Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  We took our Fiero to church this morning... (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
We took our Fiero to church this morning... by go_home_red
Started on: 04-13-2014 02:50 PM
Replies: 40 (1029 views)
Last post by: litespd on 05-31-2014 10:09 PM
go_home_red

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So we decided to take my wife's '87 Fiero to church this morning, which is by far our nicest car. If you say your car is in perfect shape, I'm going to go ahead and say that this one was probably better. It's silver and has T-tops, and the car only has 30,803 miles.

At the same time we were on the road, some lady in a new Ford Explorer decided to run a stop sign.

Anyone care to guess where this is going?

Everyone's fine. But holy hell, that really didn't need to happen.

Yeah, that's not our nicest car anymore. It's still our lowest mileage car, but...dammit. Now I get to find out how much the car isn't worth to an insurance company. The damage was to the rear roof clip, the rear quarter panel, and the door. The wheel was damaged, and I'm guessing that the tie rod or tie rod mount was damaged. There was also a bit of damage to the chassis right behind the door (the part of the chassis covered by the quarter panel). The passenger side door doesn't open, but there didn't appear to be any visible damage to the T-top parts.

Does anyone else feel like hating SUV owners, owners of new cars, and non-Fiero drivers in general? I know I do.

[This message has been edited by go_home_red (edited 04-13-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2kewlgypsy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2kewlgypsySend a Private Message to 2kewlgypsyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't see the pics, but feel your pain!
So sorry.
Knowing the insurance company isn't going to feel the same way as you do probably about a 26 year old car, have a hunch that your going to fix it?
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pics are fixed

Thanks for the reply. We'll see what number the insurance company gives for a value...not holding my breath on that. We will fix it, though--it's just too nice of a car to get rid of. Just didn't need one more thing to fix right now!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry this happened. So frustrating driving ANYWHERE anymore, the distracted drivers, old drivers, young drivers....
Hope the damage is only cosmetic...
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am always afraid of something like this everytime I take it out, I wish I lived in a more rural area.

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

Sorry this happened. So frustrating driving ANYWHERE anymore, the distracted drivers, old drivers, young drivers....
Hope the damage is only cosmetic...

Well its obviously not cosmetic, see the wheel? But it looks fairly easy to fix (not to be confused with "cheap to fix").

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

I am always afraid of something like this everytime I take it out, I wish I lived in a more rural area.

Well its obviously not cosmetic, see the wheel? But it looks fairly easy to fix (not to be confused with "cheap to fix").

If it helps, I can't say that Norfolk, Nebraska is much of a metropolis--and that obviously didn't make much of a difference today. Just what happens when careless driving and timing coincide.

I'm curious to see if the damage is to the tie rod or tie rod mount on the cradle, or if the hub got bent. We'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the replies to my venting. It's good to have a place like this where people see value in these cars. They may not be worth much in terms of dollars, but they are fun.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have damage to the B-pillar, not a good thing at all. With good fortune (I hope), the pillar crushed and did not transmit energy into the firewall. It is not an easy or inexpensive fix.
Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but I have seen too many like this.
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

You have damage to the B-pillar, not a good thing at all. With good fortune (I hope), the pillar crushed and did not transmit energy into the firewall. It is not an easy or inexpensive fix.
Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but I have seen too many like this.

As long as you weren't driving a white Explorer at 11:30 this morning, I'm glad to have your insight. It is what it is at this point...and if it wasn't snowing with 30 mph winds now (where is this coming from???), I'd probably be outside looking at the car once the tow truck drops it off.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now just doing this by photo I would say I have good news and bad new.

The good news is that it looks very fixable. I have seen much worse and even my car too a much harder hit. I know you can not always tell till the body is off but I really thing with the way things are lined up you may be in good shape for repair.

The bad news is unless you have specified insurance or collectors insurance I would expect little help from Insurance. You may be able to fight it and prove your case bases on miles and condition but it is not always easy. At this point nearly all of us with low mileage cars need specified amount or collectors insurance to protect our value.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry for your loss, and feel your pain. Glad everyone's OK. Similar thing happened to my Tahoe. Rental budget truck with a moron at the wheel. And he got away with it. Midwest Sewing Insurance co is a bunch of crooks. Hope your experience goes better.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea verily that sucketh.
PFF
System Bot
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
man, i bet you were mad

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Same as tshark said, glad no one got hurt (physically) mentally its sucks you have to look at that beautiful car in the shape its in.If they are at fault don't they pay for damage no matter what year the car is? Regardless of what bluebook value is.

[This message has been edited by davylong86 (edited 04-13-2014).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Things happen. This is a thing. It will get fixed, hopefully to what it was. In the meantime, I guess I don't have to like it. But there's nothing that I can't fix. I just wish it could have been my Ranger instead, though--it already needs a bit of body work!
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry this happened to you, I think because our cars are so low compared to most everything else on the road that distracted drivers don't see them, that's no excuse for the bozo hitting you though.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks nasty! So sorry
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is crazy but I had a similar accident in my 86 Siver SE. Looked just like yours but damage on the drivers side. My insurance company totalled my car. They thought the damage was more than what the car was worth. As I was discussing things with the insurance company I had mentioned I would love to by the car back and repair it. He said you absolutely can. So for $100 dollars I got my car back plus the check I recieved. I believe then it was considered a salvage title but I got my car back. I'm not sure if things have changed since then or other states have different rules regarding salvage title, but might be an option in case. I hope the best for you and thankfully no one was hurt.
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may not be worth reporting to the insurance company as that could cost more. My bigger concern would be frame damage of some type or elongated holes for the A-arm mounts. Again, all fixable.

Really sorry to see this happen. The good news is that you have LOTS of Fiero community support!

------------------
Paul

My IMSA Build: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/789315
HHP Adjustable Sway Bars: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/036556.html

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The lower panel behind the door lies directly on the B-pillar outer shell. Directly behind the point of impact is internal bracing for the B-pillar. Your best bet will be cutting out the damaged area and welding in donor metal. I doubt that it can be pulled out.
Check your body gap across the roof, the trunk gaps and the driver side door gaps to see if they have moved. Also take a very good look at the knuckle, as appears the wheel took part of the impact. The knuckle can bend, and your lower control arm is probably bent as well, as well as the toe link.
Its fixable. Its just a bad area to take a hit in.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-14-2014).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dam that sucks but lucky you were in a Fiero, they really are one of the safest cars to get T boned in, we had a member have that happen and it really did total the car, but the superstructure did its job and protected him to the point the passenger side was mashed and his drivers door still opened just like normal.

sorry to hear it happened yet again to another low mileage one though, there are so few left and that number is getting smaller every day. you didn't say anyone got hurt, I hope you guys didn't. the car like someone else said is a thing and repairable or worst case scenario replaced. people are not.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

PFF
System Bot
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few questions for anyone who would know: how should I go about getting the best value from the other person's insurance company? I'm having the best body shop in town give me an estimate, and I may go ahead and hire an independent appraiser as well. My insurance company's appraiser will be taking a look at the car either today or tomorrow.

I know not to sign anything yet, but any tips would be appreciated. I know to point out the rarity, collectible nature, low miles, and T-tops, but I have no idea how to determine values based on those numbers. I just want to get the settlement value to be as close to the repair cost as possible.
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would fix that if it were mine.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Documentation of maintenance, any upgrades, mileage, etc.
Search for what other Fieros in LIKE condition have sold for in your area.
They have a limit on time that they must settle in, use that to your advantage.
Professional appraisal by a certified appraiser of collectable cars, not just the insurance guy.
Clean and detail the car prior to the appraisal, but don't wash it. Engine bay, interior, front compartment.
DO NOT LET THEM PRESSURE YOU.
It once took me 6 months to settle on my 85 GT when it got hit in front of my house. I got what I wanted out of it.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You also have the Fiero value guide that Paul Vargas puts out and the NADA collectible value book.
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tips.

Turns out the other car was an Expedition, not an Explorer. Whatever. It seemed big.

I just went to look at the car. It looks like the wheel issue is just a bent tie rod (the tie rod just bent straight up), but that's without lifting the car or anything. But the tie rod is definitely bent. And you know what's funny about that? I just happened to buy a tie rod from Rodney Dickman years ago, but I didn't end up needing it. So...I dug it out and it's ready to go in. The tie rod mount on the cradle even looks fine.

As for the impact area on the B pillar, it looks like the B pillar shell collapsed and took the impact.

I guess I'll weld in a section from a good donor, but it seems fixable at this point. My story to the other person's insurance company, of course, will be full of tales of woe and damage and such.

[This message has been edited by go_home_red (edited 04-14-2014).]

