Started on: 02-28-2014 11:58 AM
Replies: 26 (523 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 03-04-2014 09:39 PM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just got of the phone with our insurance company (Infinity Auto). Renewal rates went up 15% again (same story every 6 months) even though we have the same cars, liability/BI/UM/PDL/PIP only, haven't moved, no claims, same drivers....

The last rate for the Fiero was $408 and for our BMW $440 every 6 months. Now the combined rate is supposed to go up to $1,000.84!!! I'm telling you, insurance rates is what will ruin this country and its people, I have never seen something like this anywhere else (same with our health insurance and not due to ACA)...

Anyways, I need to find another company today. Suggestions? I can't do the collectors/classic car insurances because we live in a condo building and I don't have an enclosed garage.

Sorry about the rant...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We use Allstate and have been very happy, but we are in Texas. It really surprised me just how good they are to deal with.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to switch every couple of years because they give low teaser rates and then increase every 6 months. They all seem to do that except Progressive. I switched to them a few years ago and they go down every 6 months. Then I got the snapshot device and my rates went down dramatically. Won't help on a Fiero, but if you have an OBD II car plug the device in for a month and if you are a good driver, (for that month anyway) your rates go down forever.

My rates are insanely low, I'm paying $407 for full coverage (100/300/100) on two vehicles both 2007. Wow I just checked and I'm paying $7 for loan payoff that I need to get rid of so my rate should go to $400 even!

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-28-2014).]

dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use shelter. mine runs about 128.00 /6 and if paid yearly 235.00. (discount if paid yearly)
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have had good rates from Progressive and Auto Owners of (insert your state here).
I agree, insurance rates and needs are ridiculous.
Good luck in your search.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
talk to an independent agent and see if they can find a policy that will save you money. It is hard to compare State to State as they are all different.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try GRUNDY ----They write full coverage agreed value thru their parent company in most states---- not sure about Florida but worth a try
www.grundy.com/‎
Their add says --
Grundy Insurance offers Agreed Value coverage for everything important in your world. From classic cars and antique boats, to daily drivers, motor homes
Grantman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progressive saved me a bundle. Fiero is full coverage as a collector with another company for $92/year. Under 2,500 miles a year though. That might not work. Depends on what parts i replace this year.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No help as far as a new insurance company, but useful information for insurance:

A lot of people do not realize that insurance prices are very much based on your credit score. If you have a low credit score expect to pay much higher insurance rates than the same person with a similar car and a good credit score.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pay State Farm $250 for 6 mth. full coverage on a 85 GT. I am in North Central FL. the rates are quite a bit higher in South Florida due to higher losses there from theft and accident claims.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Grundy for three Fieros $400+ for agreed value, garage stored. Travelers for my DD (06HHR) $80/month. You do realize some of the worst drivers in the US are in Miami so with all the uninsured there and unlicensed drivers rates will be high.
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best quote was Progressive, by far. Now paying $371 for both cars for 6 months...
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Best quote was Progressive, by far. Now paying $371 for both cars for 6 months...

Wow! That's a nice reduction from $1000. Same coverage?

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progressive will slowly creep up also. I'm with them, and even after the yearly additions, they are still the lowest in the area. One of my cars was hit by a drunk and totaled and they settled it quickly and fairly. I think I had a check within a week. I can't complain...
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I told you! That Flo is amazing. I've been expecting them to creep up, but been with them since 2009 and it's gone down every time.
amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Hagerty same rate for the last 5 years full coverage. Two fieros payoff value 15 grand each no hassels. 440 a year.Had grundy they were terrible too many restrictions. You might see if that is a fit for you.

------------------
1984 Indy Pace Car\1988 Formula Custom\1986 turbo GT
Founder of Mason Dixon Fiero Owners Group
NYFOC Member

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

I have Hagerty same rate for the last 5 years full coverage. Two fieros payoff value 15 grand each no hassels. 440 a year.Had grundy they were terrible too many restrictions. You might see if that is a fit for you.

Just curious....what restrictions did Grundy have that Hagerty does not? I thought that all collector insurance was about the same?
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your BMW is a more popular car for theft so some companies may charge a premium as it costs them more from all the claims.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

I think your BMW is a more popular car for theft so some companies may charge a premium as it costs them more from all the claims.

We only carry liability an uninsured motorist insurance (plus BI/PIP) in our cars so that shouldn't be a factor.
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have all my Fieros with Hagerty. Easy to work with & rates good. I've been lucky not to need them but I know some that have and they were good to them too.

Vince

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 03-02-2014).]

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
JScott PM Sent
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We only carry liability an uninsured motorist insurance (plus BI/PIP) in our cars so that shouldn't be a factor.

OMG, I just realized that $1,000 quote did not include comprehensive or collision. Wow.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our agent switched us a little over a year ago to Fremont Insurance. Great rates! We switched both cars with full coverage and our home and saved $$. Yes I have full coverage on the Fiero, it is a daily driver. The fiero because of age had to be appraised by an professional appraiser. My agent recommended Ike(from Jenison, MI) and he was great! He used to own a body shop, Sold vehicles for a while and a few other jobs, he is an Corvette expert and travels all over the US for them. He did a great job on my 88 then it got hit and his appraisal was quite accurate as I tried to find one and they were running about what he figured, which at first I thought his appraisal was high until I tried to find a replacement.

So all you Michiganders should look into Fremont Insurance, from Fremont, MI. I would imagine that they sell insurance all over the US.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 03-02-2014).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Progressive will slowly creep up also. I'm with them, and even after the yearly additions, they are still the lowest in the area. One of my cars was hit by a drunk and totaled and they settled it quickly and fairly. I think I had a check within a week. I can't complain...

Check into Fremont Insurance. We saved a bundle.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

I would imagine that they sell insurance all over the US.

Uh no. Actually the opposite: "Fremont Insurance has been insuring and investing in Michigan exclusively since 1876."

They only sell insurance in Michigan.

Insurance is a lot like lawyers, they are only licensed to sell insurance where they have qualified to do so. Some companies specialize and some go to the trouble to be nationwide.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Fremont is good, but only available in MI. My independent agent found Fremont for me. That is why it is important to talk to an agent, even if you think you are getting the best deal online.... sometimes there are companies you don't know about because they don't have flashy ads.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Yup, Fremont is good, but only available in MI. My independent agent found Fremont for me. That is why it is important to talk to an agent, even if you think you are getting the best deal online.... sometimes there are companies you don't know about because they don't have flashy ads.

When I met my wife 13 years ago she was insured with an independent agent for quite some time. So we stayed with him and he as several times switch us to other companies to save us $$ and offer the same coverage. I agree Independents have more to offer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock