87 duke into an 84. by Josh52894
Started on: 10-14-2015 01:37 AM
Replies: 46 (1041 views)
Last post by: Josh52894 on 05-19-2017 08:16 PM
Josh52894

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so this story goes back awhile, ill save the details. Ive known all the previous owners of my car and hated to see it getting parted out. I bought this car for $350 from a kid who is in my younger brothers class in high school. it didnt run, no alternator or starter, missing an engine mount and bracket, etc.... parts car. its an 84 2m4 4-speed performance trans, nothing special.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

a few months of fixing and i got the thing running, drove it around milwaukee for 3 weeks as a daily driver and the motor blew up. the slight tapping noise got alot louder and i found metal in the oil. My plan had been to swap a w11 mini cooper engine in but now im just happy getting it back on the road.

these pics are from right after it blew and i towed it home, but you can kinda see the condition of the car.
tow strap around the hood from tow dollying it home and not wanting it to fly open.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I didnt secure the deck lid well enough and that flew open and broke in half, anyone wanna sell me a deck lid? preferably with a working latch?
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

having owned an 85, 86 and now an 84 duke im getting sick of breaking v belts, also the 87-88 engine is better because of the auto belt tensioner, rollor rockers, distributorless ignition etc.

Picked up a 87 duke, wiring harness, and ecu. from a guy in rockford illinois for $150, he says it runs, we will find out.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I know this swap isnt anything special and its probably been done a million times, but search didnt reveal alot so I figured I would document it for posterity and practice lol.

The first thing to do was obviously pull the engine out, i chose to remove it thru the top because my "engine lift" would probably end up pulling the whole garage down on the car if i tried to lift the car. its pretty easy, disconnect coolant lines, sensors, throttle cable, fuel lines, few other things, unbolt belhousing and engine mounts and lift engine out. I had to remove the alternator to clear the dogbone.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

and shes out, the engine is orange from being rebuilt by the previous to previous to previous owner, that was about 2000 miles ago, im guessing thats the reason for the catostrophic engine failure.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

next is swapping parts from the old engine to the new one, I replaced the flexplate with the flywheel from the 84, its important to note the flywheel has longer bolts and they shouldnt be switched. installed the clutch, now i didnt have a clutch centering tool so i placed a 15mm deep well into the hole with electrical tape wrapped around it, if it doesnt work ill have to pony up the 6 bucks for a tool. I also used the starter and exhaust manifold from my old engine, this engine didnt come with a starter and the manifold was cracked.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

thats day 1, all the other pictures are on my digital camera witch i dont have at the moment, wiring, engine installation and such is coming soon.

[This message has been edited by Josh52894 (edited 11-30-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Look forward to reading further.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Josh52894:
I know this swap isnt anything special and its probably been done a million times, but search didnt reveal alot so I figured I would document it for posterity and practice lol.

Actually, you may be the first to do that swap. Putting an 87 duke into an 84 is probably as difficult as putting a V6 into an 84.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Actually, you may be the first to do that swap. Putting an 87 duke into an 84 is probably as difficult as putting a V6 into an 84.

That's what I was thinking....people avoid this swap because of ignition and wiring difficulty....It will be great to have a documented swap thread.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive got the pictures off the camera, this will get me completly up to date so far. like you guys said the big challenge is wiring, i have a few ideas on how to handle that but am not quite that far yet. ive been studying the old harness and new harness. looks like the 84 has the taillights and charging system going thru the c500, im planning on keeping that exactly how it is and cutting the charging system wiring out of the 87 engine harness.

this should mean i can keep the c500 where it is without extending wires. but im already ahead of myself.

heres my fantastic clutch alignment tool, im not sure if it worked, i cant get the engine on the trans splines so maybe not,
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

im having a hard time with the image sizes, i already got them to 1024 but they are just too big. once im done googling how to compress pictures ill continue my post.

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

im having a hard time with the image sizes, i already got them to 1024 but they are just too big. once im done googling how to compress pictures ill continue my post.

1024 pixels in width is perfect for images here, however the file size can't be more than 300 kb.

Use a free program such as IrfanView to resize your images. This handy program even allows you to select maximum file size before you create the JPG.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 C500 in NOT the same as all later years. IOW is NOT a Plug and Play item.

84 have All Alternator wiring going thru C500. You have to repin the 87 wires into 84 C500. You can to this w/o cutting but don't think 87 wires are long enough to reach 84.
See my Cave, Terminal Access

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know they are all way diffrent, ive got all the wiring diagrams and pinouts. Im not using the 87 c500 at all. but im changing alot of pins, ill explain it when i get there.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldnt figure out what i was trying to figure out so i just resized everything to 800X600, i hope thats big enough.

well here is the engine about to go in, notice i had to remove the alternator again, im not sure if there is a diffrence but im planning on swapping pullys and using the alternator from the 84 because its brand new. i also found that tensioner seized up in case anyone wants to sell me one.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

both engines,
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

here is the 84 engine harness, it was a mess to start with if you cant tell by the exposed wires and electrical tape.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

next i removed the 84 ecu, unclipped the harness from the bulkhead and pushed the harness out thru the hole. this is the 87 harness installed, as you can see it fits in the same spot.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

this is the 87 engine harness installed in the engine compartment, i just placed it off to the side for now.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

I seperated the c500 for now till i decide whitch pins to change, as you can see the starting charging harness is pretty small and will hopefully fit perfectly onto the 87 engine. considering im using the starter, alternator and ignition switch/body wirng from the 84 there shouldnt be alot of problems the other part of the c500 i didnt touch because all it runs is lights.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

heh, i look like i know what im doing right? this is where the c500 would normally be on the 87, im not using the charging system stuff but some of these wires are still important, i havnt decided how to connect them to their proper destinations yet.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

heres the engine hanging in the bay, i had a little bit of help muscling it around.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

it was getting late and i had to head home for the week, i have it in but i couldnt quite get it to mate to the trans, i might have to buy that centering tool afterall, it seems all of them come with a whole clutch kit tho.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

next up is to connect the engine harness and charging harness to all the sensors, friday night ill be back at it and hopefully have some solid plan and an installed engine.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I couldnt figure out what i was trying to figure out so i just resized everything to 800X600, i hope thats big enough.

Sure, they're "big enough", and they're fine... but you could've made them 1024 by whatever height you wanted.

Originally posted by Patrick:

1024 pixels in width is perfect for images here, however the file size can't be more than 300 kb.

Use a free program such as IrfanView to resize your images. This handy program even allows you to select maximum file size before you create the JPG.

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nah, ill just keep all the full sized pics to myself... muahahahhahahah!!!
PFF
System Bot
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Josh52894

130 posts
Member since Jan 2014
i consider myself pretty mechanically capable, pretty good with technology too. i can do wiring and fix computers and cars and all sorts of things but editing pictures is like pulling teeth....

edit... i did download that thing you linked, and i did try it for a solid hour and a half. maybe fancy high resolution pictures are just not for me.

[This message has been edited by Josh52894 (edited 10-15-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i did download that thing you linked, and i did try it for a solid hour and a half. maybe fancy high resolution pictures are just not for me.

If/when you figure it out, you can batch convert a whole folder of images to a set width and file size. It's a great little program.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just use [img thumb]
Even on "legal" pictures. It saves time bandwidth etc to read a thread w/ many pictures.
Example:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

(Some reason the thumb image isn't working right now.
Another example see //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128600.html )

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-15-2015).]

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2015 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Worked on the Fiero this weekend, no pictures because not a lot changed. I got the engine mated to the trans, hooked up coolant lines, exhaust installed etc.
Started hooking up the 84 charging system wiring and wanted to get the engine to at least turn over but apperently I broke my starter hen I installed the engine. Also I bought some generic fuel lines, I jut need to bend them since the 84 and 87 fuel lines go in on opposite sides of the throttle body.
Also I still need an 87 throttle cable since that is also different. Anybody know which connector powers up the ecu on the 87 harness? On the 84 it looked like a o2 sensor connector and I can't decide which one it is.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so this past weekend i made some progress. I need some help identifying connectors, ive never owned a newer duke before so sorry if they are dumb questions.

there were a couple connectors that went down near the trans, this engine was out of an automatic car so im assuming they go to the auto trans but i wanna be sure.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Im about to start cutting the usless parts off the 87 harness. other than that all i have to do is power up the ecu and change the water pump outlet. im going to wait to post the pinouts of my new harness till i actually do it and it runs. my first goal is to get it running, i havnt decided how to tackle the dashboard lights yet either. this is literally my first engine swap ever so please be patient.

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made myself some fuel lines too because the fuel lines go into the throttle body on the opposite side on the 87. also i noticed the alternator is diffrent between the two years. i want to use the 84 alternator but one mount hole is diffrent,

heres my fuel lines, its crude and i think im going to redo them with rubber lines since they turned out so ugly, but you do what you can with what youve got.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

Nope, I did this swap over 2 years ago, see sig.

There is alot to change over, let me see what I can remember, I mixed alot of 87 parts into it. The throttle cable, the fuel lines, the ecm tray, the power distribution by the battery, the air cleaner hose, fuel filter, ac line, the water/air seprator box, part of another engine wiring harness, part of another c500 harness, two parts from a water pump, 5 speed shifter and cables.

If I can think of more I will add it.

Too explain some,
I made an adapter harness so the 87 harness plugs in a c500 by the battery like it should and the other end plugs into the 84 c500.
Made the power dis by the battery like it should and not off the starter, which is a fire hazard.
You need a 5 speed shifter and cables and also run the back up lights wiring to the back.
The 87 ecm takes a different tray.
The air cleaner hose won't fit untill you cut out the opening bigger.
The fuel lines are different locations so I just used later year lines.
The A/C lines have the ports swaped so you need the 87 line.
The water pump I coupled together two parts and that put the heater line in the right place.

When I get back in town I can add the pics I took, if you want, so we can keep all the info in the same thread.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined '87 Duke (Sold)
'87 Quad 4 H.O.
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sardonyx247

5032 posts
Member since Jun 2003

ok so this past weekend i made some progress. I need some help identifying connectors, ive never owned a newer duke before so sorry if they are dumb questions.

there were a couple connectors that went down near the trans, this engine was out of an automatic car so im assuming they go to the auto trans but i wanna be sure.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Im about to start cutting the usless parts off the 87 harness. other than that all i have to do is power up the ecu and change the water pump outlet. im going to wait to post the pinouts of my new harness till i actually do it and it runs. my first goal is to get it running, i havnt decided how to tackle the dashboard lights yet either. this is literally my first engine swap ever so please be patient.

Oil pressure sensor

Transmission plug (auto)

MAP sensor
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awsome thanks.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2015 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Josh52894

130 posts
Member since Jan 2014
My car is non A/C, also I would much appreciate posting your pics here. im going to leave the c500 where it is, it might be a fire hazard but i think ill be fine. i hope....
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My car is non A/C, also I would much appreciate posting your pics here. im going to leave the c500 where it is, it might be a fire hazard but i think ill be fine. i hope....

The fire hazard I was talking about was the power distribution off the starter, not the c500.
I left the 84 c500 in the stock location, but made an adapter harness to plug into it, and now have another c500 by the battery. And moved all the power distribution by the battery too, just like the later years. If that makes sense.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think i know what you mean, i was just going to extend the wires i needed back to the c500 i already had and cut out everything else.

on the water pump, you just changed the outlets right? also you said you need 5 speed cables? is that because you are using a 5 speed trans?

the only things i need are an 87 throttle cable and tensioner for the belt.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I used the 5 speed from the 87.

That reminds me if you use the 87 5speed you need a 85-88 duke slave cylinder.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 12-04-2015).]

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nah, i stuck with the 4 speed. it was already in the car and i didnt have to buy it.
sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally found my pics, and they got corrupted somehow, I can see the thumbnails but only part of the pics, grrrrr.

But from what I can make out some info to add.
for the coolant line I took another 87 water pump fitting and bolted it to an 84 fitting, put it in line of the hose to give me a heater line output.
For the A/C line I cut the 84 line in half at the compressor fitting and swaped ports and used a plate to hold (now two ends) on the compressor.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing the same swap however my solution to problem is to swap out the rest cars wiring from a from a post 84 car and not have to worry about the unique 84 wiring.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well ive got everything figured out, but its been too cold out and the garage isnt heated so i moved the car outta the garage and put a tarp over it for winter. I will resume the project in spring, i was slacking off thinking i had all winter to figure it out.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Josh52894

130 posts
Member since Jan 2014
i feel like as soon as i power the ecu and crank the engine over it should run as it sits but im still looking for a throttle cable and tensioner and i have to buy another starter. how is the fuel pump ran on an 84? will my 87 ecu make any diffrence? i dont see any wires from the ecu to the pump so it must be run off the ignition switch right?
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Josh52894

130 posts
Member since Jan 2014
nevermind, i figured it out.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2016 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly I pulled the car back into the garage from winter storage a few weeks back. Hadn't been touched all winter, I've got so much done the thing is almost ready to start up. I'll take a few pictures of the important stuff but for the most part there isn't much to show.

Switched over the water pump outlet to the 84 type. Also had to swap for an 87 coolant hose and bend it a little, no biggie. swapped throttle cable over to the 87 type witch actually required some work the grommet that goes thru the firewall is an oval instead of a circle and doesn't fit without grinding the firewall hole out a bit. It's easy. Ill post pictures of the wiring, I didn't move the c500. I ran a power wire to the fuel pump and put a switch on the dash with a 30 amp fuse.

as of right now the Pcm is powered up and ready to go, there's no injector pulse yet, probably just missing the crank signal soon as I find and run that wire my car should start. I'm a little worried about the charging system since I'm using the 87 alternator and engine harness but the 84 wiring for the starter. Cross my fingers I guess. I'm taking pictures this weekend. This swap isn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be. Once it's running I'll worry about my dash lights witch might be another massive pain in the butt.
PFF
System Bot
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly I pulled the car back into the garage from winter storage a few weeks back. Hadn't been touched all winter, I've got so much done the thing is almost ready to start up. I'll take a few pictures of the important stuff but for the most part there isn't much to show.

Switched over the water pump outlet to the 84 type. Also had to swap for an 87 coolant hose and bend it a little, no biggie. swapped throttle cable over to the 87 type witch actually required some work the grommet that goes thru the firewall is an oval instead of a circle and doesn't fit without grinding the firewall hole out a bit. It's easy. Ill post pictures of the wiring, I didn't move the c500. I ran a power wire to the fuel pump and put a switch on the dash with a 30 amp fuse.

as of right now the Pcm is powered up and ready to go, there's no injector pulse yet, probably just missing the crank signal soon as I find and run that wire my car should start. I'm a little worried about the charging system since I'm using the 87 alternator and engine harness but the 84 wiring for the starter. Cross my fingers I guess. I'm taking pictures this weekend. This swap isn't as hard as I thought it was gonna be. Once it's running I'll worry about my dash lights witch might be another massive pain in the butt.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2016 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Once it's running I'll worry about my dash lights witch might be another massive pain in the butt.

Sorry. I don't know enough about Dukes to talk intelligently about them.

Dash lights are another story.

The dash light dimmer controls a transistor, which is mounted to a heat sink, sort of above the driver's right leg, under the dash. The transistor and heat sink are removed as an assembly.
The transistor is a big diamond shaped metal case, screwed into the heat sink, and its two pins plug into a socket, behind the heat sink. The usual problem is a poor connection between the pins and the socket. I just put a dab of solder on each pin.
The white gooey stuff is heat sink compound. If you feel the need to take it apart (which is probably not necessary) clean everything well, and use computer CPU cooler paste when you put it back together. Spread it very thin. You must use the quartz insulator between the transistor and the heat sink. Be careful not to break it.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 06-03-2016).]

Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2016 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
She runs!!! Course now I have to do a bunch of stuff to keep it running for a bit longer than a few seconds but it's close. I'll have pictures asap but I'm kinda lazy. Bunch of small stuff in still working on.

Does anyone sell a block off plate for the EGR?
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I stopped taking pictures and documenting the swap because I realized how bad of a job I was actually doing. its not by any means done and I do plan on cleaning it up and getting rid of the extra wires and making it look nice but for now it runs good. actually took the car to the drag strip today and ran a 17.543 at 76.83mph. I submitted my time slip to the quarter mile list.

I will be linking the video to the run also on the list, I can do it here too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

She runs!!! Course now I have to do a bunch of stuff to keep it running for a bit longer than a few seconds but it's close. I'll have pictures asap but I'm kinda lazy. Bunch of small stuff in still working on.

Does anyone sell a block off plate for the EGR?
DIS Dukes ECM programing will barf w/o EGR working. Timing maps expect EGR and w/o that can backfire in the intake and that fry MAT sensor and cause other problems.

EGR #
See my Cave, Emissions

Get Wells OE type if at all possible

Make sure EGR goes to correct TBI vac port.
See my Cave, 700 TBI
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
really? I mean ill take your word on it, but ive been running with an egr block off plate for a couple thousand miles now. I havnt noticed back firing but you say it will damage stuff eventually? I better get egr lol.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Josh52894

130 posts
Member since Jan 2014
actually I take that back, I did notice backfiring the first pass at the drag strip I let the rpms get too low. that's probably gonna damage one of my sensors?
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 and others w/ DIS dukes Hates blocking EGR and I have OE and update PROMs in the ECM.
(See my Cave, 87-88 DIS Duke ECM)

EGR has no feedback to or control from ECM like V6 but all programing is done counting on EGR flow.

Anything causing backfire in the intake will cause MAT to fry etc.
A bad MAT can causes DTC 45 w/o setting bad MAT, DTC 25
TBI, intake and mounting hardware can get stress problems from this too. Beating intake bolts loose can cause vac leaks anywhere and/or #4 cyl to suck coolant often w/o leaking you can see easy.

If you have state emission test, depending just how the test is done can fail w/o good EGR.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2017 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think youre onto something ogre, car is definitely not running right now. filled up today and now it dies when i hit the throttle either got bad gas or the backfiring killed something. well its back to the garage. thanks! you are an invaluable resource!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock