Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Another LS4 / 4T65-E powered swap completed (pics inside) (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Another LS4 / 4T65-E powered swap completed (pics inside) by Darth Fiero
Started on: 07-07-2013 07:43 PM
Replies: 100 (8170 views)
Last post by: Tom Slick on 09-29-2016 06:15 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2014 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave E Bouy:

I mounted my N* ECM/TCM much the same way you did on your first LS4 swap but I really like the way you've mounted these. Are these mounted directly to a piece of the metal frame or are they isolated from the frame like the earlier swaps? Enquiring mind need to know.....

DF

The ECM and TCM shown in the earlier pictures are both mounted to a piece of plastic. The plastic "plate" they are mounted to is then screwed to the sheet metal body. I did this to isolate the ECM and TCM cases from chassis ground - for good reason. If you allow the ECM and TCM to ground to chassis and ever have your battery cable to engine block ground become disconnected for any reason and try to crank the engine, you can fry not only the computer(s) but also the engine wiring harness.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 04-30-2014).]

IP: Logged
KVCFIERO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KVCFIEROSend a Private Message to KVCFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

Finally got me some new Enkei Raijin wheels (18x8 front, 18x9.5 rear) and installed my big brake kit (13" front & 12" rear)

Nice fit on the car are they 5X100 wheels? The car is a beauty
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KVCFIERO:
Nice fit on the car are they 5X100 wheels? The car is a beauty

yes they are 5x100 wheels

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 08-15-2020).]

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tom,
The car looks really good man. I bet you are enjoying the heck out of it. Quick question for you...did a body shop do the hood scoop? Looks like a Warber style from Archie. I bought one from him like 2 years ago and finally got around to hoping to have a body shop fiberglass it into a spare hood I have. Just trying to figure if they are gouging me on price. They told me like $700 to do that and paint it. Feel like that's kind of steep but I dunno. Should have bought the finished hood from Archie for $400 all done and just have them painted lol.

yes they are 5x100 wheels

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2014 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rare87GT:

Tom,
The car looks really good man. I bet you are enjoying the heck out of it. Quick question for you...did a body shop do the hood scoop? Looks like a Warber style from Archie. I bought one from him like 2 years ago and finally got around to hoping to have a body shop fiberglass it into a spare hood I have. Just trying to figure if they are gouging me on price. They told me like $700 to do that and paint it. Feel like that's kind of steep but I dunno. Should have bought the finished hood from Archie for $400 all done and just have them painted lol.

If it's a professional body shop/collision center, and not a Maaco or similar, they'd probably still charge you $400 to paint it, and you'd still be out $800.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my entire Formula painted for $1600. Lots have seen the top notch quality of the paint job at the 30th. Maybe I'm just a little greedy. Lol

Originally posted by dobey:

If it's a professional body shop/collision center, and not a Maaco or similar, they'd probably still charge you $400 to paint it, and you'd still be out $800.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got my entire Formula painted for $1600. Lots have seen the top notch quality of the paint job at the 30th. Maybe I'm just a little greedy. Lol

Panels off paint job, and you did all the prep work prior to taking the panels in for paint?

Prep work is a huge part of the expense. If a shop is going to glass in a scoop, then that is a lot of prep work they're going to have to do.
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Panels off paint job, and you did all the prep work prior to taking the panels in for paint?

Prep work is a huge part of the expense. If a shop is going to glass in a scoop, then that is a lot of prep work they're going to have to do.

Panel off paint job, they did all the prep work and then painted the car. $1600 total out the door. Toner Red (Sherwin Williams paint)

I got a heck of a deal, just got a little frustrated at the notion that they can do the hood scoop probably but it will or might shrink after they are done. It's like well thanks for doing it and then telling me it will most likely shrink out after lol.

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 07-08-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Panel off paint job, they did all the prep work and then painted the car. $1600 total out the door. Toner Red (Sherwin Williams paint)

I got a heck of a deal, just got a little frustrated at the notion that they can do the hood scoop probably but it will or might shrink after they are done. It's like well thanks for doing it and then telling me it will most likely shrink out after lol.

Oh, that's crazy. Are they just going to Bondo it in or something? I could see it breaking out if they did a poor job of installing the scoop in the first place, but using the right compound it shouldn't have any issues.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2015 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dipped job #4, ready for Hot Rod Power Tour.

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-11-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A few shots in Gulfport MS after traveling with the Hotrod Power Tour.

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2015 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great! What did people on the Power Tour think of your car?
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2015 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Looks great! What did people on the Power Tour think of your car?

They loved it. They knew something good was in it when I drove by.
All the props go to you, thanks...
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2015 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any more details on the exhaust valve? Manufacturer, model, or part number? I'm planning an exhaust system right now and would love to incorporate something like that.
pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2015 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really very impressive all the mechanical knowledge you have.

I'm just a monkey that can do what I see in an illustration if it simple enough.

Just awesome.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

Do you have any more details on the exhaust valve? Manufacturer, model, or part number? I'm planning an exhaust system right now and would love to incorporate something like that.

I bought it off eBay and had it shipped to Ryan where he did his mechanical magic and made if functional. I tried looking in my eBay history to get more details but nothing of importance came up.
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2015 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought it off eBay and had it shipped to Ryan where he did his mechanical magic and made if functional. I tried looking in my eBay history to get more details but nothing of importance came up.

Thanks for the info!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry Tom, I can't remember the specifics of where you got it from either. I do remember that it was a vacuum operated exhaust valve. I think it would close the exhaust valve with vacuum present and it would open it when the vacuum went away (such as what would happen at full throttle) - if I remember how it worked correctly.
Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2016 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dipped job #5

Thanks

PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page