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I save all nicer Fieros in my Watch List that go thru eBay. When they sell for more than what I paid, I print them out. I have a stack of comps to use when this dark day comes for me. I got screwed by State Farm after about 20 years with the same agent so I am now with Liberty Mutual. I have their "Better Car Replacement" insurance that promises in the event of a total, they pay you the value of a car one year newer and 10 thousand miles fewer. This obviously isn't as set in stone as agreed value but I have zero restrictions on how I use the car. I don't have to keep it in a locked garage, have a second car, park it in bad weather, I can commute to work/school with it, unlimited miles. It all sounds good but the proof will be the day I finally need them. We'll see.
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how things work there but here the person that hit you is respo0nsable for the damage. Of course inform your insurance company and get a copy of the accident report, I hope there is one. Did the other driver get a citation from the police for the accident? Stand your ground with their insurance company, when you tell them you may have to get an attorney involved you will find them more receptive. You may have to get it fixed by a professional for the insurance company to sign off on it. Explain to the adjuster, if there is one, that you depend on the car for transportation to and from work most of the time. Perhaps a couple of little white lies but they get results, just remember to cross you fingers when you tell them. Good luck and keep us posted as things progress.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please post a photo or three of the backside of the door pocket by the latchpin.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

I don't know how things work there but here the person that hit you is respo0nsable for the damage. Of course inform your insurance company and get a copy of the accident report, I hope there is one. Did the other driver get a citation from the police for the accident? Stand your ground with their insurance company, when you tell them you may have to get an attorney involved you will find them more receptive. You may have to get it fixed by a professional for the insurance company to sign off on it. Explain to the adjuster, if there is one, that you depend on the car for transportation to and from work most of the time. Perhaps a couple of little white lies but they get results, just remember to cross you fingers when you tell them. Good luck and keep us posted as things progress.

And if all else fails. Oooohhhh, my neck. It's really hurting bad!!!!
oldbikeracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you may also have a hip injury since it was mostly a side impact, all sorts of physical injuries could show up even days after an accident. If you had passenger they could also have hidden injuries. Perhaps you could borrow Grandfathers neck brace and walker for the meting with the insurance company. Good luck with it all, just do not mention any possibly border line actions here.
PFF
System Bot
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2014 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldbikeracer:

I think you may also have a hip injury since it was mostly a side impact, all sorts of physical injuries could show up even days after an accident. If you had passenger they could also have hidden injuries. Perhaps you could borrow Grandfathers neck brace and walker for the meting with the insurance company. Good luck with it all, just do not mention any possibly border line actions here.

Not sure what you mean by "border line actions" here...but it sounds exciting.
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! We were taking one of our other cars to the alignment shop this morning, and look who we saw when we got there:

It isn't quite done, but the door opens very easily. Apparently the body shop is still shopping for the trim pieces. The replacement rim is sitting in a box in the car. Overall, it is looking pretty nice:

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you cant find state side I have all the missing trims you need ...
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2014 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your plates are Nebraska. I'm not sure where 7 county is. I'm in Lincoln. I know several Fiero's in Omaha area. Are you familiar with our facebook page? Midwest Fieros. We just had a tech day in Omaha a couple weeks ago. Always good to meet another local Fiero owner! There is an All Pontiac show and shine in Lincoln this August. You should come.
go_home_red

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go_home_redSend a Private Message to go_home_redEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

If you cant find state side I have all the missing trims you need ...
regards
Danyel

I will let you know. The shop is saying they can find them...and I'm all about letting them do all of the work!

Originally posted by sledcaddie:

Your plates are Nebraska. I'm not sure where 7 county is. I'm in Lincoln. I know several Fiero's in Omaha area. Are you familiar with our facebook page? Midwest Fieros. We just had a tech day in Omaha a couple weeks ago. Always good to meet another local Fiero owner! There is an All Pontiac show and shine in Lincoln this August. You should come.

I'd not heard of Midwest Fieros. I might have to get out my Fiero to go with my wife's for that show in August! ;-)
Greg Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Greg ZSend a Private Message to Greg ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed it, but what was the estimate? Did Ins pay you or the Body Shop directly?
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, a friend told me 7 is around Norfolk. Is that right?
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow you are lucky, they never would have fixed that up here. Anything older than 15 years, I think they get a raise everything they write it off. I've seen low mileage trans ams get written off for less damage.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock