VtV's 85 GT by virtuetovice
Started on: 10-14-2014 09:40 PM
Replies: 59 (1340 views)
Last post by: virtuetovice on 05-14-2015 10:49 PM
virtuetovice

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well considering I've been posting in a no-longer-relevant thread, here's one dedicated to the Fiero I now own.

85 GT 2.8/auto
Purchased from dobey

After a long day of yanking the tank, replacing the pump and quite a few trips to the parts store, it starts and runs. Rough, as if the timing is terrible, and knocks when revved up a little. Not like super hard knock. Doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Dy_xRxuNo

Stupid question, but I assume an can be caused by really bad timing?

So far, it has new plugs, new wires, the dizzy cap looks new. I haven't been far enough in but I'd be willing to bet the dizzy has been replaced too if the timing is really off that bad.

What I've done:
Fuel pump
Fuel Lines
Fuel pump relay

Pics coming soon.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2014 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally started a build thread.

Can you feel significant flow out of the exhaust tips when this happens? Timing + partially clogged exhaust could certainly cause it to run rough. What's the fuel pressure like when you rev it up? If you're losing fuel pressure when revved up, could be the FPR or a vacuum issue causing it to lean out.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the timing? What is the history of the engine?
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust seems to flow very well. I suppose I'll be checking timing this afternoon.

The history of this engine is largely unknown. When I got it, the engine did not run but for the price I was willing to jump in and make it run. It runs now. ZOMBIE PEGASUS ;D

I hope it's not rod knock or a spun bearing but I really doubt it, the sound is not as intense as the rod knock I've heard. Also, the oil pressure is excellent(assuming the oil pressure gauge works on the cluster) as soon as I start cranking it climbs right to the middle.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
What is the history of the engine?

When I got the car, was told owner previous to the one I bought it from parked it after it stopped running. Person I bought it from said it sat for a while as they never got it back on the road (I don't recall if they mentioned anything about changing plugs/dist/etc…). And I never touched the engine the entire time I owned the car. AFAIK, it's the original engine, and some simple thing such as ICM or pick-up caused it to stop running, and it's been parked ever since.

So, it's very plausible that the timing is off, and/or pick-up could need replacing. It's been sitting for a long time, in a fairly humid area, so the pick-up could be rusty. Also very plausible that mice could have got in exhaust and caused partial clogging. And also very plausible that vacuum lines could have dried out causing FPR issues.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be checking the timing this afternoon. Hopefully that will solve the knock and misfire. If not, back to the drawing board! lol
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by virtuetovice:

I'll be checking the timing this afternoon. Hopefully that will solve the knock and misfire. If not, back to the drawing board! lol

Set the timing first, then check fuel pressure if it still has a misfire or knock after that. Remember that you'll need to jump 2 of the pins in the ALDL connector to set the timing. I forget which two exactly though.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is probably shot. I can haz L67 swap nao?
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2014 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Found a 30k mile 2.8 for $200. Seems a bit high to me. Or maybe I'm just a cheap ass?? Are there any other 2.8 blocks that will directly bolt up to the Fiero parts?

For now I've decided to stick with the 2.8, my main priority for the time being is getting the car running properly and driving as quickly as possible without breaking the bank.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-18-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Found a 30k mile 2.8 for $200. Seems a bit high to me. Or maybe I'm just a cheap ass?? Are there any other 2.8 blocks that will directly bolt up to the Fiero parts?

For now I've decided to stick with the 2.8, my main priority for the time being is getting the car running properly and driving as quickly as possible without breaking the bank.

All the 2.8s from any GM car of the mid 80s should bolt up. But not many had the high output version of the 2.8. Fiero, 6000 STE, Citation X-11. The F-body 2.8 has the same horsepower. But you might as well just throw in a 3.4 from the 93-95 F-body cars instead, if you can find one cheap. More power, and you just need to swap a few things off the 2.8 onto the 3.4 and drill starter mount holes.

I don't think $200 is too high for a good running 2.8. I'd call it a deal. Granted they aren't a popular engine, and it's hard enough to give them away, but $200 for a complete engine is a steal for pretty much any engine, really. A rebuild would cost a lot more than that, at least.

If you want to go the cheapest route though, maybe just fix the head gasket on the one in the car? Unless the block or heads are cracked, that's probably the cheapest thing to do. If there's no coolant in the oil, then it should be fine otherwise.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This engine is a negative. I started it again and the knock is REALLY heavy now. Dunno why it wasn't nearly as bad the last couple times. I'll have a video up tonight. Sounds like a rod searching for an escape.
PFF
System Bot
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

virtuetovice

104 posts
Member since Sep 2014
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-19-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is one weird sounding "knock." Though maybe it's because the camera is next to the intake vent (assuming you hooked the intake tube back up).
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, didn't bother with the intake tube. The stock filter canister will need some serious cleaning before it should be passing any air to the motor...not that I GAF about this one now. Popped a little cone filter right on the throttle body to get her started, and it does not muffle the intake noise at all. So yeah the hiss is pretty prevalent...but if you listen on something with decent sound, you can hear some internals not sounding healthy at all.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-26-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any luck finding a replacement?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May be a big hole in one exhaust manifold....or broken bolts.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2014 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, tore the top end off and the EGR tube is snapped off right at the bottom of the plenum. Good thing I have two people so far that have complete motors. Gonna probably check them out this week.

"twincharged L67" keeps crossing my mind but I dont have that many pizza rolls right now.

[This message has been edited by virtuetovice (edited 10-27-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-27-2014 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool.

So it was the EGR tube causing all the noise then? Do you want to try just replacing that?
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was causing the hissing sound. However, there is still a super ugly knock that got worse every time I started the engine. Rod knock or wrist pin knock. Also a bad head gasket. I imagine PO ran it hot on a bad head gasket until it started making ugly sounds.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, engine acquired. 2.8 rebuilt at 90k miles, and 30k so far on the rebuild. According to seller, it was removed in perfect working order in favor of a 3800 SC and has been out of car since August. Special shout out to the seller, fierjoe for a killer deal on the motor, especially considering the other things he just threw into the deal including the Ocelot exhaust system with stealth CAT delete. Was debating on whether or not to use it but the crazy guy that lives in the apartment complex next to mine made that decision for me... >=(

If you might be wondering, he's nuts. He called the cops on me on more than one occasion for frivolous nonsense, including Saturday while I was working on my car. My offense? WORKING ON MY CAR. Supposedly its buried deep in City code of Norfolk VA that I am in violation if I do any "major" work in a zone other than a garage. Okay fair enough, but the fact that this AHOLE has nothing better to do than comb pages and pages of city bylaws to nit pick me for violations is a direct indication that he's obviously never touched a female. Furthermore, this guy is listed with the local PD as a public nuisance. Seriously, are you really going to waste an officer's time for violation of a redundant and senseless city code? The officer of course agreed that the entire situation was complete and utter BS, and kept dropping hints that I should just move the car "in front of the garage" that is rented out to another individual that I just so happen to be friends with. Crazy lifeless neighbor 0, me 1. Long story short the guys been harassing me directly and indirectly for a year and this is the last straw. He has opened an ugly stinkin' can of worms. Up until this point I've ignored the behavior but guess what... My parking spot just happens to be right beside his bedroom window and I will be absolutely sure to back into my spot every night with that Ocelot exhaust rumbling. Me: 2. Guy, still 0. /rant

Everything does seem to be coming together nicely. I took a 12 hour total trip across VA and ended up getting an awesome deal on engine and other goodies. Oh and just so everyone knows, you CAN transport an engine across the state in the trunk of a Buick Regal HAHAHA. The only thing left keeping this baby off the road is time and an engine swap. Oh and freshening up the brake system. I've owned the car a month and still haven't been able to take it for a drive LOL I guess that first drive will be that much sweeter.

On a side note, does anyone local/semi local have a GT front bumper cover in decent shape for sale? Obviously I have no problem traveling a sort of reasonable distance for a good deal. Original black/silver two tone paint would be lovely.

[This message has been edited by virtuetovice (edited 11-10-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Yeah, don't forget the caliper and rotor before you try to drive it.

Some people just have nothing better to do than to piss on other people, though. And the only thing you can do is make a bigger stream. After eating some asparagus.
PFF
System Bot
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Who the Hell needs brakes anyways? BKUZ RASE KAR.
To me, it seems some people exist solely to remind you that you're not as miserable as you think you are. I feel so much better after about 5 minutes of irritation due to aforementioned behavior because I realize "damn, that guy must wake up in the morning hating on breakfast" HOW CAN YOU BE MAD AT BACON DUDE

Or maybe hes jealous because he can't haz Fiero? His 98 Grand Marquis is pretty eff'd up from other people taking destructive revenge out on it because of his shenanigans. Not me though. It's not the poor car's fault that he's a gigantic douche...it's much more fun to smile and troll the crap out of someone like that...

[This message has been edited by virtuetovice (edited 11-10-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need brakes for when you want to go sit in the parking lot that is I-64. And because for some reason people like to practice doing nose dives on the interstate, rather than getting the hell out of the way when they want to drive 15 MPH under the speed limit in the fast lane.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seriously. Also for when people decide to drop their speed by 20mph for no apparent reason through the tunnel. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT. My first instinct is to floor it and get the hell out of it.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, after a weekend jam packed with setbacks including ANOTHER visit from the police I have the cradle removed from the car, and the old engine removed from the cradle. I purchased an engine from a manual car so it seems I will need to swap over my old harness, which has also been removed from the old engine. Old engine is ready to scrap. Before I scrap it however, are there any parts made of unobtanium that I should remove from the old engine? Anything Fiero-specific that I may be overlooking?

Moving on, the new engine is in excellent shape and seems to be rebuilt. The oil pan gasket was a bit leaky but that was quickly taken care of with a new gasket. Shame if you wish but I went with the 2 piece cork kit, don't know if anyone has any bad feelings toward the OEM-style pan setup but I'm cool with it. Upon removal of the oil pan I noticed there were Sharpie numbers on each of the rod ends, so my guess would be that a full rebuild was done as described by the seller of the engine. The rod ends had no play and seemed very tight.

This coming weekend will be the reassembly phase. Next comes brake work and then hopefully I can take it for a cruise. The only thing that sucks is that I only have weekends to really do anything.

Also; opinions on the Ocelot exhaust setup?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-17-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also; opinions on the Ocelot exhaust setup?

Have the catback system on my 87 GT. Sounded great when it ran.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2014 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one has the "cat" on it. lol
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-18-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This one has the "cat" on it. lol

Yeah, the system I bought included the performance cat as well. I also had new manifolds installed shortly after I had the exhaust installed. If my exhaust wasn't still bolted into the car, I'd be selling it too. No idea when I'll be able to get it pulled out though.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If by performance cat, you mean "cat-shaped piece of pipe" then yes.

I got a good score of parts from the uPull. A drivers side rear caliper that had been very recently replaced. Under a little road grime, the thing was still shining. I also grabbed the drivers side door panel, as I was missing it. Same color!! YES!

Got myself the last headlight motor I needed, and a few handfuls of screws that I needed. Gonna head back Saturday to grab some more bits and pieces I wouldn't mind grabbing since the one at the JY was in damn good shape inside. Tomorrow I will be putting the new engine in the car and getting everything bolted up. I hope to have it road-worthy Monday. Won't be perfect yet but I should be able to drive it safely...
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If by performance cat, you mean "cat-shaped piece of pipe" then yes.

I got a good score of parts from the uPull. A drivers side rear caliper that had been very recently replaced. Under a little road grime, the thing was still shining. I also grabbed the drivers side door panel, as I was missing it. Same color!! YES!

Got myself the last headlight motor I needed, and a few handfuls of screws that I needed. Gonna head back Saturday to grab some more bits and pieces I wouldn't mind grabbing since the one at the JY was in damn good shape inside. Tomorrow I will be putting the new engine in the car and getting everything bolted up. I hope to have it road-worthy Monday. Won't be perfect yet but I should be able to drive it safely...

Hah, no. I have an actual cat, not a hollowed one.

If the one at the yard was an 87 or 88, get the other headlight motor too. Might as well upgrade both to the second gen motors if that's what you're getting.

Good luck getting it running.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was an 86 SE. For now I'm sticking with 1st gen motors to see what kind of luck I have with em. Getting ready to head outside now and put the wiring harness on the engine, engine on the cradle, and button everything back up. Let's see how far along I can get today.
PFF
System Bot
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cradle goes back in tomorrow! Wish me luck for a running and driving Zombie Pegasus...

Oh and I hadn't mentioned it, but that old engine was more fxxxxd than I thought it was. The inside of the oil pan looked like a glittery Christmas ornament. So yeah that engine got scrapped!!
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2014 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cradle made it back in. All bolted up. Now all I need to do is hook up the wires and hoses.

While I was in the attic I ran across the retractable underhood lamp from my old Cutlass. I hope I can find a way to install it on the Fiero.

I also wouldn't mind figuring out how to make the Cutlass digital UB3 cluster work in the Fiero. I know there will be some dash modding but what about the wiring? Seems like it might be involved but would be worth it to me.

For those of you who don't know the digi UB3 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-rJI7BVR_k
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-24-2014 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice.

If that digital gauge pod is from a pre-1996 vehicle, it shouldn't be too bad. The Cavalier Z24 digital dash has been done before, and I'd expect the Cutlass from the same vintage to be similar to swap in, at least for the electronics.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would be especially sweet to have it in there along with the Cutlass HUD

Yeah I kept all the cool parts...even the RKE box and remote...
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2014 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should be finishing her up tomorrow....at least a running and driving state. I went back to that JY Fiero and grabbed a new drivers side CV axle. Not sure if you knew it dobey but that axle's boot was messed up and grease was puking out of it. I had a look and the axle itself was pretty F'd up. I also acquired the brake hardware I needed.

All that's left is to take care of that axle, brakes, get the engine hooked back up to the body and go for a ride

Fingers crossed.

The next thing on the list after this will be finding a good GT front bumper cover, black/silver two tone in good shape. Accepting donations

[This message has been edited by virtuetovice (edited 11-28-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't aware of the axle being bad, no.

Nice to see she's almost back on the road though.
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2014 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna polish out the last bits tomorrow, it's supposed to be nice
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay so the engine is not starting. I have checked and double checked my plug wires for proper connection and no fire. Engine turns over fine, all 6 wires are getting spark (tested with timing light), and I can smell unburned fuel from the exhaust so I'm assuming it's getting fuel. I'm sure that the timing is super off. Is there a good quick and dirty writeup on starting from square 1 and totally resetting the timing back to factory spec?
virtuetovice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for virtuetoviceSend a Private Message to virtuetoviceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

virtuetovice

104 posts
Member since Sep 2014
Got it all worked out. PO of engine just informed me that it may be 180* off and sure enough, ZOMBIE PEGASUS. Needs a fine tune timing and a few more details, then off for a drive hopefully!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock