install Ubuntu.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not a problem wt 10. Try reinstalling PIP. That worked last time I had issues after a Windows update.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It appears that IPv4 is used on this computer. I don't know why it isn't the default of IPv6. Anyway, I've now followed the steps for changing the DNS settings, not that I actually understand anything about it.

Yes I meant Can't above and edit to correct

Note that IPv6 is always on by default in Win7 and up. (Vista and XPsp3 had v6 but not on default etc.) If when router is turn off or too old to handle v6. Win7 etc IPv6 still tries to make a local v6 network automatically. That can cause problems. Unbind/bind won't need to reboot the machine.

"However, very often I can't... and sometimes the only way to see the missing image is to copy its URL ..."
In the browser, Try right click the img then show img/picture. If have timed out DNS then just that can help.

"I often can only upload images using PIP if I first "clean" the memory and file cache using CleanMem. Otherwise I get the Cannot find server error message."
Next time Try just opening CMD box and doing IPCONFIG /flushdns.
this should narrow down the problem.

Several values can change Time to Live etc for DNS cache but you need to backup the registry... All values require regedit.
Can add keys w/o actually using regedit but to remove/change after then likely will need it. You can make a batch file, the __.reg, to add edit and remove keys but ignore all this right now.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-22-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After making the DNS changes, so far so good. It might be too early to say the problem has been resolved for sure... but it's looking pretty good.

I haven't had any problems viewing images in any of the threads, except for many of Roger's images hosted at Photobucket which have disappeared.

I also had no problem with uploading the image below with PIP, even with the larger original 2500x1666 image still open at another website... and with the image editing program still open (that I used to re-size the image). Previously I had to close everything else down and "clean" the memory and file cache or else I'd get the server error when trying to upload with PIP. (I also wanted to mention, as it had been brought up earlier, that I have Win7Pro set up with no Virtual memory/page file.)

My thanks to Ogre for posting about changing the DNS settings. Although it can perhaps be said that the problem was at my end, I just want to make it clear that uploading and/or viewing PIP hosted images at PFF was the only issue I experienced anywhere... simply due to using the default DNS server address (which was automatically obtained). Very strange.

It's been awfully frustrating here over the past year. I'm hoping that this nonsense is now over!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-23-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. Memclean mostly just flushes the page file, although it does clean up misallocated RAM as well. DNS servers come from your DHCP server, likely your router. These values can either be just the router (that obtains its DNS from your ISP), passed on ISP DNS servers, or something you configured in the router during setup.

Some public DNS servers have gone away, like 4.2.2.2. Other thn that and the IP default bindings that the Ogre mentioned, things should work the same between Windows versions as far as DNS goes.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was playing w/ DNS cache last night...
Something I found is some "security" programs use C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to block some types of malware, like Spybot S&D.

The problem is that Hosts files is loaded into your local DNS Cache and Big hosts Can Fill the entire cache even when to set max cache in registry! I don't know if this is a new issue, IOW only newer DNS version does this or all preloaded the cache w/ hosts data.

In short...
Hosts file contents are permanent name maps to a site so you don't go thru DNS to find whatever. example add 217.148.167.147 www.fiero.com to hosts to get to PFF even when DNS is slow/dead.
Spybot S&D adds 15500+ sites (440+ KB) to the hosts file. (Sites added get routed to 127.0.0.1 to block them.)
Max DNS cache can take ~375 KB. (380 - overhead to manage the cache.)

If you have Hosts > 1kb then try changing name, like hoststtt, to stop using it. This is a live change to DNS and the results are instant. (DNS Hosts file must be named hosts w/o any extension.)

To see the cache data...
Open CMD then ipconfig /displaydns >c:/dns.txt

the >c:/dns.txt will put output into c:/dns.txt. If you have a big cache then is much easier to view using notepad etc.
(> after a command is rarely used redirect output method for most commands in DOS and CMD.)

If you have used a ___.reg file to add keys...
You can remove the keys in copy of reg file edit so all keys end w/ =-.
example:
was "CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180 is now "CacheHashTableSize"=-
(Values in reg files are Hex#)
Add/change/delete DNS cache keys will require reboot before take effect.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-23-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32235 posts
Member since Mar 99

DNS servers come from your DHCP server, likely your router. These values can either be just the router (that obtains its DNS from your ISP), passed on ISP DNS servers, or something you configured in the router during setup.

Some public DNS servers have gone away, like 4.2.2.2. Other thn that and the IP default bindings that the Ogre mentioned, things should work the same between Windows versions as far as DNS goes.

You have 2 or more local caches...
PC OS DNS cache
Most/All SOHO and many Business class Routers.

Most local caches will expire entries in a day by default or empty at boot.
(Hosts files and static maps will auto load at boot too.)

Then you get DNS addresses when all local caches fail.

Note:
you can change DNS # on a PC or on the Router.
Changing on the router then everything connected will get same change w/o fooling around in each device.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Note:
you can change DNS # on a PC or on the Router.
Changing on the router then everything connected will get same change w/o fooling around in each device.

Not necessarily. You have to change the wherever the router passes DNS for DHCP. If you only change the router's WAN DHCP, not realy changed, unless the router is defined as the DNS server.

BTW, to clear up an earlier point, you can have IPv6 locally, and still get to an IPv4 server, IF there is a router between to handle the translation.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys may as well be discussing Latin. I don't know this stuff.

If you have Hosts > 1kb then try changing name...

No, it's just 1kb.

To see the cache data...
Open CMD then ipconfig /displaydns >c:/dns.txt

the >c:/dns.txt will put output into c:/dns.txt. If you have a big cache then is much easier to view using notepad etc.
(> after a command is rarely used redirect output method for most commands in DOS and CMD.)

When I use the command as shown above, the result is... "Access is denied".

However, I can simply list the contents (within CMD) by shortening the command. Why is my access being denied (which is preventing me from creating a text file)? I'd like to show you a couple of things, but in the meantime I copied the following...

Record Name.......: www.fiero.nl
Record Type........: 1
Time To Live.......: 16082
Data Length........: 4
Section................: Answer
A (Host) Record..: 217.148.167.147

The "Time To Live" seems considerably longer for fiero.nl than for other entries that I have. Does this mean anything?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-23-2015).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sometimes I can see all of them, sometimes only some of them, and sometimes when I leave a thread or page and come back, the pictures are magically visible. I don't think it's PIP, but something in our computers that prevents posting or viewing.

This morning, I could see Ogre's pic and that was all. Right click, View Image, View Properties, nothing would work on the others. Now, I can see all of them. Same browser and I haven't changed anything. I don't think the problem is in the Viewer's device, but in the hosting site.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think the problem is in the Viewer's device, but in the hosting site.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing the DNS settings as per Ogre's instructions?

Since I've made the change, I haven't had any problems seeing all the PIP hosted images. The only real issue I'm still experiencing is that it takes about 20-30 seconds for the Preview window to show anything if I click "Preview" while I'm posting.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just out of curiosity, have you tried changing the DNS settings as per Ogre's instructions?

Not a chance. I don't speak Latin, either and I forgot most of my Turkish and Japanese. I want my computer to continue working. Besides, when it comes to the pictures, the DNS (Does Not Show) works fine.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I want my computer to continue working. Besides, when it comes to the pictures, the DNS (Does Not Show) works fine.

There's a lot that's been discussed that I don't understand, but honestly, changing the DNS settings is rather easy.

Does Not Show becomes Does Now Show.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please use [img thumb] for big picture.

Access denied could be CDM not running as admin and UAC (user access control) {or Sys Admin of Domain} won't allow the file to be a root of C:

Try:
Run CMD as admin or shut off UAC
>C:\Users\Public\dns.txt
>C:\Users\(accountnamehere)\Desktop\dns.txt example: I use C:\Users\Ogre\Desktop\dns.txt

CMD often does allow long names w/ spaces w/ " ". Example: >"C:\Users\Ogre test\Desktop\dns 01.txt"

I think: "Time To Live.......:" is the count down for that record in seconds. Hits zero and gone from cache. If you hit size limit low numbers go byebye first.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not a fan of a high TTL. On the other hand, a short TTL puts a heavy load on the server and causes excessive traffic. The TTL you're seeing in the DNS cache will have the highest time on the most recent request. That TTL value will slowly count down to zero, at which time a new DNS request must be made if the IP is again needed.

You don't like my Geek?

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-23-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This morning, I could see Ogre's pic and that was all. Right click, View Image, View Properties, nothing would work on the others. Now, I can see all of them. Same browser and I haven't changed anything. I don't think the problem is in the Viewer's device, but in the hosting site.
Your problem is not DNS or PIP
You hose the img tags because you only get One img and /img per pic. You have 2 each. EDIT your post to remove two at the end.
All I did was clean the img tags to post your picture above.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-23-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not a fan of a high TTL. On the other hand, a short TTL puts a heavy load on the server and causes excessive traffic. The TTL you're seeing in the DNS cache will have the highest time on the most recent request. That TTL value will slowly count down to zero, at which time a new DNS request must be made if the IP is again needed.
Longer TTL can cause DNS cache to fill up so might not help as many think.
Bigger cache can help, more so when you have many entries in Hosts. (Spybot will stuff the cache regardless.)

My guess that many claiming faster internet by tweaking the DNS cache likely have problems they don't know or understand. Most will see improvement by just change DNS.

DNS Cache Values and defaults are covered here
https://technet.microsoft.c...781532(v=ws.10).aspx
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't think the problem is in the Viewer's device, but in the hosting site.

After giving some thought to this, I retract this statement. Even when I can't see the pictures on my PC, I can see them on my cell phone or on my wife's laptop and she's running the same OS as I. It can't be the hosting site.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After giving some thought to this, I retract this statement. Even when I can't see the pictures on my PC, I can see them on my cell phone or on my wife's laptop and she's running the same OS as I. It can't be the hosting site.
Pic above?
Because maybe other devices/browsers can be ignoring your error. Depending how Servers is programed, Even when you browse to PFF and see same URL the PFF servers can see what is connecting and push different data.

I've open this page in 6 PC Browsers and get same broking image on your post above. 2 Win7, 4 in WinXP. My fix GEDC0194.JPG is good.

All "PIP" images, not just images you post because you might have same post error, then could be your PC w/ problems.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre, I'm confused on your comment. I haven't posted any images above. I only made a comment on being able to see the deck lid image you posted.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2015 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

After making the DNS changes, so far so good. It might be too early to say the problem has been resolved for sure... but it's looking pretty good.

I haven't had any problems viewing images in any of the threads, except for many of Roger's images hosted at Photobucket which have disappeared.
I also had no problem with uploading the image below with PIP, even with the larger original 2500x1666 image still open at another website... and with the image editing program still open (that I used to re-size the image). Previously I had to close everything else down and "clean" the memory and file cache or else I'd get the server error when trying to upload with PIP. (I also wanted to mention, as it had been brought up earlier, that I have Win7Pro set up with no Virtual memory/page file.)

Ive only used Photopoint (long since gone) and Picturetrail. Only pics other than the Photopoint ones that dont show up is because I removed them...something I like control of. Most of those missing are the girls pics, but im sure Ive cleaned some others too out from time to time.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-24-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock